2012: The Last Burn

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 am

It is interesting, and I think true, that, the first "million" is the hardest to make............
I use million as an example, for those of us still waiting to get there..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 am

ygmir wrote:It is interesting, and I think true, that, the first "million" is the hardest to make............
I use million as an example, for those of us still waiting to get there..........

Yup, the first million is the hardest. Now I'm working on my second million.

I gave up on the first! :lol:

Actually, it's not that hard to make a million, it's hard to keep a million.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

this is not a rumor

Postby djsiago » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 pm

at my first burn i was flying on the playa , i have seen the vision of the whole crazy production called bm turning into one giant mayan calendar i start getting to the bottom of it , to check if there is any connction between bm and 2012 and i almost sure that daniel pinchbeck and larry harvey have this plan of creating this big mayan calendar and connect it to 2012 which we all will know about it till then , its not a conspiracy every burner knows deep inside that there is a connection, things will happen just joy the ride, our reality is about to change dramatically ,
www.myspace.com/djsiago
djsiago

Postby ALICEtheGOON » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:wow!!!... then what shall the theme be for 2013?...... 8)

DOOMED MAN...yeah ..definately ..because ..

we are ......
ALICEtheGOON

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:26 am

ALICEtheGOON wrote:
thisisthatwhichis wrote:wow!!!... then what shall the theme be for 2013?...... 8)

DOOMED MAN...yeah ..definately ..because ..

we are ......

I'd submit, since, the world for us is supposed to end in 2012, the theme might be:

----------------------HUMAN?------------------------
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

2012=transformation not end

Postby Yvonne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 am

Thankfully (experiencing an Apocalypse would be kind of interesting, but on second thoughts I'd rather pass), interpreting 2012 as 'the end of the world' is a misreading; apparently according to the Mayan elders (rather than passing anthropologists) the Mayan calendar says the world's going to undergo great changes after a period of intense chaos and a banking crisis :) see http://www.biopark.org/peru/mayan-calen ... adden.html
e-vonne x
Yvonne

Postby Super Evil Brian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:31 pm

AmericanFremin1 wrote:i hav heard that the lease (although reviewed every year by the BLM with the option to cancel) ends after the 2011 burn. reliable sources claim 2011 is the last year.

anyway, in 2012 we begin to enter hyper-space.....

Shit, this is the last year? I wish they would have said something. Maybe Dr. Dre decided to quit the thing after the 25th year when he started Burning Man.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:56 pm

If it is the last year, 4th of Juplaya is still cheaper.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

Last = "final" or "previous"?
Mungo confused. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jkisha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Might not have to wait until 2012: http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Ha! No torments at all for more than a month! Yay!

So, do you have a ticket you're willing to let go?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Re: this is not a rumor

Postby Tamino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm

djsiago wrote:at my first burn i was flying on the playa , i have seen the vision of the whole crazy production called bm turning into one giant mayan calendar i start getting to the bottom of it , to check if there is any connction between bm and 2012 and i almost sure that daniel pinchbeck and larry harvey have this plan of creating this big mayan calendar and connect it to 2012 which we all will know about it till then , its not a conspiracy every burner knows deep inside that there is a connection, things will happen just joy the ride, our reality is about to change dramatically ,
www.myspace.com/djsiago

Actually the layout of burning man is supposed to represent the Egyptian symbol of Horus. (the Bird). The 10 - 2 clock circle would be the raised wings and the two streets at 5:30 and 6:30 are the legs of the bird.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tamino

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 am

Tamino wrote:Actually the layout of burning man is supposed to represent the Egyptian symbol of Horus. (the Bird). The 10 - 2 clock circle would be the raised wings and the two streets at 5:30 and 6:30 are the legs of the bird.

Without citation to something other than Christian Conspiracy sites, I'm going to assume that you're being facetious. The layout of Burning Man coincidentally resembles the Egyptian symbol of Horus.

Edited to add:
Errrm, I should have read the other posts in this thread before commenting. carry on
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 pm

DAMMIT!!! First we aren't Satanists and now we AREN'T worshippers of Set!?!?! What the fuck!?!? Give me something for fucksake!!!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Re: 2012: The Last Burn

Postby Mojori » Wed May 11, 2011 2:13 am

jackmack wrote:I heard a very serious rumor this year that 2012 will be the last burn.

Reasons: Too big, & it's deteriorating into something not what the founders wanted.

Sadly given the way it's going....I hope it comes to an end. It's becoming a big "scene" rather than sincere. 2012 would be a poetic way to quit the burn while it's ahead. Burning Man has done what it can... time for something new... completely unrelated.

Anyone else heard this rumor, can dispel this myth?

To dispel the myth just be advised that about a month ago the BMORG LLC announced that it has opened a permanent office on Market Street in San Francisco and has decided to morph into a 501c3 over the next six years.
=======================================================
"This that, I never got a letter back. More for me. Bless my soul"
-- Brian Eno
=======================================================
Mojori

Postby This Woman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am

Every now and again, God help me, I open an obvious chain letter. Boy do I feel like an idiot afterward.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Tamino wrote:
djsiago wrote:at my first burn i was flying on the playa , i have seen the vision of the whole crazy production called bm turning into one giant mayan calendar i start getting to the bottom of it , to check if there is any connction between bm and 2012 and i almost sure that daniel pinchbeck and larry harvey have this plan of creating this big mayan calendar and connect it to 2012 which we all will know about it till then , its not a conspiracy every burner knows deep inside that there is a connection, things will happen just joy the ride, our reality is about to change dramatically ,
http://www.myspace.com/djsiago

Actually the layout of burning man is supposed to represent the Egyptian symbol of Horus. (the Bird). The 10 - 2 clock circle would be the raised wings and the two streets at 5:30 and 6:30 are the legs of the bird.

No shit Sherlock. Look at my location ----->
;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TwoHott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 am

I have a theory about how this rumor started:

The BLM 5 year Special Recreation Permit from 2006 was extended by only one year. There is talk of having the new five year permit allow for a 20% increase in population. As it stands the permit allows for 50k. It takes time to analyze that kind of change to the permit.

So just because it was extended for one year (not a new five year deal) does not mean it is the last year. It just means that next year will require either another extension or a new permit.

Want more details? see: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/ ... %20DNA.pdf
TwoHott

Postby Parasitoid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 am

Even if the burn wasn't happening.... a lot of people would still go to it....
Parasitoid

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:08 am

I'd imagine that a lot of the aspects of 2012 "last" rumors are a blend of BLM permitting, the age-old "it's getting too big" argument, and the ancient/new age philosophical connections to what may (or may not) happen in December of that year. I won't get into the philosophical or end times aspects, as that's its own discussion (or three).

Based on BM Org's actions of late, they fully intend to carry on and continue. New BMHGQ. An exit plan for the current leadership and phased transition to the new org. It's a long-term plan that seems to make sense, not the sort of thing that any of the players would be a party to if they were playing a short game.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 am

Larry and Cabal sold it to Dr. Dre YEARS AGO....Duh!

next year it becomes public.

Yeah, thats right, we in the Motherfucking BRC, bitches.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby mgb327 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:42 am

Well, let me first explain that this will be my first year, as I am a birgin. I have ticket in hand, I was 22,778 in line on that cold night in January. I have read a lot of posts, hours and hours. I have no right to any opinion, as I am still an "outsider". I have no earthly idea why I am going, other than I am, the only word that fits is: compelled. I believe I am one of you already, as I think my core beliefs about BM are true. The reason I am finally writing something here is to show a similar "mindset" as an example. Maybe not for you oldtimers, but for those like me, who are looking forward to finally coming home...at last. I discovered travel in Costa Rica many years ago. I went a lot...60-70 times. I made local friends, learned the language and customs, tried to become as one. They welcome me back all the time, many long term good friends there. Lovely place, paradise on earth...rarely any problems. I went everywhere there, tried to see it all, still going, still love the country and people. After 50 trips or so, I finally read a very popular book written about travel in Costa Rica. It focused solely on the negatives, and what was wrong, and what to look out for. If I had read that book before going to C. R. the first time, I would never have gone. I keep this in mind when reading about the "future/present" demise of BM. I plan to go this year, and live, love, enjoy, experience, involve, encounter, explore, see, hear, hope, dance, dream, taste, help, survive, feel, cry, and simply be thankful and grateful there are like-minded people there to do it with. Peace and Love, I wish to meet you, I will see you at home...
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby SPARKLE PUSSY » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:31 pm

What's the damn theme?!!!!
[img]%20%20%20%20%20%20[/img]
AKA SEEDA @ OHM DRONE 10:00 and Anniversary. *)'(*
SPARKLE PUSSY

Postby bluesbob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it."

Major Chester L. Brown
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby twentytwelve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:06 am

Properly the theme should be: "in lak'ech" which translates: " I am another yourself"

Bee You There!!!
twentytwelve

Postby hookahdude » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:12 am

How about "Gottes Tod".. That should ruffle some feathers...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Killbuck » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

"End of Days"

or

"The End"
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby ibdave » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:45 pm

"Lights Out"
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:"End of Days"

or

"The End"

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gaminwench » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 pm

"The Party's Over"
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme