UV Shields..

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

UV Shields..

Postby bassfaceee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am

This may be a stupid question but I am trying to think of ways to keep my tent shielded from the sun.. So I was wondering if I were to cover my tent with those UV shields that are used to cover car windows if it would have any effect what so ever.. Has anyone else tried something similar?
bassfaceee

Re: UV Shields..

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am

Are you really going to stick some clear UV window laminate on a tent? If you're really concerned, throw a UV-treated tarp over your tent and tie it down.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 am

In a nutshell, block the light and you'll block the heat. If you can see light coming through, it will heat up.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby bassfaceee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 am

BBadger wrote:Are you really going to stick some clear UV window laminate on a tent? If you're really concerned, throw a UV-treated tarp over your tent and tie it down.

Haha no Im not that dense... I was referring to those silver colored fold out shield things that you place in your front window... But I suppose a tarp made out of that material would be better I was just wondering if it would be any better than a regular tarp.
bassfaceee

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 pm

bassfaceee wrote:
BBadger wrote:Are you really going to stick some clear UV window laminate on a tent? If you're really concerned, throw a UV-treated tarp over your tent and tie it down.

Haha no Im not that dense... I was referring to those silver colored fold out shield things that you place in your front window... But I suppose a tarp made out of that material would be better I was just wondering if it would be any better than a regular tarp.

Ahhh... that's not a "UV shield". I assume you're talking about the thin silver ones and not the ones that look like silver bubble wrap. Yeah, any light/IR you can reflect away will help keep you cooler. I think a google or ebay search will find some big rolls of mylar bonded to cloth that you could use to build your shade. Don't try to make it out of straight mylar. It will tear and will be VERY loud. Picture living inside a mylar chip bag. ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Shelter & Camping