Midwest Burners for 2012

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Midwest Burners for 2012

Postby marthamay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 am

Hello burners! I'm a virgin, and looking to group up with some wonderful burners for 2012. It may be a bit early, but I'm trying to get a jump start at meeting new people and organizing. I'm located in the Madison, WI area, and would love to find people nearby, but anywhere in the Midwest is just fine.

Also, I'd love to hear any advice for a first time burner. I've read the Burning Man website up and down, but more personalized advice is very interesting, and likely useful.

Thanks!
Martha
marthamay

Re: Midwest Burners for 2012

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Martha! 2012, eh? This is an excellent time to start. I'm glad you've read the Burning Man website up & down. People will no doubt test your veracity!

From the main Burning Man site, click "Regionals" in the small print at the top of the page. You can then click on a map and narrow in on your state or area. I'd join as many regional mailing lists as seemed appropriate, especially if you're near a state border, or are just-West of a state (someone from a state east of you might be driving through and want to rideshare).

"Advice for the first-time burner" is admittedly too broad for the likes of us. It's like saying "I need advice about living in India". We love to deconstruct the event into little tiny pieces, & specialize. So, come to the Q&A Tips and Tricks forum (under this Introduce Yourself forum) in order to recognize what you don't know. There's even a thread called "Advice for Newbs" (or similar) but you will note it's a very random thread, because it's just too hard to give advice on a topic as broad as "the Burn". Much easier to talk about "House rules for RVs" or "playa gifts".

Note: when searching ePlaya, consider employing google as well. Keywords like playa gifts eplaya or house rules for RVs eplaya work wonderfully in google. I've even plugged in usernames to find old threads I liked.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby NellieX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:05 am

My husband and I are in Minneapolis, and we're planning to de-burginize for the first time in 2012.

Welcome!
NellieX

Postby Cooky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Martha, there's an active regional Burning Man community in Wisconsin. Hit up "wisconsin@burningman.com" to get in touch with them. Also, we have many folks come from Wisonsin to Lakes of Fire, the Great Lakes Regional Burn that happens in June in West Michigan. You can jump on the ferry and come right across the lake.
Cooky

Postby shmalerie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:01 am

Hey Martha! (weird for me, that's my mom's name!)

burning virgin here! from Kansas, and planning for 2012 as well. My husband and I are taking a small RV and we may be forming sort of a caravan with a few other friends who want to go.

and I don't think it's too early! :D I have started a plan book and I have stuff to make lists for and a budget spreadsheet and maintenance reminders, etc, scheduled up until the week before the burn. as I have heard others say, the journey has already started!
Don't look down on somebody, unless you are helping them up.
shmalerie

Postby Mschivous » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Martha. I'm Monique. I am planning on going for the first time in 2012. I live in Mid-Michigan. I'm getting ready for next year as well. I found one person to join me and we are looking to buy a school bus to transform it into an art bus. I am looking for more people to join me.

The plan book is a really great idea shmalerie. I am going to do that.
Adventure is out there! *points* See you at the playa!
Mschivous

Postby shmalerie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:42 am

um...maybe I'm just tired and out of it.. what is all this ^^^^^
Don't look down on somebody, unless you are helping them up.
shmalerie

Postby BAS » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 am

Mschivous wrote:Hi Martha. I'm Monique. I am planning on going for the first time in 2012. I live in Mid-Michigan. I'm getting ready for next year as well. I found one person to join me and we are looking to buy a school bus to transform it into an art bus. I am looking for more people to join me.

The plan book is a really great idea shmalerie. I am going to do that.

Make certain you have a place to park it when you are not a Burning Man! (That is one thing which has stopped me from buying one for a conversion.)

Over in Q&A there is a thread about converting school buses:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27783

(If I messed up the url, the thread is on page five, I believe.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 pm

whassup?

Bump.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BAS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Well, spambots took over this forum while most folk were out in the desert. Other than that, not much that I would post in a public forum (and not Burning Man related, in any event.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby jodyNcolumbus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 am

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I have been to Burning Man in 09, 10 and 11. Thinking I will take 12 off, it was kind of grueling this year. So far, I have opted out of the regional events because I figure, how can it be the same without the magic playa dust? But on the other hand, it might be nice to meet open minded folks in my own part of the country...
"You don't go to Burning Man because you want to go, You go because you have to go."
jodyNcolumbus

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 pm

[quote="marthamay"]Hello burners! I'm a virgin, and looking to group up with some wonderful burners for 2012. It may be a bit early, but I'm trying to get a jump start at meeting new people and organizing. I'm located in the Madison, WI area, and would love to find people nearby, but anywhere in the Midwest is just fine.

Hey Martha, sorry I didn't see your post sooner. It's never too early to meet local burners :-) It seems like a long way off but it will be August before we know it. There is a fine group of folks in Milwaukee that run Snowflake Village and have frequent meetings in Brewtown. A friend & I went to their decompression & everyone we met seemed great. I was inspired by them & have been planning my 2012 burn ever since I met them. I wish I could attend more of their meetings but I just have not been able to recently. Just do a search for Wisconsin burners & their site should pop up. If not, PM me & I will get you the info. I know there are others from Madison that plan on attending in 2012 so you may want to check them out & meet local burners. I don't want to speak for Snowflake Village or seem like I represent them in any way but I can give you contact info if you choose to check them out. I live north of Madison so its not very ease for me to attend their meetings but I do intend on going to the next several & catch up with them. They have been going to burning man for many years & they can answer any questions you may have. Like I said they are very nice & creative people and made me feel very welcome so don't be shy.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby poosie_kat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 pm

jodyNcolumbus wrote:I live in Columbus, Ohio. I have been to Burning Man in 09, 10 and 11. Thinking I will take 12 off, it was kind of grueling this year. So far, I have opted out of the regional events because I figure, how can it be the same without the magic playa dust? But on the other hand, it might be nice to meet open minded folks in my own part of the country...

The magic isn't in the playa dust, the magic is in the burners. I think you'd be very surprised by what you can find and create at an event in your backyard,Scorched Nuts http://www.scorchednuts.com/. It's taking place this year on May 24th-28th down in Rutland, OH. It's beautiful, private, and people bring theme camps, art, and fire. 2012 seems like the year to check out as much burner action close to us as possible. And this being in your backyard, you'd have little to lose.

There stuff going on in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Indianapolis, to name a few a places you can find some open minded folks and burner family. I know we'd all love to see you. You can find us on Facebook (Burning Man Ohio, Burning Man Indiana, KOIpound, Scorched Nuts, Recycled Rainbow). If you'd prefer just to receive information of what's going on in the area without all the discussion, there are Burning Man announce lists for Ohio, Southern Ohio, Central Ohio, Northern Ohio, and Indiana (as well as MI, KY, PA and more), and you can find out a little more from the Burning Man website, under Regionals....just click your state and away you go. :D

Even if you can't make it to the playa this year doesn't mean you have to forgo the burn experience.
poosie_kat

Return to Regionals & Events