What are you reading?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Elorrum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Thecatman wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:“To Kill A Mockingbird,

I had to read that in Junior High School. (aka "middle school") I really liked it.

Was a damn good movie too...with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch and Robert Duvall as Bo Bradley.

I can't help it, sorry... "Boo Radley"
Elorrum

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I'd like to be perusing this, if for nothing else the pictures, and no it's not Playboy.

Slideshow

Does anyone have $625 and a handtruck they can lend me?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby tamarakay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Sic Pup wrote:I'd like to be perusing this, if for nothing else the pictures, and no it's not Playboy.

Slideshow

Does anyone have $625 and a handtruck they can lend me?

oh. my. god. i want it all
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: What are you reading?

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain. Garth Stein. Easy read but powerful for me.
Starting one recommended by coworker: Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm

The Void trilogy by Peter Hamilton! Love his style... SciFi stuff of the highest order, set far in the future.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Big Man by Clarence Clemons, I'm not sure why other than his recent passing, It's some weird blend of faction and I'm almost exclusively a non-fiction person these days. It's a quick read though, thankfully.

I can't wait to get to Skipping Towards Gomorrah by Dan Savage, looks like it's right up my alley (thanks Savannah!).
Sic Pup

Re:

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Why ePlaya, of course, but the question does worry me.

Oh, oh, you don't mean at this very moment do you? :wink:

Lately I've been on a Klosterman kick, don't know why other than he writes well and generally there's a good dozen or so really interesting points in each book that make me think about things I wouldn't ordinarily consider. I just finished "Eating The Dinosaur" and "Killing Yourself To Live: 85% of a True Story", currently I'm in the middle of "Fargo Rock City" and I have "Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas" on deck.

I enjoyed Chuck Klostermann's books quite a bit. :) I've read all of those except for Fargo Rock City.

I'm currently reading The Annotated Lolita. If anyone else intends to read it too, skip this part below. It's not really spoiler-y, but . . .

This is the second attempt at it, since the first time I picked it up I was in love with Nabokov's use of language, and horrified by everything else. I knew what it was about before going in--everyone does, I suppose--but still! Damn. :shock:

I'd also made the mistake of reading the lengthy preface and introduction, & reading the annotations as I went. The annotations were fascinating, but distracting. Eventually I shelved it. More than 5 years passed . . . and a lull in my hold list at the library finally inspired me to try again. This time I'm going to make it, in part because--as disturbing as the book remains, & keeps finding new ways to be--the suspense is killing me.

When I think of it as a thinly-veiled horror novel, it makes it easier to deal with. The depravity level is not the most upsetting part (I'm fascinated by true crime, antisocial personality disorder, and other grim subjects). What gets to me are the specific mental workings of the main character. Truly ghoulish. I'm trying to think of a literary character I have hated more, and have thus far been unsuccessful.

When I finish the book, I'll allow myself to take a look at the annotations again. They're about the author, the characters, the time period, and (I think) the critical and societal reaction to the book. Should be very interesting.

. . . And now I can't check this thread until I'm finished, because I'm so close to the end and must avoid spoilers.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby wedeliver » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:31 pm

I got a few family members a Kindle for Xmas, and myself. I really want to read more, but there are times where the brain will not allow one to pay attention to either a book or just a 1 hour movie. But I have managed to read and listen at the same time to Steven Kings "The Doom" great read. before that I listened to the new book abour area 51, "Area 51: an uncensored..." that book a lot of facts where not fact checked but I still found it interesting. I also re-read, mark twains Tom Sawyer set.

I am looking for something to read, I started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I don't know if I want to buy it, any suggestions??
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby geospyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I just recently discovered Dean Koontz. Mentioned it to my daughter and she said she had a few of his books. She ended up giving me eleven. Just finished "Tick Tock" and now I'm starting "The Taking."
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 pm

A Dance with Dragons.

Less than 200 pages in, but I don't think this will suck...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Re: Re:

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:55 am

Savannah wrote:I enjoyed Chuck Klostermann's books quite a bit. :)

No better observer of popular culture, IMO.

I'm not big on TV, and out of the four mentioned I've only watched Breaking Bad, still refreshing to read his stuff:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/676 ... -decisions

Of course, the best part about the article is:

"His novel The Visible Man will be released in October."

Oct 4th to be exact - does that come off as being too enamored?
Sic Pup

Postby pizzamancer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:57 am

I just finished 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman. It was my second time. I had to pick up a book for the week I was without my kindle. Still a good book.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 am

theCryptofishist wrote:A Dance with Dragons.

about halfway into A Clash of Kings... So far, so good... between that and the live steel melee in Novgorod, makes me want to take up broadsword fencing again!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Finishing up Jesus, Interupted; Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible by Bart Ehrman- by "Bible" in this book he means mostly New Testament.

Next up: re-reading The Evolution of God by Robert Wright.

Then scraping up books I'm willing to part with & heading to Green Apple to trade them for something new
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

about halfway into A Clash of Kings... So far, so good... between that and the live steel melee in Novgorod, makes me want to take up broadsword fencing again!

A Feast for Crows (plus the long wait for this) is what made so many of his fans wonder if he could pull it off. So far so good.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BAS » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:01 am

I'm partway into "Busted Flush"-- one of the Wildcards novel.

Not that long ago I read "Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death" by Deborah Blum, which was very good. It was also a good lead in for Michael Talbot's "The Holographic Universe"-- despite "the Holographic Universe" having been written more than ten years earlier. It was a very interesting speculation on the nature of reality.

(I would have thought with how lousy I felt most of this past week I would have finished "Busted Flush" by now, but for some reason I didn't feel like reading. I guess it ttakes more brain power than I had.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

A Feast for Crows (plus the long wait for this) is what made so many of his fans wonder if he could pull it off. So far so good.

I'm almost done with A Clash of Kings, great series so far. I had no idea they had made Game of Thrones a series until a few weeks ago when we had free HBO. I watched all 10 hours of it....(I'm not a huge fan of TV, nor mini-series adaptations), I have to say, they did a pretty smokin' job!
LostinReno

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 am

Have moved onto Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 am

I love the guy who they got to play Tyrion... pulls the part off really well (other than not having mismatched eyes and a pronounced limp)...

Gonna be fun if they follow the formula to Clash - their SFX folk in will have a blast, and the locations they can grab... I can see one location shoot at Tierra del Fuego, another in far northern Russia... yeah. ;)

Winter is Coming. So's the burn!
Lassen Forge

Re:

Postby jkisha » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 am

According to the cover, we should have had it by 1950!
theCryptofishist wrote:I love this!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:43 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I love the guy who they got to play Tyrion... pulls the part off really well (other than not having mismatched eyes and a pronounced limp)...

Gonna be fun if they follow the formula to Clash - their SFX folk in will have a blast, and the locations they can grab... I can see one location shoot at Tierra del Fuego, another in far northern Russia... yeah. ;)

Winter is Coming. So's the burn!

OMG, I love, love, love the guy that plays Tyrion! He's actually made me enjoy him more as a character in the books. Everything about the show was very well done. The costuming is incredible! Bummed about Sean Bean :( , lol
LostinReno

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

He must have known about the character before he took the part. It was an intergral part of the story - why shit happened the way it did. That way he stays the good guy, the hero, the quintessential legendary Ned Stark. Ya know, the casting director did an amazing job - most of the characters can not only act the part, they're BELIEVABLE in the roles as well. That makes magic.
Lassen Forge

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:He must have known about the character before he took the part. It was an intergral part of the story - why shit happened the way it did. That way he stays the good guy, the hero, the quintessential legendary Ned Stark. Ya know, the casting director did an amazing job - most of the characters can not only act the part, they're BELIEVABLE in the roles as well. That makes magic.

I had just finished reading Game of Thrones, literally two days before I watched it. I was all noooooooo, when I found out he was Ned! LOL! I'm contemplating subscribing to HBO when it starts back up. It's almost worth it. :D
LostinReno

Postby Asherbeez » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Finishing up Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card. It's the most recent of the Ender's Game saga, all of which I've read numerous times (except the shadow books, never could get into those).

And I'm heading over to the book store today to pick up copy of Game of Thrones to see what all the hubub is about. Actually really excited for that one
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Walking Around in Circles Before Lying Down story about a woman who gets dumped, is feeling really low and then realizes that she can hear and talk to her dog and then other dogs. It is a silly little read, good for the beach/pool. I wish I could hear my dogs thoughts... :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I just finished reading A Death of Honor. It is well worth the 99 cent price tag for your kindle (and the writer is a friend of mine, so go buy his book :)).

I am starting in on Feed by Mira Grant. I had no idea it was about the zombie apocalypse.
pizzamancer

Postby BAS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:32 pm

My tarot deck (the Vision Tarot). Using the Celtic cross layout I asked it: My career: What should I do?

I drew: 1) 7 of Coins (right side up), 2) The Fool (right side up), 3) Ace of Coins (inverted), 4) Queen of Swords (right side up), 5) 4 of Staves (right side up), 6) Temperance (card 14, right side up), 7) The Sun (card 19, right side up), 8) Ace of Swords (inverted), 9) The Star (card 17, inverted), 10) The Empress (card 3, inverted).

I've been trying to figure out what I want to do/should do career-wise, since I think that my current job is really draining me-- and is why I have been feeling miserable so much lately. I figured a tarot reading couldn't hurt.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Wicked by Gregory McGuire
and got a new Larry McMurtrey Rhino Ranch (I think that's the title) new McMurtrey to me is like a plate of cookies hot out of the oven.
My local library which was the library I got my first card at when I was 5 years old has instituted a fee for county residents who do not reside in the list of towns they service. Although I live less than a half mile from this library, my address is not on their list. So in order to use a free lending library, I have to go 5 miles. and that is a teeny tiny library. I'm angry about this, and considering paying for the right to use the same old library I love. seriously, the non fiction area at the tiny library is almost all hollywood biographies... ? wtf. thinking about getting a kindle or nook, and downloading books. free through the library online.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 am

Alright Feed was a weird book. I almost stopped reading it at about 30% done, but after that it really picked up.

On to Twilight at the Well of Souls, by Jack L Chalker - A bit of old school pulp fiction.
pizzamancer

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion