We Have theme camp but no placement, anybody vice verse?

We Have theme camp but no placement, anybody vice verse?

Postby Tungsten » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 am

(first off we know we can just show up and plop our stuff down in open spots, but we would like to participate more with a closer-to-esplanade spot)

So I’m posting because 2 diff planned camps couldn't get our ish together early enough to register as officially placed theme camps.

the cores of the camps have pooled resources and would like to know...

Do you have a (to be placed)camp or know of a (tbp)camp that planned to be larger than they are? ( eg asked for more space than they can fill)

We have a small group of self-proclaimed awesome burners (5-6 tops) that have the following:

-Solar Shower set-up and gray water system.
-kitchen setup (2burner camp stove pots pans wash station w grey water etc)
-2, 10' by 20' "carports" recovered with playa-tested vinyl.
wait for it...
-2 50' foot metal domes available. (uncovered for now, maybe can obtain cover)
-redonkulous amounts of Sound and generator if desired.
- a 16' pvc (and covered) game dome.

more about us.
we all met in Oregon, 4 of us have known each other since just past diapers.
2 of us are actual brothers. all of us are close friends.
all somewhat decent people and have been going to the burn off and on for years. (plus other fests and events all over the world)
WE ALL THROW DOWN.
we carry more than our own weight and usually don’t complain too much.
we are not really looking for a giant camp that has a million rules.
we are looking for a group of people that maybe planned on and registered to have a much larger camp and maybe something fell through ("best laid plans...)

it's a long shot we know, but we are sure someone asked for a giant chunk of prime real estate only to have people bail out for one reason or another.
WE are more than willing to put our names on any LNT plan or Fire plan or anything else, we are a responsible group of miscreants
feel free to contact here or PM me and ill shoot you a cell number we can make this happen for all of us.
Tungsten

Re: We Have theme camp but no placement, anybody vice verse?

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 am

Realizing your "shoulda, coulda, woulda" situation, I will restrain myself sufficiently to say, theme camps generally require an entire year of planning. This is not the time to be throwing out ideas and possibilities. We who have done everything in a timely fashion appreciate what you offer. By your own admission, this is a shot in the dark at best.

We who have applied do not even know our placement yet. Lotsa luck with your pursuit!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 am

Tungsten wrote:...self-proclaimed awesome burners...

Just one question here. Are there any burners who aren't self-proclaimed awesome? Can I have a show of hands of people who aren't awesome on this board? (Self-proclamation only. Many of us oldsters can think of some non-awesome people right off the bat.) Okay, that's two. And here's a third: Do you expect us to believe your opinion of your awesomeness?

You might be better off seeing if you can join a placed camp that's finding out now that there are issues with some of the things they thought they had nailed down. That might or might not get you Esplanade space (probably the latter), but it gives you an address.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Paulie_BELL CAMP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 am

I too am chronically not awesome.

P
Can yooooo dig it!
Paulie_BELL CAMP

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 am

Paulie LIES.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 am

Our camp is awesome, we are awesome, maybe we should be Camp Awesome. Ok, enough being snarky. I actually used to be awesome. I am only pretty cool now, the age has worn off much of the awesomeness, but come playa-time, I can reach into my bag-of-tricks and pull out some awesomeness.

All kidding aside, you might check your local burner groups in Oregon. There are several. I know that our theme camp has everything we need for on-playa, however, what we do need is help in the next 6 weeks to clean, prep, count, fabricate and pack our monkey huts, domes, yurts, kitchen stuff, shower stuff. If someone wanted to join our theme camp we would need help BEFORE getting to the playa. Just a thought on how you might be able to sell yourselves to a theme camp and get awesome camp placement! Good luck from your northern California neighbors....
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Paulie_BELL CAMP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 am

Freaking me out. Crank call. Hi Savannah...hope to see you and yours in the desert... DOH!

P
Can yooooo dig it!
Paulie_BELL CAMP

Postby Tungsten » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:Our camp is awesome, we are awesome, maybe we should be Camp Awesome. Ok, enough being snarky. I actually used to be awesome. I am only pretty cool now, the age has worn off much of the awesomeness, but come playa-time, I can reach into my bag-of-tricks and pull out some awesomeness.

All kidding aside, you might check your local burner groups in Oregon. There are several. I know that our theme camp has everything we need for on-playa, however, what we do need is help in the next 6 weeks to clean, prep, count, fabricate and pack our monkey huts, domes, yurts, kitchen stuff, shower stuff. If someone wanted to join our theme camp we would need help BEFORE getting to the playa. Just a thought on how you might be able to sell yourselves to a theme camp and get awesome camp placement! Good luck from your northern California neighbors....

much thanks GM,
good tips for sure, our biggest issue is that our little crew is currently spread thus: 1 in Ios, greece, 2 in Miami, fl, and only 2 in Eugene, OR. lol we travel.
everything is counted and packed since april sitting in a trailer in oregon, ready to be drivin out to the playa.

call me crazy but i find it hard to believe that every camp that registered has everything all ready to go and nothing fell through.

"the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"
Tungsten

Postby Tungsten » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You might be better off seeing if you can join a placed camp that's finding out now that there are issues with some of the things they thought they had nailed down. That might or might not get you Esplanade space (probably the latter), but it gives you an address.

thats what we had in mind. that's what i meant to rely in my post, We are not looking to take over, only contribute to a camp that did their paperwork on time and now dont have everything they thought they did.

-T

ps: still awesome.
Tungsten

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I have had some experience with what you are asking for. Just last year, in fact. We were registered got just the placement we wanted, but we had some people not be able to go at the last minute. When we got to the playa and were placed, it turnedout that they gave us TWICE or more the space we requested. However, we were not aware of our exact size until we actually got on the playa.

We didn't want the space to remain unoccupied and we didn't want the placers to assign some camp we didn't know; but coincidentally we had some friends I your exact situation and were able to give the space to them.

But, the point is, you never know how much space you will actually have until you get to the playa. This was the first time we ever got more space than we requested, usually we get less. So, it would be hard, IMHO, to find someone to commit their space to you ahead of actually being placed.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I don't know if it's the same this year, but...

Last year, if no representative of a placed camp was on the playa by opening, that space became 'up for grabs';
Some smart folks, with a plan and lots of stuff, came in Sunday night and asked to speak with a placer... as a result they got a prime spot on the Esplanade and filled what would have been an empty hole of beachfront property...

YMMV...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Tungsten » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 pm

gaminwench wrote:I don't know if it's the same this year, but...

Last year, if no representative of a placed camp was on the playa by opening, that space became 'up for grabs';
Some smart folks, with a plan and lots of stuff, came in Sunday night and asked to speak with a placer... as a result they got a prime spot on the Esplanade and filled what would have been an empty hole of beachfront property...

YMMV...

THANX! very good info. I'll look into that now.
and we will definitely try that if we don't have a place by the time we get there.
Tungsten

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm

gaminwench wrote:I don't know if it's the same this year, but...

YMMV...

That's the way I thought it always has been...at least in the years I've been coming.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Since you seem to be well equipped for the large scale sound areas off of 10 and 2 I suggest you entertain the idea of camping there. There is always non reserved places to camp facing open playa toward the ends of the street. As a fan of music I routinely ride the entirety of 10 and 2 looking for just the right thing and I'm sure many others do the same. Your target participant would have an easy time finding you there. There also is at 24/7 aspect of operation for Esplanade Camps that being on 10 and 2 can be avoided so that you get some time to burn outside of camp. FWIW
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby theduskah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 pm

YO! So I'm the head coordinator for a new theme sound camp called The Master-BASS-Sin Station and we might be able to accommodate your needs! We have a sick lineup of bass music producers and djs and are a daytime sound stage. Currently we have a small system for who we are bringing to the stage and need to expand to a larger one. My colleague Will and I are meeting with someone on Monday evening to lease a little bit more sound, but, if you have some and are looking for a raging camp we might be able to help each other out. We were granted a little bit more space then we needed as well so we might be able to add some of your structures. (maybe not the 50 foot domes unless I can climb them!)
http://www.facebook.com/tmead1/posts/10 ... 81649?ap=1
That is the link to our facebook group if ya wanna see the developments and lineup. We have been placed on 2:00 and J about 6 blocks from Basscamp. If you would like to get in touch my email address is theduskah@gmail.com.
Yo people! Check out soundcloud.com/dubble_penetration for some free tunes and things! Thanks!
theduskah

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Since you seem to be well equipped for the large scale sound areas off of 10 and 2 I suggest you entertain the idea of camping there. There is always non reserved places to camp facing open playa toward the ends of the street. As a fan of music I routinely ride the entirety of 10 and 2 looking for just the right thing and I'm sure many others do the same. Your target participant would have an easy time finding you there. There also is at 24/7 aspect of operation for Esplanade Camps that being on 10 and 2 can be avoided so that you get some time to burn outside of camp. FWIW

I walk the 10 and 2 o'clock spokes at the top edge, too. I think it's a natural thing to do after hitting some big spot on Esplanade, A or B--just keep walking back. Camping there would be a really good way to be seen. Everyone on 10 or 2 can see you, people at 12 o'clock can see you, and a little to the south. Other reasons this is good besides visibility:

2) These are places where noise is expected. So it shouldn't anger anybody.
3) Easier for people to remember the address & tell their friends. "Oh yeah, it was on 10, about halfway back". (Harder to remember where a camp is, when your camp is surrounded on all sides by other camps.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 pm

You might be doing yourselves a dis-service by not looking at the larger camps/villages. If you carry more than your own weight, any rules should be a breeze (since they're mostly about making sure that everyone does their part), and some of the villages have a pretty relaxed atmosphere and vibe. Adding 5-6 people to a village is a lot more feasible than looking to squeeze that into a smaller camp. And if that doesn't work out, don't sweat it. Camps with art and themes are welcome everywhere and anywhere on the dial, not just in the designated areas :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby morty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

you want Prime REAL Estate for just 6 people? hahahahahahahahahaha
Most theme camps are 80 +
I think you need to suck it up and join another camp this year.
Your NON AWESOMENESS in planning for the theme camp, should be a lesson on getting it done for NEXT YEAR.
True AWESOME burners prepare prepare prepare
morty

Postby Tungsten » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 am

morty wrote:you want Prime REAL Estate for just 6 people? hahahahahahahahahaha
Most theme camps are 80 +
I think you need to suck it up and join another camp this year.
Your NON AWESOMENESS in planning for the theme camp, should be a lesson on getting it done for NEXT YEAR.
True AWESOME burners prepare prepare prepare

Well guess who just regained their awesomeness? We just got our ish together and got placed at 8:30 and "D" as Camp "Delectatio Pugnus" or Camp "DP" for those that don't bother with Latin.

you're welcome to stop by and gawk morty.

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. "
Tungsten

Postby theduskah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:50 am

How did you guys get such a great spot!? We're on the outskirts!
Yo people! Check out soundcloud.com/dubble_penetration for some free tunes and things! Thanks!
theduskah

Postby Tungsten » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

From what I understand they are really pushing involvement and activity and the more you have the better, seems like they have too many "chill domes" and music camps,
We just got together all we could think of doing and ways to involve people and the placers liked it.
our camp is comprised mostly of long time burners and we had a (virtual) sit down and brain stormed how we could make our chill space and music into something that involved the passers by, so we have games and activities and rewards (Jello shots) plus we made sure we had all the criteria met and exceeded.

please note:
this is nothing personal against anyone who didn't get placed or didn't get the area they wanted, just saying we did our best and the placers/experienced burners liked it enough to place us at 830 and D. I also heard through the grapevine that camps and ideas that had been done many times before might be cycled out to mix things up.

Edit: hey didnt see it was you dubblep, ill give you a call this evening and tell yea eveything.
Tungsten

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 am

Tungsten wrote:all somewhat decent people

LOL,
Thats how you win the hearts of the masses.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Tungsten » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 am

just being honest. :) :lol:
Tungsten

Return to 2011 Theme Camps