Has Your Camp Been Placed Yet ??

Re: Has Your Camp Been Placed Yet ??

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:57 am

jkisha wrote:Well it would be a bit of a surprise if they weren't placed if only because that camp has been around ever since I have been going to BM. It's sort of like BMORG just deciding to abandon a tradition.

EDIT: I see now after reading the rest of the posts that it is official and Hushville isn't being placed. That really sucks. And I can easily see that just the novelty of a camp that is Quiet in all the chaos of the event might easily be considered it's participation. Though I only visited the camp once, I always enjoyed the concept.

This seemingly big and unannounced change in placement criteria is, well... I'm not exactly sure what it is...sort of like the evolution from art cars to mutant vehicles maybe?

I am:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Mightycabage » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Fandango sounds pretty awesome from what I've heard. Not sure if I've been there before and didn't even realize it, but I'd like to know where it's gonna be this year so I can check it out.
Mightycabage

Postby OoliganAlley » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Ooligan Alley. Placed at 2 & C. We're all very excited about getting such an awesome spot. Expect magic.
Ooligan Alley 2012 - 2 & B - http://www.ooliganalley.co.uk/
OoliganAlley

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:35 am

Disorient will be at 2:00 & Esplanade
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ConnieH » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 pm

AntiM wrote:
I know Hushville is not "entitled" to anything, but it seems harsh to just dump us. As if we offered nothing.

I feel your pain and was even more shocked to hear of Hushville's non-placement than I was to hear of our camp's denial. It felt like a huge slap in the face.
ConnieH

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:55 pm

trilobyte wrote:Disorient will be at 2:00 & Esplanade

EPIC, can't wait!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby MegsLegs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:09 pm

The Lost Penguin Cafe has been uprooted from our years on Esplanade and will be moving to 5 and Divorce.

I'll admit to a twinge of disappointment, but given time to warm to the idea, it'll be fun to make the most of the change. We'll have our wine chocolate, comfy couches and entertainment for those who wander by or flock to our nest. We also fixed our sign so it doesn't say The Lust Pipeline anymore so we're sure to be found by the lost and the lust.
MegsLegs

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 pm

So, Divorce sounds somewhat apropos.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby spinbox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Scarbutts Cafe will be serving up coffee at 9 & H this year!
spinbox

Postby MegsLegs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]So, Divorce sounds somewhat apropos.[/quote]

ha! indeed
MegsLegs

Postby veleda » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 am

I think it sucks about Hushville.

Trying to understand the decision from the org is like trying to understand reading entrails..

and ya i agree with the general sentiment here..its hard to get real responses from them.

Last year we were not given a spot on the Esplanade and we talked to them on playa about what they would need to see for us to return and worked hard this year to comply. Lost Penguin - you might try that approach if you decide you don't like your new neighborhood.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:15 am

No, entrails are much easier to read... and far more palatable at times. :mrgreen:

I'm at a loss why they displaced Hushville, as it's a well known and deep tradition on the Playa... I mean, most of the other institutions at least they had a REASON for doing it (eg the Drive By Shooting Range)... but to whack an institution that people use and revere, that practiced LNT as a religion, that was interactive as hell... It's like killing of AEZ because they needed to be shaken up. Or putting center camp out by greeters. No, better - make the city a grid of square blocks, instead of a clock face, and put the man right in the middle of it, and when the man burns, so do the camps foolish enough to camp at the man... And we could scrap Rangers (we have LEOS out there already) and ESD (REMSA, tho now it's HIGH), and Artery (because we're about the tickets, not the art), and... yeah. Ugly trend.

Just remember - your village is next.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

MissNev wrote:Unbelievable about Hushville. Did they give a reason?

Illy Dilly, Prom wear sounds delightful! We've also been known to bring extra dresses for those who just can't find the right one!

Awesome! Do you keep any dresses in Men's sizes? I wear XL size shirts, and 36x32 pants. If that means anything to you.

We will have to have to invade the night we do Prom.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby k9nikko » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 am

Has anyone received their EA passes in the mail??

Fallout Shelter
k9nikko

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:12 am

k9nikko wrote:Has anyone received their EA passes in the mail??

Fallout Shelter

No.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:No, entrails are much easier to read... and far more palatable at times. :mrgreen:

I'm at a loss why they displaced Hushville, as it's a well known and deep tradition on the Playa... I mean, most of the other institutions at least they had a REASON for doing it (eg the Drive By Shooting Range)... but to whack an institution that people use and revere, that practiced LNT as a religion, that was interactive as hell... It's like killing of AEZ because they needed to be shaken up. Or putting center camp out by greeters. No, better - make the city a grid of square blocks, instead of a clock face, and put the man right in the middle of it, and when the man burns, so do the camps foolish enough to camp at the man... And we could scrap Rangers (we have LEOS out there already) and ESD (REMSA, tho now it's HIGH), and Artery (because we're about the tickets, not the art), and... yeah. Ugly trend.

Just remember - your village is next.

The placement team has actually been communicating well with the mayor, although BEFORE would have been better. They're trying to find a smaller unmapped spot to offer the Hushers. The reason? We're too big. Nothing more or less. My solution is to create a number of theme camps and cluster them, ala Terminal City. I certainly could pull off a small theme camp.

Poor Boobies, graciously taking me and MyLarry in, only to discover we have grandpa and two of the kids along for the ride. Ranger Genius is an integral part of our camp (and lives), and two others have followed rather than break up a happy home. Our shade structure is like the Tardis, bigger on the inside.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Paperboy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:33 am

[quote="k9nikko"]Has anyone received their EA passes in the mail??

Fallout Shelter[/quote]

no.
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust
Paperboy

Postby A Jester » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48 am

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's a doacracy.

If you don't like the job that placement does, join the placement team. Make it better. I bet they could really use your help.

I kinda get bored hearing complaints about the quality of other people's volunteering.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am

A Jester wrote:I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's a doacracy.

If you don't like the job that placement does, join the placement team. Make it better. I bet they could really use your help.

I kinda get bored hearing complaints about the quality of other people's volunteering.

Wow...you're little Mr. Judg-y with 7 posts....

AntiM provides so much of her time to this community and Hushville provides something totally different from the rest of the burning man community. Not to mention the many smaller attractions within the Hushville family.

And nope, I don't camp hushville. And yes, I volunteer. A lot.

What about you??
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Aviax » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 am

Space Gnomes have been placed at 3:00 and Gnome...
Aviax

Postby homey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am

check out and add to this excellent, easy to use master placement map that zestyping created!

by zestyping » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 am

Hi,

I put up a public map of BRC 2011 at http://whereareyoucamping.org/. Everyone can add themselves to it—just click on it to add a point.

Hope this helps! I'm continuing to work on it, so feel free to send me your feedback.

—Ping
pickle joint 2003-2013, paul is sexy 2002-2003, moontribe 1999
homey

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pickle Joint

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 am

homey wrote:check out and add to this excellent, easy to use master placement map that zestyping created!

Hi,

I put up a public map of BRC 2011 at http://whereareyoucamping.org/. Everyone can add themselves to it—just click on it to add a point.

Hope this helps! I'm continuing to work on it, so feel free to send me your feedback.

—Ping

TOTALLY awesome!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 pm

homey wrote:check out and add to this excellent, easy to use master placement map that zestyping created!

Hi,

—Ping

Thats freaking sweet! But sadly, we were only told 3:30 and G.
That narrows it to what I believe will be just that one bit of colored purple space. We were also told that we have frontage on 3:30....
Who knows.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby princessprettymouth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeti Winter Wonderland is very excited to be @ 3 and H!
princessprettymouth

Postby Kiro » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm

MegsLegs wrote:The Lost Penguin Cafe has been uprooted from our years on Esplanade and will be moving to 5 and Divorce.

I'll admit to a twinge of disappointment, but given time to warm to the idea, it'll be fun to make the most of the change.

This is exactly the kind of attitude we should be encouraging. Good luck MegsLegs, I'm looking forward to visiting you at 5 + D! =)
Kiro

Postby HotBox_brcu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Enjoyed Lost Penguin in the Past, and will definitely be seeking them out at 5 & D! I like the idea of spreading the popular camps into the city, makes it easier to coax people out to see more! :D
Virgin, 2009
Dean of Funds and Facilities, 2010
Dean of Fundraising, Membership 2011
Black Rock Center for Unlearning; 7:30 & C (2009), 3:30 & D (2010), 4:30 & A (2011)
"Washing all that knowledge right out of your brain since 2009!"
HotBox_brcu

Postby Questyns » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am

I'm a first-year burner this year, and will be camping with Camp Envy at 4:30 and Birthday.

We'll have The Closet set up where you may come and leave an article or two of playawear, and pick up something new to you (or potentially hand-made since we're sewing lots of things to bring out). Comfy sitting space and herby foot baths after a vinegar/water rinse if I'm at camp.

Looking forward to being there!
Questyns

Postby A Jester » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
A Jester wrote:I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's a doacracy.

Wow...you're little Mr. Judg-y with 7 posts....

AntiM provides so much of her time to this community and Hushville provides something totally different from the rest of the burning man community. Not to mention the many smaller attractions within the Hushville family.

And nope, I don't camp hushville. And yes, I volunteer. A lot.

What about you??

I guess my point isn't about whether or not I volunteer, frankly that kinda seems like an ad hominen attack. Not that posting on this board won't be a mind altering and life changing event for me, but I'd expect me to be about the same amount of Judg-y with 7, 70, or 7,000 posts.

To be clear, I would have preferred if Hushville got placed.

However, I have seen some things that seem like complaints about placement, the .org, etc. My point is that if you don't like the way it's being done you are free (even enouraged!) to become a part of it and help it be better.

I've heard tons of complaints about placement, maybe it's become a bit of a sore spot for me. I think placement has an nearly impossible job. I also think there are a lot of caring hard working volunteers that wish they had more help doing placement. You seem to be of the opinion that Hushville really deserves placement. Maybe you can take some time out of your other volunteering to help make that happen next year. I'm not going to criticize you if you don't, but I probably will lend less of an ear to your criticisms of projects you don't make the time to help with.

To be honest, I suspect that if/when people were to join Placement they'd find out all sorts of reasons why tough decisions are made the way they are. The whole process seems like you have to TRY to disappoint the least amount of people, knowing full well that no matter what you do SOMEONE (maybe even MANY) will be disappointed with your results.

I don't have the headspace right now to help out with placement, so I can't begin to honestly critique their reasoning.

It's fine if you want to keep complaining about them. That's totally your right, and I support your decision to express yourself. I'm just expressing myself.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Ah, but Placement is not a simple thing to volunteer for, unlike slinging ice or rangering and so on. You pretty much have to be BMORG staff to get on the placement team, as I understand it. My impression may be incorrect. and yes, it is a thankless task.

The Hushers are sending in polite and passionate requests for placement, perhaps next year, and guidance for how to accomplish this.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby A Jester » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 pm

[quote="AntiM"]

The Hushers are sending in polite and passionate requests for placement, perhaps next year, and guidance for how to accomplish this.[/quote]

I can't think of a wiser course of action. I applaud you.

On a far less serious and NSFW note, a related video that in no way is representative of anyone in this thread but is about the exact same topic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo7hD0TOLwI
ZaphodBurner wrote:
A Jester

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Theme Camps