who needs what

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: who needs what

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:44 am

yeah, ok.......that's what I was thinking, just didn't know the name......I'll start looking into it.
thanks a lot for the help.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Best latches I know of.
http://www.protex.com/

Gorgeous hose clamps
http://www.protex.com/catalog/index/parent/Bandclamps

The small locks are called cam locks.
Most are cheap, but some are well made.
There are many fittings that can be used on the end, and they can be customized, but they are limited in some applications.
Some can use different cylinders.
If you use cheap ones, it will be cheaper to order them ka, than to rekey them, unless you do it yourself.

I did see an interesting setup on a toolbox recently that didn't lock the door, but blocked the mechanism used to open the latch.

A system locking all doors at once might be worth considering.
Electric is another possibility.
gyre

Postby Sail Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Hmmm, I'm familiar with these cabinets and how the handles operate. Your looking at a clean system to lock these, i.e. no nasty padlocks hanging off the cabinets etc.

A tip I read about in a sailing book talked about securing hatches on the outside of the boat where you didn't see the securing mechanism.

You secure them from the inside.

Line (or cable) was attached to a sm bale on the inside of the hatch (in this case a cabinet door) that was routed to an out of the way place and secured.

On our pumpers using this concept you could route a cable (consider plastic coated cable, not un-like a dog leash/cable) out the backside into the hosebed area and either route all cables to one termination/locking point for the ease of un-locking one side at a time, or route them individually to a lock for simplicity. Depending on your tank configuration you may also be able to route them to a lock under the bottom side of each cabinet.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I've been toying with a similar concept, SM........that helps though.
yeah, many ways to go.......

I'm a little worried about dimensions of my camper on the firetruck........it looks like I'll be pushing 14' tall. Yeah, legal limit is 14', but, those pesky low phone and cable tv wires.......hahhaa
and, it'll be hanging a fair ways out the back, as far as the rear axle is concerned.
I'll need to find out, how far back behind the axle is ok. IIRC it was 2/3 of your wheelbase.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:51 am

ygmir wrote:I've been toying with a similar concept, SM........that helps though.
yeah, many ways to go.......

I'm a little worried about dimensions of my camper on the firetruck........it looks like I'll be pushing 14' tall. Yeah, legal limit is 14', but, those pesky low phone and cable tv wires.......hahhaa
and, it'll be hanging a fair ways out the back, as far as the rear axle is concerned.
I'll need to find out, how far back behind the axle is ok. IIRC it was 2/3 of your wheelbase.

The NEC has very specific guideline concerning power line height.

For power lines over sidewalks and platforms, not exceeding 150 volts, a minimum of 10' clearance is needed.

For power lines over driveways, non-commercial traffic, and residential property, not exceeding 300 volts, a minimum of 12' clearance is needed.

When we move up to power lines over public streets, roadways without truck traffic and alleys, with voltages of 300-600 volts, a minimum clearance of15' is required.

And for power lines over alleys, public streets, non-residential driveways, roadways with truck traffic, with maximum voltages of 600 volts, a minimum clearance of 18' is required.

DOT has similar requirements for phone and cable lines. If you are under 14' (13'11" is under 14' :) ) and you clip off a bunch of phone lines going down a roadway that has commercial truck traffic on it, it is their problem, not yours.

I knew a truck driver that took out phone lines for 6 blocks going down main st in a small town. Local cops wanted to arrest him, highway department measured his truck height and said nope, your lines were lines were too low.

I am going to have the bus topped out at 13' this year when I add my roof deck railings.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 am

thanks CAp'n.

yeah, I think I'll be ok, looks like I'll be about13'6".........I'll know exactly when I set the camper in the back......now though, my concern is, the body of the truck, extends back about 3' from the axle, and, the back of the camper (dropped for holding tanks) extends about 3' from the back of the truck body.
and, I think my wheelbase is about 14' (axle to axle). it says 2/3 wheelbase is the most allowable. I'm wondering if I can go over, if I just "flag" it?
I can't find a clear answer on the DMV site. Dang.
I'll get accurate measurements and, know more, soon.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 am

Yeah, the rear overhang I have no idea on. I do know it can really fuck up some handling dynamics if you go to far out and put too much weight back there. I am quite intrigued to see this homebrew greatness you are discussing.

Most of the big ass motor couches out there these days are in that same height range of 13' as well.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby delle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Sorry. Totally on a different topic here, but it seemed the right forum.

I might need some bikes. Like 3 or 4 of them, actually. There are 6 of us coming in with a trailer that's traditionally overheaped when hauling the stuff of TWO, and I was hoping that I could somehow procure some already on site. I'd heard that someone amassed ones left behind and sold them (or "rented them out") for very reasonable prices. Does anyone know who this would be and how to contact them?

I'd also not be able to bring them back out, so would need to be able to make arrangements not to leave them as moop. For this reason "rental" seems the better term.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:32 pm

I think the Kiwanahs rent them in Reno.
I've also heard, but don't remember where, of different folks renting them........CL might have some.
I may have an extra or two, I'll see if they work.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

2-foot rebar

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I need half-inch rebar in 2-foot lengths again, dammit, the box with my tarps and stakes arrived in Vegas damaged, and my rebar stakes are gone. :cry:

Anybody know where I can buy these in quantities of less than 100? They are no longer listed on the Home Depot web site.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:59 pm

yes, I do.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

ygmir wrote:yes, I do.

(((Yggy)))

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I am so happy for the two of you. Congratulations! 8)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I am so happy for the two of you. Congratulations! 8)

* noting Dougly's "Punometer" on "high"*

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 am

ygmir wrote:

Dougly hears twittering lovebirds everywhere he goes 8) because they are flying around his head.

Hope that is going well for you dude!

MyDearFriend

Re: 2-foot rebar

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:I need half-inch rebar in 2-foot lengths again, dammit, the box with my tarps and stakes arrived in Vegas damaged, and my rebar stakes are gone. :cry:

Anybody know where I can buy these in quantities of less than 100? They are no longer listed on the Home Depot web site.

Just a tip for anyone shipping stuff like this.

Many shipping problems occur from heavy stuff like this bouncing around inside the carton. Air space in the carton is your enemy.

Bundle the rebar tightly together and tape it with strong tape. I prefer 1 inch nylon reinforced tape but duct tape or pallet wrap (heavy duty cling wrap) also works. If there are several sizes, bundle them first by size then tape all the bundles together.

Stuff the carton tightly with something such as crumpled paper - really cram it in so the payload can't shift. If you can hear anything when you shake the carton it don't have enough stuffing. Avoid using bubble wrap or air pillows as they will pop if a heavy box takes a sharp impact - save that stuff for shipping delicate items. Foam peanuts only work if used properly and make a mess when you unpack so you might want to avoid those.

If possible ship the rebar separate from the tarps etc. Compressible items (soft stuff) and heavy steel are not well suited to packing in the same carton. Alternately stuff the soft stuff into a smaller inner carton that is packed tight (this will save to cost of shipping a second box).

On any boxes over 20 pounds after sealing with clear tape, I tape 1 inch nylon reinforced tape in 2 directions (across the seams and horizontally) and on heavier boxes I tape all the way around in 3 directions in case the box splits.

For most of my life I have been in the trucking, shipping, or mail order business so I hope this helps those of you who don't ship stuff on a regular basis. I pack and ship thousands of packages a year and very rarely get shipping damage.

Of course the occasional carton will take so much abuse nothing you do will matter - but you can minimize the risk.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

my rebar came back to me!

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Thank you DAB for that good advice!

I always tape my boxes all the way around in 3 directions, and, for long or heavy boxes put extra strips again at intervals of 6-8 inches. This particular box busted open at a crushed corner.

I had packed that box real tight and filled the extra space with tightly folded towels, AND I had placed the rebar inside the mailing tube I'd received my "Rites of Passage" poster in; the rebar just fit in the tube, and the tube just fit in the box. The mailing tube still had the first-class postage label on it, addressed to me :D and, apparently some wonderful postal worker put it back into the system by itself. 8) It arrived on my doorstep this afternoon.

My next plan is to try UPS, since, I am told that this cannot travel as checked baggage either. :cry:

MyDearFriend

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 pm

I need three more sets of hands and my weekend back.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Well I can't get your weekend back, Tamara, and, hmmmmm only one set of hands here and my arms won't reach to Texas.... so, I guess I'm not much help!

You might have to bring the Sparkle Stallion Airstream Adonis out to the playa one less manly boot-tutu. :cry: But, seems like you have all the essentials covered, right?

MyDearFriend

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Yes, essentials covered. Doing a dry ice/ice experiment this week, and that is the last of the survival stuff. But i WANT to work on elwire and sparkleys! And the double seater bike is still in pieces all over the living room. It would help if we actually had a work space, but we have to drag everything out, work for a while, then put it all back cause EVERYTHING is a choking hazard for Lillian. I need a garage. We have a covered shelter thing for the tractor etc, but not a garage really. What I should do is build a monkey hut in the backyard and work in there!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Sail Man » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:40 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Dougly hears twittering lovebirds everywhere he goes 8) because they are flying around his head.

Hope that is going well for you dude!

Around, or in? :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby DestinySummons » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 am

If anyone has some sort of shade structure my three person camp could use would be fantastic, our dome has been seemingly misplaced from our cross-country move
DestinySummons

Postby delle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 am

Anyone happen to have extra bikes I could rent-borrow-or-buy-then-return for the week?

I keep envisonning our tiny trailer heaped full of bikes with no room for the important stuff, and am by now POSITIVE that we won't be able to bring enough for the 6 of us.

And tho I'm told I worry too much, I'm a pretty good envisionner, and can't even begin to picture how we could bring these with us.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:04 am

delle wrote:Anyone happen to have extra bikes I could rent-borrow-or-buy-then-return for the week?

I keep envisonning our tiny trailer heaped full of bikes with no room for the important stuff, and am by now POSITIVE that we won't be able to bring enough for the 6 of us.

And tho I'm told I worry too much, I'm a pretty good envisionner, and can't even begin to picture how we could bring these with us.

one nice thing about bikes, is, they are easy to tie on things, and, weather resistant, so, can ride on a roof in the rain. Or, bumper rack.
I've made a couple of the racks, which bolt to the bumper of a trailer (or vehicle) and the bikes hang off the back on a double "arm".

Just a thought.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:32 pm

gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:46 am

I still have a lot of enclosed foam mattresses, in washable covers.
These are probably fire resistant foam.
They are hospital grade, from a care home, some fairly new.
I can get specs if anyone wants them or brand names on some.
These are fairly pricey new.

If you're coming through, let me know, or I will ship.
You pay shipping.
There will probably be someone coming through to the playa that could carry some.
They are bulky but not heavy.
I could ship a stack on a pallet.
gyre

Postby Cutter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm

delle wrote:Anyone happen to have extra bikes I could rent-borrow-or-buy-then-return for the week?

There are still bikes available to rent at [url]HammerAndCyclery.com[/url]. Rented bikes are DELIVERED TO THE PLAYA for pick up at camp Hammer And Cyclery (3:30 and Anniversary).
Cutter

Postby maryanimal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I have a spare tent and a single air mattress I can lend someone! (I'll be offering it up next year too!)

The tent is an 8' x 8' I think could be bigger! I set it up and it looks about that size.

The tent will sleep :
4 comfortably
3 comfortable with a some elbow room
2 more space and you can have 2 single air mattresses or one queen
1 person will be in hog heaven!!

PM me if you need it!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Gen ov eve » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello lovelies

I have finally booked my flight and am ready to roll. There are only a couple of things I am lacking, and will not be able to fly with -

While I am still going back and forth about tent stakes, even after lengthy time reading through ePlaya (rebar or military tent stakes), I am leaning toward the military tent stakes (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=571929) as suggested on a forum regarding rebar substitutes. Any additional comments appreciated. If rebar is a better option for the playa surface, I will need some. If you think these military stakes could hold down two tiny tents (one for storage and one for sleeping), then I won't need the rebar, otherwise, I'd need 8 pieces. Will anyone here be bringing extra? I would bring the rebar edge-protectors myself if so. Let me know.

I am sure many others are on the same boat with this one - I need a bike, to rent, borrow, and love during my stay at Black Rock City. I will arrive on the 29th and leave the on the 5th. I will be rolling into BRC on a bus coming from San Francisco, and they will be stopping in Reno for supplies, food and water. I just got the JRS newsletter and it seems I am too late. Oh well, no worries. I know not to count on community bikes, but I know they are there. If anyone has a playa ready bike for me to borrow, my gratitude would be endless, and I will be sure to keep it locked at all times, and to take care of it as it were my own and fix it if it breaks. Private message me if you are capable of bringing and/or will be bringing an extra bike to the playa. I already have lights for the ideal candidate :))

I am not panicking about these things, if anything I'll probably end up trying the military stakes (unless it is overwhelmingly warned against), and I could go without a bike, but prefer to do and see as much of the wonderful things people have brought to this years city. Thank you for reading, happy planning everyone!!
xx
Gen ov eve

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 am

Those aren't the type I mentioned, but if hardened, will do fine for the length.

I prefer the 12", but those are often enough.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Share Resources