Art car/mutant vehicle history ?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Art car/mutant vehicle history ?

Postby Luma » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Wondering if anyone knows who the longest consecutively running bar-car is ? or where I go to find out? thanx...
Luma

Re: Art car/mutant vehicle history ?

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 pm

This isn't tickets. Experiences? Better than the yearly art thread. The mod is likely to do the move, so wait a bit before running off to cross-post.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm

There are some great books on art cars that can be purchased from Amazon. There is a great history on art cars going back to the early days of automobiles, but the art car as we know it today, go back to the 70's. Many of those car still exist today, and some of these cars roam the playa every year.
Check out Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=13&y=14
Sham

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Was not the original Mutant Vehicle carrying a propane tank and a brick on the throttle? It seems it exploded when shot with high powered rifles while racing across the playa.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Luma » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 am

thank-you... yes..I am well aware of art car history having been in the passenger seat of Larry Fuentes " Madcad " in the 1st Art Car Parade in Houston in 1985 ( with David Best)as I helped put it together and in the SF art car community in 60's n 70's ...yahda yahda yahda ... but what I was referring to was "bar-cars" in particular which I believe I've only seen on the playa? just curious as I have been bringing "Letucia" out for 10 years after she was the Temple Crew Bar-Car for 2 years ( 12 years running).. thanx..
Luma

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 am

Is it right to think of Harrod Blank in conjunction with the oldest Art Cars on the playa?
http://www.artcaragency.com/
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:57 am

I don't think the car "Oh MY God" will be on the playa this year, but Harrod probably will.

There was one year that he brought the Camera Van to the playa, and the dust nearly destroyed it. There were so many crack and crevices for the dust to get into, that it took weeks to clean. I'm sure that will never make it out to the playa again.
Sham

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:00 am

I saw that, way cool. Parked for the most part, I don't think he was allowed to drive it around, no?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 am

This was back in 2001 and art cars were much more welcome on the playa back in those days. There was so much dust that year, that there is still dust inside the lenses of most of the cameras to this very day! :roll:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/espressobuzz/4748294384/lightbox/
Sham

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:40 am

Shambala wrote:This was back in 2001 and art cars were much more welcome on the playa back in those days. There was so much dust that year, that there is still dust inside the lenses of most of the cameras to this very day! :roll:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/espressobuzz/4748294384/lightbox/

My very first year... ah.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am

Luma wrote:Wondering if anyone knows who the longest consecutively running bar-car is ? or where I go to find out?

yes..I am well aware of art car history having been in the passenger seat of Larry Fuentes " Madcad " in the 1st Art Car Parade in Houston in 1985 ( with David Best)as I helped put it together and in the SF art car community in 60's n 70's ...yahda yahda yahda ... but what I was referring to was "bar-cars" in particular which I believe I've only seen on the playa? just curious as I have been bringing "Letucia" out for 10 years after she was the Temple Crew Bar-Car for 2 years ( 12 years running)..

Did you already try the org's DMV (Department of Party Buses)? The org's institutional memory is as faulty as any institution's, but somebody might know. They might need a JPEG. In fact, our Dear Readers on the eplaya could probably use a JPEG.

That said, is there anything preventing you from claiming to have the longest running party bus, second only to Marian's golf cart?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I am pretty sure I have the longest running Dickmobile.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Experiences at Burning Man