posts, how far apart do they need to be?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: posts, how far apart do they need to be?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm

If you are setting up your camp in such a manner that you want people to approach from a certain direction, then a fence would help.
If your theme camp has a "private" area - and who among us desires such a thing? - then the fence can guide visitors to the public section instead. You have that right.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Sail Man wrote:
jkisha wrote:I don't think there's any hard and fast rule. I average about five or six posts a day, others post a lot more, and some don't post at all. They are usually referred to as lurkers.

:lol: Funny thing is, when I looked at the thread name, what you said JK is the first thing I thought of and I wondered how long it would take for somebody to run with it. Bravo sir, bravo!

Me too! and then I was making bets with myself on who would be first. I had it down to Shambalalalalala or Jkisha. I feel so smart.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Trishntek wrote:
jkisha wrote:I don't think there's any hard and fast rule. I average about five or six posts a day, others post a lot more, and some don't post at all. They are usually referred to as lurkers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've gone anywhere from 1 minute to 2 days between posts. Maybe more if I'm busy.

That was my original thought.
My answer was going to be "as quick as your web browser and internet speed allows?"

Though, I'm actually interested in this thread because I'm planning to do something similar.
We want a 'white picket fence' look at the front of our camp, and around the out side of our EVAP Pond.
I'm thinking that the back fence will also get some glow paint, or conspicuoty(SP?) tape.

Gonna get a roll or two, lay it out paint it white, then roll it back up. Seems like the lightest, smallest to pack, and cheapest way to get the look we want.

Try this.
http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/SLM404850-W/

I think spray painting orange safety fence white will yield a mostly orange fence and much miniscule moop by the end of the event.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Sail Man » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

tamarakay wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

:lol: Funny thing is, when I looked at the thread name, what you said JK is the first thing I thought of and I wondered how long it would take for somebody to run with it. Bravo sir, bravo!

Me too! and then I was making bets with myself on who would be first. I had it down to Shambalalalalala or Jkisha. I feel so smart.

Aha! A smarty pants eh?!

:P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Playa+Tom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Don't forget the insulators if you electrify the fence.
Playa+Tom

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Haha noted.
DesmondDoomsday

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I know I'm asking a lot of idiotic questions. We'd rather steer people around to the front and sides. This is my/our first time trying to go beyond just camping and setting up a really cool communal area. Short of a theme camp, but just something really awesome for our neighbors on the block-- lounging, music, cooking, comfort. Gotta start somewhere!
DesmondDoomsday

Postby jkisha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I've been with a theme camp for the last six years (the camp has been around in one reincarnation or another since there were theme camps) and we have never felt the need for a fence. We set the community stuff up front and the private areas toward the back. Trucks, cars and RVs are arranged creatively to separate private from public. Most people are smart enough to tell what areas are private and which are public, those that aren't won't let a fence keep them out anyway.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Well we won't have very many vehicles. But maybe we shouldn't.
DesmondDoomsday

Postby jkisha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

DesmondDoomsday wrote:Well we won't have very many vehicles. But maybe we shouldn't.

Doesn't matter, just make your public area look public, friendly and inviting; and make your private area look private. Arrange tents, yurts, whatever, more closely together and slightly away from the public area. Define your public area by putting it under a dome or large shade structure. Be creative. Putting up an ugly orange trash fence around your camp is not very creative. I mean, Burning Man is an art festival.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 am

It sucks when your camp becomes a thoroughfare. Designing it not to is important.

Not that I have any useful suggestions.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:42 pm

jkisha wrote:Putting up an ugly orange trash fence around your camp is not very creative. I mean, Burning Man is an art festival.

Where going 'little white' picket fence around our Gnome Garden. Better than just plain old plastic orange trash fence.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 pm

So long as BBadger can hop over, go through your things and watch you change clothes you should be fine!
DesmondDoomsday

Postby jkisha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

illy dilly wrote:
jkisha wrote:Putting up an ugly orange trash fence around your camp is not very creative. I mean, Burning Man is an art festival.

Where going 'little white' picket fence around our Gnome Garden. Better than just plain old plastic orange trash fence.

LOL I don't have any problem with picket fences around Gnome Gardens. I'm sure it will be done with the utmost of taste and decorum.
JK
jkisha

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

DesmondDoomsday wrote:So long as BBadger can hop over, go through your things and watch you change clothes you should be fine!

Anybody able-bodied enough to hop should do so at every opportunity.

Any of my things that aren't community property will be locked up.

And anybody who wants to watch me change clothes is welcome to do it. :roll: Sheesh. I am looking forward to being able to change clothes without giving a fuck.

Desmond my dear, if you require privacy in BRC I think you need more than a fence.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:30 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
DesmondDoomsday wrote:So long as BBadger can hop over, go through your things and watch you change clothes you should be fine!

And anybody who wants to watch me change clothes is welcome to do it. :roll: Sheesh. I am looking forward to being able to change clothes without giving a fuck.

If you let me watch, I will stand and applaud. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:00 am

worst part of no fence is when people cut through, say from esplanade to A street, then decide to 'make a lake' and it isn't just guys, cuz guys don't use a bit of paper to wipe their dainties....sometimes there is more paper, and a need for a shovel...

oh for an infrared or zerolight movie camera.... motion lights have been deployed on the back perimeter.

remember folks this is a big city, not just a big fun party in the desert...protect your ass, and assets
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 am

That is just disgusting! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
EspressoDude wrote:worst part of no fence is when people cut through, say from esplanade to A street, then decide to 'make a lake' and it isn't just guys, cuz guys don't use a bit of paper to wipe their dainties....sometimes there is more paper, and a need for a shovel...

oh for an infrared or zerolight movie camera.... motion lights have been deployed on the back perimeter.

remember folks this is a big city, not just a big fun party in the desert...protect your ass, and assets
JK
jkisha

Postby The CO » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Sometimes the need for a fence is for the safety of fools that don't know better than to walk through another camp. On multiple years, we fence areas off because the no one needs to walk through a 8' wide 20' long corridor with 56 guy wires (not exagerrating) in it.

However, if someone wants to fence their camp entirely, maybe add a moat & razor wire, I say go for it. Nobody can tell you what to do within the confines of your camp. Our neighbors always know the back door route(s) into camp, and are welcome to stop in. The only people that are inconvenienced by fencing are rude fucks cutting through other peoples camps. And, well, fuck those guys.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:08 pm

The CO wrote:The only people that are inconvenienced by fencing are rude fucks cutting through other peoples camps. And, well, fuck those guys.

+100
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

If you let me watch, I will stand and applaud. 8)

Deal.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Anybody able-bodied enough to hop should do so at every opportunity.

That will land you a very rude surprise in our neck of the woods.

I am all about welcoming in passerbys and happily shitting out rainbows and unicorns and entertaining the masses at the front of our camp. You cross a very obvious barrier that is delineating the rainbow farts and magic fairy powder zone from our personal space and gear, you will eventually get to leave the area with the impression we are the most "unburnery" people you have ever met. We ruined a couple of people's "experience" last year that could not adhere to basic fucking common courtesy and will not hesitate to do so again.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

damn, Cap.....

terminated @ Terminal City; video at 11:00
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Anybody able-bodied enough to hop should do so at every opportunity.

That will land you a very rude surprise in our neck of the woods.

I am all about welcoming in passerbys and happily shitting out rainbows and unicorns and entertaining the masses at the front of our camp. You cross a very obvious barrier that is delineating the rainbow farts and magic fairy powder zone from our personal space and gear, you will eventually get to leave the area with the impression we are the most "unburnery" people you have ever met. We ruined a couple of people's "experience" last year that could not adhere to basic fucking common courtesy and will not hesitate to do so again.

Well Cap'n Sir I am sorry if that looked like I would encourage folks to go rooting through your things, sit on your chairs, sleep on your beds or eat your porridge. That type of behavior is rarely safe.

But, I still believe, being able to hop is a wonderful thing. Hopping fences, while impaired, in the dark? Could be wonderful... or not. :twisted:

MyDearFriend

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Well Cap'n Sir I am sorry if that looked like I would encourage folks to go rooting through your things, sit on your chairs, sleep on your beds or eat your porridge. That type of behavior is rarely safe.

But, I still believe, being able to hop is a wonderful thing. Hopping fences, while impaired, in the dark? Could be wonderful... or not. :twisted:

Sit in my chair? OH HELL NO! :lol:

And yes, hopping is a wonderful thing. Personally, I prefer scampering though. My knees can't take too much hopping these days. :mrgreen:
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:40 pm

He's a king at scampering. We should have a contest to prove it.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 pm

OK everyone here is how it is.

The "Trash fence" is out there to stop debris and windborne trash from blowing into the dunes at the edges of the Playa.

When you use it in your own camp, it is called "Hippy Filtration Media", not "trash fence".

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled posting.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:33 pm

And the difference is?
oneeyeddick wrote:OK everyone here is how it is.

The "Trash fence" is out there to stop debris and windborne trash from blowing into the dunes at the edges of the Playa.

When you use it in your own camp, it is called "Hippy Filtration Media", not "trash fence".

JK
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 am

One keeps the trash in?

jkisha wrote:And the difference is?
oneeyeddick wrote:OK everyone here is how it is.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:49 am

Think Arrakeen Shield Wall.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping