Separate need tickets and selling tickets

We're doing it wrong...we know

Separate need tickets and selling tickets

Postby mzcurlyhead » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 am

It would be sooooo much easier to search if these were separate categories!
mzcurlyhead

Re: Separate need tickets and selling tickets

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 am

Just ban "I want a ticket" threads completely. We know you want a ticket. Unles you're offering $1k for a ticket, you're nothing special. just read the damn threads selling tickets like everyone else.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am

capjbadger wrote:Just ban "I want a ticket" threads completely. We know you want a ticket. Unles you're offering $1k for a ticket, you're nothing special. just read the damn threads selling tickets like everyone else.

-Badger

+1
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 am

Agreed, it should be a Ticket Listings board.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby driza » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 am

It seems there are always people who get that awesome idea that "maybe someone would want to offer their cheap ticket to me if I told my story" before reading further on the board. Apparently it's faster to figure out that "I have reasons why I'd deserve that discount ticket (even more than some others)" than remember that there are also always thousands of other people who'd probably deserve it too, some more than me. If so many people do it I guess it's human. (And I try not to be too embarrassed to know that I partly did the same mistake. Only embarrassed enough to try learn from it.)

Well, I was writing a suggestion about just making a sticky about the board etiquette until I realized that I'm almost doing the same newcomer mistake again... and searched for etiquette-threads first. I found especially this pretty interesting thread: Am I The Ticket Curmudgeon?

I understand that there are problems with a board etiquette sticky (as here thread might suggest) but I have to say that I'm still wondering why there isn't one... Didn't I just find it? If I didn't, am I just blind/stupid or could it possibly be situated somewhere easier for the target group to spot? Or is it better that you'll know in the first place who are ready to read and search the forum before posting _without_ anyone mentioning it in the first ten threads they read? Or is this searching and wondering just what we are supposed to do and find out ourselves? I'm sure it's a great way of learning but then it'll probably cause the frustration in people who have to follow the threads with more and more people going through the same process... or is it then a lesson for the "veterans" to go over their frustration with it? ;)

What do you think?
driza

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:18 am

Used to be in the Community Guidelines, which used to be linked at the bottom of the index page. The guidelines and the TOS didn't make the migration. Spanky has been informed they need to be accessible.

Yes, we're flying without a posted TOS just now.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 am

Other than the fact that I don't feel anyone "deserves" a free ticket just because they can't afford one, I pretty much agree with everything else you said. People with hard luck excuses for begging for a free ticket would be better served staying home, reexamining their lives and fixing the situation so that they can afford a ticket next year.

I'd would have liked to have taken a ride on the space shuttle before it was retired, but I didn't have the half mil to do it. So, guess what? I didn't go!

driza wrote:It seems there are always people who get that awesome idea that "maybe someone would want to offer their cheap ticket to me if I told my story" before reading further on the board. Apparently it's faster to figure out that "I have reasons why I'd deserve that discount ticket (even more than some others)" than remember that there are also always thousands of other people who'd probably deserve it too, some more than me. If so many people do it I guess it's human. (And I try not to be too embarrassed to know that I partly did the same mistake. Only embarrassed enough to try learn from it.)

Well, I was writing a suggestion about just making a sticky about the board etiquette until I realized that I'm almost doing the same newcomer mistake again... and searched for etiquette-threads first. I found especially this pretty interesting thread: Am I The Ticket Curmudgeon?

I understand that there are problems with a board etiquette sticky (as here thread might suggest) but I have to say that I'm still wondering why there isn't one... Didn't I just find it? If I didn't, am I just blind/stupid or could it possibly be situated somewhere easier for the target group to spot? Or is it better that you'll know in the first place who are ready to read and search the forum before posting _without_ anyone mentioning it in the first ten threads they read? Or is this searching and wondering just what we are supposed to do and find out ourselves? I'm sure it's a great way of learning but then it'll probably cause the frustration in people who have to follow the threads with more and more people going through the same process... or is it then a lesson for the "veterans" to go over their frustration with it? ;)

What do you think?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:47 am

There is this, but I don't think anyone sees it. It's only one post, and just past it's sixth birthday. And I didn't get it a shiney...shiney...pres...shiney...ent...shi--

*two hours later*
Ahem! Anyway, the only reason I know it's there is that I wanted to post in it a couple of months ago.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby driza » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 am

Other than the fact that I don't feel anyone "deserves" a free ticket just because they can't afford one, I pretty much agree with everything else you said. People with hard luck excuses for begging for a free ticket would be better served staying home, reexamining their lives and fixing the situation so that they can afford a ticket next year.

I'd would have liked to have taken a ride on the space shuttle before it was retired, but I didn't have the half mil to do it. So, guess what? I didn't go!

You are right - just needing money doesn't make anyone deserve things for free. And I think that anyone who really can't afford going at all are not going. The ones who are at the edge of just barely being able to afford it would still be better off to have some back up cash just in case something goes wrong during the trip. But then there are a lot of people who can afford it but the level that it affects their budget varies as well as the idea of what is a reasonable budget. I think by posting "I need a ticket"-thread is a way of saying: "The extra few hundred dollars (or whatever price) would really make a difference in my life and I'd appreciate it even more than some". Not to say it would be any better than using the word "deserve" but it's harder to see that it's still the same idea. The same happens in everyday life too: People always feel they'd need at least a little more money to afford a few more things AND still keep the same level of expenditure in their normal lives. It's easy to see others do it but not as easy to realize it in ourselves (the ones that still struggle with it) because the money struggles really feel real. I don't think expecting or asking to get things for free would be wrong but the best help in the long run would be trying to open their eyes instead of giving money. Most of us even know this but realizing it in every action takes time and practise. Working on it.

I thought the trick was to be happy about having enough money already to survive and even travel. Now I think I'd be even happier remembering to enjoy the fact that I'm able to think and feel that I wouldn't need even that to be happy. I slight but important difference: being happy with the amount of money you have OR being happy about being able to affect the own idea about what is enough. At least made me happy to remember it again! Let's see if I'll remember it next time I can't afford to do something that I'd want. "Cooler than getting that experience is that I don't even need it."
driza

Return to ePlaya Feedback