Posting updating concerns

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Posting updating concerns

Postby Here and there » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 pm

The new system system lets us do something that the old system did not - we can now update our old posts. That's a very good thing, I think. It lets us all do our part to keep the place clean, remove and replace old, dead links and sometimes take out something that one wishes wasn't there. But, I see a potential problem.

Having just cleaned up a post of my own that was mangled by the change to the new system (apparently), I noticed that there was no public record of my having edited the post. This lack of record opens the door to some real, mean spirited mischief. It's a door that I won't walk through, myself, but you can be sure that somebody will. Picture a troll playing the game of posting something that really is outrageous, waiting for people to explode, rewriting his post, and then asking when he had ever said ... what he would no longer be admitting he had just said. Or conversely, picture a group of people ganging up on one user, pretending that she had said something that she hadn't, and then pretending that she had changed her words after the fact. How's she going to prove that she didn't? I guess we could all start taking screen shots of everything, but that would get to be an awful lot of work, and who has time for that?

We really need to get those edits recorded and mentioned in public, the way they used to be, and still are on almost every other forum I've ever seen.
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

My Homepage: Torchlight
Other Pages: My Foes List
Here and there

Re: Posting updating concerns

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Ya, we know. Just make sure you quote the OP to prevent that from happening.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Here and there » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Problem with that is that one can rewrite the contents of the quote, so we're back to the problem of breakable faith.
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

Here and there

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 am

I may be mistaken but I think the edit details are included when one edits a post that is not the last post in the thread (albeit it no longer includes the % of the post that was edited which is pretty useless info to begin with). The post you reference was the last post in the thread, hence did not include the edit info. I will follow this post with another, then go back and edit this just for shits and giggles.

Edit
Last edited by Sic Pup on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 am

Test

That seems to hold true - this is an edit of the last post in the thread - should not be edit detail:

So it appears that once a post has additinal posts in a thread and one edits, it is marked as such.

That and a metrocard.......
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Here and there » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 am

Let me try that, too.

(test)
Last edited by Here and there on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here and there

Postby Here and there » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:04 am

Putting in a second reply, so that my last post is no longer the last post, ...

Here and there

Postby Here and there » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:06 am

You are quite right, Sic Pup. Thank you. That did lay my fears to rest.

Here and there

Return to Feature Requests