hurricane tarp for shade structure???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

hurricane tarp for shade structure???

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm

ok been reading thread after thread decided on a monkey hut
ive heard of shade tarps no cheap flimsy tarps
i found this bugger at http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps-sin ... tarps.html
if any thing pretty sure it would hold in the wind aka hurricane tarp
just wanted to get some thoughts uv resiant and water proof if it rains :-)
subliminalkick

Re: hurricane tarp for shade structure???

Postby TensiTweeter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 am

A tarp and a tension fabric structure are two different things and it's important anyone know this who is planning on designing/building a shade structure to withstand hurricane wind loads. I'd look at www.usa-shade.com and depending on the application of the fabric either consulting with a shade rep at Shade Structures or FabriTec Structures. Both of these companies, brands of USA Shade, offer design and construction of fire-rated, wind-rated, warrantied shade structures built to code in whatever area you live or work. They're reputable and the leading North American tensile membrane providers. They specialize in permanent structures and have reps in the Southern States.
TensiTweeter

Postby ZenoBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

I wouldn't feel comfortable using that brown poly tarp. It's only 7 mil which is definitely on the thin side, plus the grommets are spaced 24 inches apart leaving a lot of stress to fewer grommets. UV wise I think it should be fine, the site doesn't provide much information to go off. As for water proof, any poly tarp shaped into a half tube should treat you fine for rain. It will run right off.

If you look on the site you posted, they offer a Super Heavy Duty Silver tarp that is much more what I would recommend, it's actually sturdier than the one I used last year. I built a 20x30 monkey hut last year using the Silver Heavy Duty Sun Blocker tarp from Creative Shelters. 12 mil with grommets every 18 inches. It held up well in the wind storms, no rain issues and creates great shade.

You might get by with the brown poly tarp but you're taking chances on it shredding and then being without shade. Go big on the tarp, you won't regret it.
ZenoBoy

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:00 pm

ZenoBoy wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable using that brown poly tarp. It's only 7 mil which is definitely on the thin side, plus the grommets are spaced 24 inches apart leaving a lot of stress to fewer grommets. .

Since you seem to have experience, I thought I'd ask. I just picked up a heavy duty silver tarp that's 10 mil (14x14 cross weave, 5.5oz/sq yard)and grommets every 18 inches...do you think it will hold up okay? It's going to be on a 12x15 monkey hut.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby ZenoBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

You should be fine. 10 mil is a decent thickness and having grommets every 18" is a better way to go.

Last year we were camping at 7:15 & C (C frontage) on the side away from the man. I setup my monkey hut broadsides to the wind coming from the SW, I didn't want to create a wind tunnel having the opening face into the wind. I brought the tarp down on that side all the way to the ground and cinched it down with a rope running the length of the hut, weaving it between the grommets, as you will see in the pic below. I ran ropes the length of the hut on both sides and attached them to rebar every 5 feet (see pic).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30317878@N ... 6/sizes/l/

Plus running a rope over the top of the hut between each rib, also anchored to rebar (see pic). Creating as much structural tension as possible. Things will move a bit in a wind storm which is fine, you want some give but not so much give that the pvc comes free of the joints at the top.

The guy who modified the Monkey Hut and is calling his the Galaxy Hut has some good ideas that I incorporated into my monkey hut.
http://galaxybeing.com/galaxyhut/

Keep in mind the wind can and will reverse on you so don't build up one side only.
ZenoBoy

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Cool, I was hoping it would work. I had my eye on one that was 14 mil, but it was more expensive and I'm trying to stay within a budget.

I'm setting it up this weekend to test it, I'll try out some of your stabilization techniques. Thanks!
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby subliminalkick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

thank you peps done some basic outdoor structures just never really had to deal with the winds out there
tryng to build the monkey hut so it encompases car and tent
subliminalkick

Postby wimala1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 pm

[quote="subliminalkick"]ok been reading thread after thread decided on a monkey hut
ive heard of shade tarps no cheap flimsy tarps
i found this bugger at http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps-sin ... tarps.html
if any thing pretty sure it would hold in the wind aka hurricane tarp
just wanted to get some thoughts uv resiant and water proof if it rains :-)[/quote]

well, living in the lovely location of south florida, i have a little experience with "hurricane tarps". i looked up the ones you are looking at and, in my opinion, these are aftermath tarps - for all of us with roof damage after the fact. there were a lot of them here after - francis, jean & wilma.

i am also building a monkey hut and my tarp is coming from creative shelters. it is VERY heavy, 100% light/rain proof and was recommended by the guy at galaxy hut. i was able to get a 20x24 for about $80.

just my 2cents
boyznme
wimala1

Postby subliminalkick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 pm

hmmmmm thanks as for the tarp suplier i was using dont know......... dont want to be expincive ..... great site and a bit cheaper tooo:-)
subliminalkick

Return to Shelter & Camping