Gate wants you!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Gate wants you!

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm

That's right kiddies...the wonderful dusty black-clads are looking for a few good peeps.

Self-sufficient, non-whiners that want to help corral that unruly crowd flowing into our fair city apply now!

Visit the Gate website to read all about it. Ready to go now? Just visit the volunteer page and find out the process.

You have been summoned!

http://gate.burningman.com

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dBrew » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Summons heeded. Signed up, on the list, ready to go.
dBrew

Postby Mojojita » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:33 pm

I suspect that with no ticket sales at the gate this year, our wonderful Gate and Perimiter people will have a bigger job to do. Happy Hunting!
Mojojita

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:32 pm

My first thought: Gate wants you ... for lunch!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Will there be any compassion for people who traveled a long way and simply have no ability to buy a ticket because they're not for sale? Will there be more stow-a-ways hiding in RVs this year?
It sounds like there will be all sorts of new problems this year.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:15 pm

What form should that compassion take? Wait until there's a busfull and take them back to Reno? Well, there's no insurance coverage, so that won't happen.
Let them in? hoo-boy that would be a very sticky wicket next year. Or just, I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I guess there is going to be a percentage of people who don't get the message that there are no tickets sold at the gate this year. What the hell do you do with people who have the money in hand and travel for 8 hours to get to the gate. "Sorry buddy, didn't you see it on line. Now get the hell out of here"!
There may people who are fully prepared to enter and just forgot their ticket at home. Sorry, tough luck.
There must be some sort of contingency or there will be some crazy gate crashing going on there.
Sham

Postby ygmir » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Vlad knew what to do.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 pm

There are plenty that simply lose their ticket en-route I imagine as well.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 pm

I suspect they'll be told to go to Reno to buy a ticket.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Minxy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I sure would love to work perimeter...that just sounds really fun to me for some odd reason. :P
Minxy

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:49 am

If you're really concerned about those dopes who show up at the gate to purchase a ticket for whatever reason, maybe someone can provide a laptop + satellite internet or some sort of connect to center camp (good luck with that antenna) so people can purchase the ticket online. Otherwise, back to Reno with you. Anyway, people can just buy the tickets from the "need tickets" folk along the way.

Personally, I think it's great to not have cash ticket sales at the gate to get rid of any kind of excuse for ticket-panhandlers (real or fake) asking for money from people in line.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 am

I think there may be some sort of emergency ticket thing that will let people in, but I'm not sure. And yes, there are scalpers in Gerlach. I just don't see many options of practicing compassion without becoming a surrogate mother of some sort.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:20 am

I know people had tickets for sale at the Empire Store last year, at least prior to the event. Who knows what the status of the store will be come August. But if you can get your butt to BRC then you sure as hell can turn around and go back to Reno and buy a ticket. But seriously, some of these brain-dead stoned useless dreadlocked unsanitary shreads of human debris (otherwise known as hippies), do we even want to encourge them to come, especially if they're so useless or misguided that they can neither buy a ticket or are praying for a "miracle ticket"? What the hell do they think this is, a Greatful Dead concert?
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Sail Man » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm

AntiM wrote:My first thought: Gate wants you ... for lunch!

Nah, they just want my tequila. Makes em smile every time 8)
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Savannah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:27 pm

I woke up last night and Gate was floating outside my window, beckoning.

It's really true. :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rabbette » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:55 am

Savannah that comment had me spitting out my OJ (ouch it burned when it splattered out me nose)
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I know people had tickets for sale at the Empire Store last year, at least prior to the event. Who knows what the status of the store will be come August.

THE STORE WILL BE OPEN and well stocked.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:I know people had tickets for sale at the Empire Store last year, at least prior to the event. Who knows what the status of the store will be come August.

THE STORE WILL BE OPEN and well stocked.

Yes, I saw mention of that in an article Goathead posted on the closing of Empire. Said they were struggling to keep the store open until the BM event. Not sure it implies it will remain open much beyond that though.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Oldguy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm

I read in the article that Monday June 20th : Empire will be gated off, chainlink fence completed, everyone evicted, plant has been closed for awhile. The store got their juice and water from Empire, and Empire owns the land the store sits on. I have not heard if store can run without electricity to run pump and A/C. Blackrock Solar could help them I suppose? Can BRC buy the land and sink a waterwell? Does the veteran who bought the store last fall want to walkout in September? Can BM lease Empire and maintain the houses for USG? Do we want to change the name of Empire to Blackrock City and get our own zipcode? Can we incorporate an abandoned miningtown. Does it sit on BLM or tribal land?

edit: I apologise for the drift...
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Oldguy wrote:I read in the article that Monday June 20th : Empire will be gated off, chainlink fence completed, everyone evicted, plant has been closed for awhile. The store got their juice and water from Empire, and Empire owns the land the store sits on. I have not heard if store can run without electricity to run pump and A/C. Blackrock Solar could help them I suppose? Can BRC buy the land and sink a waterwell? Does the veteran who bought the store last fall want to walkout in September? Can BM lease Empire and maintain the houses for USG? Do we want to change the name of Empire to Blackrock City and get our own zipcode? Can we incorporate an abandoned miningtown. Does it sit on BLM or tribal land?

edit: I apologise for the drift...

To answer what I know.
1. power is available on the road, the store would have to get their own accoutn.
2. Water was coming from somewhere, I imagine the poiwer could be run to that pump as well on an individual account.

3. The Empire store building is privately owned, the land is owned by USG.

4. The USG lands are held in Fee Simple - Owned outright by USG no tribal lands or BLM involved in empire.

5. Do what with Empire? land up the road is a thousand bucks an acre so its not a steal. The building are ancient...

I say let it die until drywall is needed again.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:07 am

Yes. You are right. Three miles of chainlink fence means they will probably be back.

I imagine some Gate Blackshirts would like some chainlink and concertina /razorwire for our fence...
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Playa+Tom » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm

I was in Empire last week and I learned:
The store will be open with lots of water and PBR, the liquor shelves are well stocked with the type of liquor that will both get you drunk and act as a carburator cleaner.
The owner of the store Tammy Sparkes says that she has electricity and water taken care of and that the store will remain open.
There are numerous rumors about the future of Empire but none of the rumors has been confirmed.

In Gerlach I learned:
The General Improvement district will again be selling water.
Even with the decline in population the school shall remain open with twelve students and three employees.
Playa+Tom

Postby Savannah » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Wow! Thanks.

I've never even been through Empire, just Gerlach . . . but even I'm relieved to hear that, after reading about the history and struggles of the town (last week's article was so sad) and of course reading here how over the years how much people have enjoyed stopping there.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Minxy wrote:I sure would love to work perimeter...that just sounds really fun to me for some odd reason. :P

I worked perimeter at an air base in Vietnam flying a Cobra gunship...talk about fun...but I don't suppose our Gate would let us use the minigun on Perimeter miscreants...

Oh, c'mon...lighten up!!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh come on, lightum up!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Minxy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:52 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
Minxy wrote:I sure would love to work perimeter...that just sounds really fun to me for some odd reason. :P

I worked perimeter at an air base in Vietnam flying a Cobra gunship...talk about fun...but I don't suppose our Gate would let us use the minigun on Perimeter miscreants...

Oh, c'mon...lighten up!!

Probably not, dragonpilot. :P

I'm eagerly awaiting the notification for "new" Gate folks to be allowed to sign up. I've been chomping at the bit!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Re: Gate wants you!

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Working D Lot Sunday and Monday evenings and riding perimeter on Wed evening. WOOT!

Would love to get trained for lighthouse duty.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Minxy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm

CapSmashy wrote:Working D Lot Sunday and Monday evenings and riding perimeter on Wed evening. WOOT!

What IS lighthouse duty?! I didn't see a description of it on the website. Yes, I'm nubby. :P I did get my training scheduled and a couple perimeter riding shifts so far!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Minxy wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:Working D Lot Sunday and Monday evenings and riding perimeter on Wed evening. WOOT!

What IS lighthouse duty?! I didn't see a description of it on the website. Yes, I'm nubby. :P I did get my training scheduled and a couple perimeter riding shifts so far!

Lighthouse is the secret weapon. It sees all.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Next

Return to Get Involved!