BRC post office

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

BRC post office

Postby xhoosier » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I am sure there is a thead on there for the post office but when I searched I did not find it.

Are there any openings to work in the post office. I would like to do this for an afternoon or something. please let me know who I would contact to find out details.

thanks,
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Re: BRC post office

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Once you know they like to abbreviate themselves BRCPO (Black Rock City Post Office) they're not as hard to find online. I like to enter "2011" to help narrow it down though.

http://www.facebook.com/brcpo

They take walk-up volunteers daily. *google* *google* Here you go:

BRCIPO (9 Plaza) Volunteer Orientation
http://playaevents.burningman.com/2011/ ... vent/4398/
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I've been meaning to do a post office shift for years. Never seem to get around to it!

Sounds like fun. Walking around the city bringing people mail. Hunting them down. Asking around looking for people. I feel like it could take all day to find someone though.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby The Postgoddess » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 pm

We love volunteers! (We couldn't have so much fun playing Post Office with out you.) There is not better way to meet people, get to know the city and truly participate than delivering mail. Check out all the info on our website: [url]http://brcpo2oh.weebly.com/participate.html[/url] (How to send mail tO BRC is there too!)

XOXXX,
The Postgoddess
BRCPO 2.Oh in the 9:00 Plaza
"No matter where you go, there you are."
The Postgoddess

Postby recycled art truck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Dear Postgoddess (or Current Goddess of Post)

I am a philatelist who wants to be a playaphilatelist and therefore I need some "Playa Mail" from the BRC Postal System. So how do I send you something in order to get some great BRC or theme envelopes back? Since the USPS does not work well in conjunction with a no money economy and since I cannot get BRC postage stamps along with my groceries down at Smith's or Raleys, I can send pre stamped usps envelopes and a bribe, er, consumables, or send a whiny little note saying that I am from Nigeria and I collect money from foreign countries and paper and high value coins are my favorites? (and get a nasty letter back (stamped from the playa) telling me what to do with my request...)

I realize that poor planning on my part does not create an emergency on your part, but time is running out for this year so please let me know,

I will be happy to send free "things" out to the BM InterNation if you will send me Playa Mail. I will even send a Self addressed stamped envelope for you creative types to have fun with. If you don't want the possible remnants from my lint trap or old safety deposit box, Please just send me a letter to

"Recycled" Slim Sirnes' Art Truck, c/o his twins, P.O.Box 5, Goldfield, Nevada 89013

My Dad enjoyed Burning Man for many years and was a part of the Art Car Camp. Even though he is no longer at BRC (or on the planet) in person, his truck will be making a trip there in the future.
recycled art truck

Postby Sham » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:04 pm

First, as a philatelist, what you do in the privacy of your world is your business, but I don't want to know about it.
Second, and more seriously, Black Rock Post Office can send letters out to civilization with a U.S. postage stamp on it, and it will have a Burning Man cancellation on it. Letters or post cards can be sent. There is really no delivery into the event, but letters can be sent to other campers if a camp address is provided.
If you can get a letter in the hands of someone attending, it can be sent to you. (as I type this, I can do it for you without any big issue) I never met your dad, but knew of him. I never camped with him, but he would have had to have been there more than 10 years ago.
Is the address to send it on your post correct?

edit, post card addressed and ready to go!! :D
Sham

Postby recycled art truck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Thank you for being so prompt! I have envelopes from 1946 that show it took a day and a half to get from San Diego to Steamboat Nevada but I have a recent letter from south Reno that took 3 days to get to Sparks... I like your service better.

My Dad, Slim Sirnes, fell in love with Burning Man, the first time he attended, and continued to visit the Playa every year until 2003. He said that the people out there are DOING things, they are alive, they can THINK. I remember going down to the Melting Pot here in Reno to pick up tickets for him as soon as they went on sale, and on his 8th (and final trip) he took along his wife, Ditto.

Later that year (2003) he was rushed to a hospital in Las Vegas with a thorasic anurism. Because he was an IP (inconvenient person) with the attitude that he had a right to know what was going on with his health, they drugged him and kept him sedated for months "for his own good." We eventually got him liberated from the tender mercies of the medical establishment and got him back to being himself. But he still had the untreated anurism and when he went to have it fixed, he passed away on December 1, 2005.

At the Burn in 2006, we sent his coat, one of his Aluminum headbands and pockets filled with good bye and good luck letters out to the Playa. They stayed with the Art Car Camp until the end.

Meanwhile, My sister and I got the truck and have been fixing it back up. It took 3rd place in the Goldfield Days Parade last week. Eventually, my son will be taking it out to Burning Man, but not yet.

Anyway, Yes the address is good, and remember, Philately will get you ANYWHERE....

Thank you again,
Cycle and Recycled
recycled art truck

Postby Sham » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 am

I will be having a dinner with some of the 2003 charterers that your father camped with. I will be sure to raise a glass and toast the memory of your father with Harrod, Flash and the gang! I'm sure the great stories will start to flow!
Sham

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 am

Shambala wrote: ... There is really no delivery into the event, but letters can be sent to other campers if a camp address is provided.

There IS delivery into the event. If you have a good camp address, you can receive letters from the outside world. I've gotten mail a number of years from my "civilian" friends.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=44669&p=714160&hilit=ranger+beauty#p714160
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:19 am

Would they care much if the enclosed postcard was perforated in nice little 1/4" squares?

AntiM wrote:
Shambala wrote: ... There is really no delivery into the event, but letters can be sent to other campers if a camp address is provided.

There IS delivery into the event. If you have a good camp address, you can receive letters from the outside world. I've gotten mail a number of years from my "civilian" friends.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=44669&p=714160&hilit=ranger+beauty#p714160
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 am

junglesmacks wrote:Would they care much if the enclosed postcard was perforated in nice little 1/4" squares?

AntiM wrote:

Or possibly a an envelope with 100 or 200 3/8" *mints* inside?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:28 am

One can never have fresh enough breath on the playa, I mean really! At least a few a day is the way to be.

illy dilly wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Would they care much if the enclosed postcard was perforated in nice little 1/4" squares?

Or possibly a an envelope with 100 or 200 3/8" *mints* inside?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to Get Involved!