Comfy shoes for the ladies?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Comfy shoes for the ladies?

Postby dandelion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

Hellooooo!

This year will be my first, and I need some recommendations from the ladies as far as foot wear goes. See, I want to pack the least possible and maybe bring 1 or 2 pairs of shoes and would like something incredibly comfortable that will look decent with almost everything (skirts, shorts, etc). I'm having a hard time, and I honestly don't like shopping arrgggh! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

dandelion

Re: Comfy shoes for the ladies?

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am

If you can part with the money, look into investing in a pair of Merrell hiking boots. I usually take 4-5 pairs of shoes with me out there. During the day when I'm walking/riding around, I always come back to the Merrells. I think the one's I have are Moab's. The only shoes I've had with me for the past 3 years that don't kill my feet at the end of the day.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 am

What you are comfy in at home, you will be comfy in on the playa. Seriously. Anything that you don't mind walking miles in.

All the footwear prep (personally) has always made me laugh a little. You know what I wear for 7 days straight in perfect comfort 24/7?

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 am

Free your mind, hon, and bring what works best for your feet. It really does not matter what they look like. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 am

Do not plan to go barefoot your first year!
Give it a shot, YES. Plan on it, NO!

My girlfriend and sister ended up sharing a bear of walmart knock off Uggs(Sp?)
They would fight over who got to wear them.
According to them they were tall enough to keep the dust out, nice and soft on the inside, and slid on and off easily.

Personally, I like hiking boots. But I wear boots everyday for work, either steel toe or hiking.
Like junglesmack said. Wear what you wear everyday!

And consider, instead of buying new Playa shoes, buy new defalutia shoes, and make your current everyday shoe your playa shoe.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 am

My wife is all about comfortable, but nice shoes all the time (I think she wore heels at our wedding, but really, that's about it) She is currently in love with the Teva Westwater IIs and will probably be picking up a second pair for the playa so she doesn't trash her current pair.
waxpraxis

Postby Turnip » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am

Flip flops with toe socks. 8)

also walmart knock off "ugg boots" for night. They might be a bit too sweltering during the day.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 am

Whatever you bring, it will be imbued with playa dust forever after. (yes, into the soul of the shoe) ((groan with me now))

Do bring at least one pair of comfy somethings to slip on in camp for potty runs.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ConnieH » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am

I wear cowboy boots all week, they seem to go with tutus really well ;-) I have two pairs, one red, one green, that I bought at the thrift store already broken in - put new gel insoles in them and they are comfy for miles every day. Easy to toss on. I also swear by smartwool socks (or REI version) - they breathe well and don't chafe.
ConnieH

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

waxpraxis wrote:My wife is all about comfortable, but nice shoes all the time (I think she wore heels at our wedding, but really, that's about it) She is currently in love with the Teva Westwater IIs and will probably be picking up a second pair for the playa so she doesn't trash her current pair.

Waxpraxis, I recommend your wife also bring a pair of closed shoes or boots, since she doesn't know how her skin will react with the dust. 'Cause the dust will get inside those Tevas immediately, then be trapped against her toes, because it can't flow back out as easily as they would even in open sandals. Then again . . . she might have tough feet like me and be fine with a lemon juice or vinegar sponging nightly followed by some thick lotion. But to be on the safe side, she should bring options. :)

Dandelion, if I could bring only two pairs of shoes to the playa, they would be my knee-high leather playa boots (conveniently dust-colored) which go with pants or skirts . . . (not so much with shorts, unless they are really short) . . . and flip-flops, for wearing around camp. This is only because I determined over the years--through careful trial and error--that my feet are not overly sensitive to playa dust as long as I take preventative care. Your mileage may vary.

(Gel insoles are nice for the boots.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for the heads up Savannah! The folks we're going with warned us about the nature of the dust and I've managed to convince my wife to get her first real set of boots in addition to those sandals.
She generally prefers open shoes in some form or another but enough talk about "playa foot" finally got her to hit Zappos and start looking around.

My buddy was just teasing me that I'm the only guy that has to convince his wife to go buy more shoes!
waxpraxis

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:10 pm

waxpraxis wrote:Thanks for the heads up Savannah! The folks we're going with warned us about the nature of the dust and I've managed to convince my wife to get her first real set of boots in addition to those sandals.
She generally prefers open shoes in some form or another but enough talk about "playa foot" finally got her to hit Zappos and start looking around.

My buddy was just teasing me that I'm the only guy that has to convince his wife to go buy more shoes!

FWIW, my take on "playa foot" is that most people that don't usually wear open toe/flip flops have much more sensitive feet than those of us that do. I have seriously zero issues with the dust.. it feels just like talcum powder. No worse, no less. I also live in flip flops 24/7 - 365 days a year in FL and Hawaii so my feet are used to the elements.

Don't be scared of a little dust!
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 pm

I think it's also a body chemistry thing (perhaps the pH of an individual's sweat) and sweat volume, for want of a better phrase.

I thought the playa dust was going to be like lava, so I was hilariously careful my first couple years. On the other hand, "playa foot", for those who get it, sure isn't fun.

Waxpraxis, there's no reason she shouldn't bring those Tevas (or some flip flops) to shove on in the mornings during breakfast or a walk to the potties. I don't like having sweaty encapsulated feet all the time either, so I understand your wife's impulse.
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

I live in Utah, where the climate is dry and our soil alkalai. My feet crack here, even in the summer. A little playa dust is fine for me, it does feel silky smooth, but my feet will crack and bleed if I don't wear socks every day.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mojojita » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I have had to glue people's heels back together time and again on the playa for those who go barefoot or in flips constantly. It seems to be about how dessicating the playa is. I think it is hardest for people with big build-ups of callouses because they dry out and crack open. Those that go barefoot in Hawaii or Florida don't have the drying effect so there is really no comparison. Here is what I tell newbs about why they need to protect themselves from the extreme dryness: Go make yourself a sandwich - when you first take the bread out of the bag, feel the bread. When you are finished making the sandwich, feel the bread. The second time, the bread will feel more like toast. That is what the playa atmosphere does to your skin as well.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Mojojita wrote:I have had to glue people's heels back together time and again on the playa for those who go barefoot or in flips constantly. It seems to be about how dessicating the playa is. I think it is hardest for people with big build-ups of callouses because they dry out and crack open. Those that go barefoot in Hawaii or Florida don't have the drying effect so there is really no comparison. Here is what I tell newbs about why they need to protect themselves from the extreme dryness: Go make yourself a sandwich - when you first take the bread out of the bag, feel the bread. When you are finished making the sandwich, feel the bread. The second time, the bread will feel more like toast. That is what the playa atmosphere does to your skin as well.

But you can't generalize! I'm here to tell you that I personally could walk barefoot in playa dust 24/7 for a week straight and be fine. I pretty much have done it. I know others that are the same way.

Not saying to not take precautions and take it slowly, but just that you can't generalize and you may in fact be just fine.
junglesmacks

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm here to tell you that I personally could walk barefoot in playa dust 24/7 for a week straight and be fine

of course I live in N. Nevada (in the desert) and go barefoot as often as I can and the fact that I have some tough-ass feet probably has a lot to do with it too.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Just bring the highest heels you have, that's all you should need. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:15 pm

I learned how spike heels fare on the playa during the floorshow of Rocky Horror Picture Show at Snowflake Village 2009. :lol:

There's a reason for all those wedge heels out there.
Savannah

Postby rana » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 am

I was pretty happy with my all-black Converse knee high boots, though the zipper did start to get stuck a little due to the dust. And they will never again be black. Oh well.
rana

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:22 am

It's flat out there. Not rocks and roots and clambering about. What is advised for any trip where you are going to be on your feet a lot? comfortable shoes, broken in. I like shoes and socks... I have a bunch of ankle socks, found bike socks to be nice for fun designs, and wicking properties. I like a closed toe, since a stubbed toe is no fun for a vacation, and there are lots of toe level metal stakes to consider. The sandal people and boot people all do fine as well. I've never done the vinegar, lemon, ph balancing washes, just wet wipes, or soap and water, clean socks. ymmv. Bring a few choices, wild fashion, solid comfort, durability, cool relaxing. If you are bringing new shoes, bring blister care, and a pair of flip flops for when the heels are barking.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby joya » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 pm

I will be wearing these (see jpg) again this year. Just super comfy affordable boots. Keeps the playa dust out and enables prolonged romping. Plus, they go with everything somehow... and honestly, unless your footwear is glowing or shooting flames, nobody pays it much mind.
Burning Man: I'm over it.
joya

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I like a punkish look. I wear knee high well broken in leather lace ups that are like Dr Martens. They MUST be low to the ground, absolutely no heel or platform, and comfortable and roomy. I need my feet protected entirely most the time. There are some fun socks on line. Google "Sock Dreams". You will be in heaven. Tall cotton fun socks and high comfortable boots that lace up work the best For Me. I have very dry feet and get playa foot easily so the more I protect them the better. Its so windy and dry out there that my feet don't sweat or get too hot in them, especially if I'm wearing very little otherwise ;) They can be a pain to take on and off so I switch them up with my good ole theraputic Ecco Yucatan sandals WITH Krazy sox. I know that is unorthodox everywhere but the west coast (dorks ;) but if you see the socks at Sock Dreams and wear fun socks they wont look so silly with sandals. This year Im going to rotate a pair of sneakers in with that and see how they faire. Anything comfortable that covers up my feet. If I do the sandal sock thing, I just spray vinegar water on my feet afterwards to keep playa foot at bay (and lotion) IF you do go for sandals, just clean your feet before bed with vinegar water or lemon juice water and wrap them up in lotion/herbal salve with some cotton socks when you sleep and your feet will be fine the next day. This is just how it works for me! Enjoy your Burn :)

OH YEAH and I second Ugg boots, but make sure they are snuggish. Sloppy ugg boots can be a bad thing. They need to be the sturdy kind like pictured above. Those look great!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby jcliff » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Merrel Moab low-top hiker.....bar none. I brought 3 pairs of shoes this Burn and only wore those. Clean socks every day and feet were good to go. And...because they are a taupe color, they go with the dust and are neutral for any outfit. I honestly don't know how the ladies wear big ass heels on the playa.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Rabbette » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm

The shoe decision was tough for me b/c of so many recomendations of boots. I don't own any boots b/c my feet get HOT, no matter if its 10 below outside if I have on boots my feet are hot. So I decided to just bring along my terrasoles. I also brought a back up pair of something, not sure what b/c the terrasoles were so confortable and went with everything, as well as just super easy to slip on and off for not tracking in dust into your tent or other peoples tents that I just wore those ALL week! Love them and they are priced great to boot! ha ha
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Return to Clothing & Playawear