Newb question: Ultimate backpack/bag? Fanny pack? Need input

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby StickyChron » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Substances/Clif bars in here. Water in a Camelbak.
StickyChron

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I like finding something that is on sale big time, and re-purposing it for Burning Man gear. These are game bag belts, with big pockets. the bottom one I searched today and it's around 18 dollars. I'm sure very similar to military surplus sort of things.
I also like this cotton nylon (nycot?) mesh vest very lightweight and it has two mesh and elastic bottle pockets on the sides.

I'm committed to the belt carry, or vest option since my shoulders and neck were so sore from carrying a shoulder strap bag and water bottle a couple of years. Using the backpack was more comfortable, but taking it off, turning it around, digging around inside... just to get a drink of water, or pull out the camera, was a drag. Then of course, like AntiM said... letting a bike or vehicle carry it for you too is great. bike baskets are wonderful. I like having two water bottle cages on my bike. These are great because they go anywhere on the frame, and I don't have to worry about not having braze on fittings. I also found some insulated water bottles to try out this year, purple to match my bike.

What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Elorum, where did you find that game bag on sale? It's nice, I'd sport that ;)
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm

What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby snake » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm

i don't like backpacks during the day...they are too hot. plus i ride a bike...so my bike basket carries stuff.
otherwise i like my utli-belt....or my hubby's pockets.
snake

Postby TomServo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 pm

military packs
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 am

I got a military camelbak.
I always just carried water bottles, so we'll see.
I plan to change to the rebuildable army issue mouthpiece, from the standard camelbak one.
I intend to decorate it it by letting it get dust on it.
The generic issue model may be better, but has a small unhandy fill opening.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 am

Anything Ogio, darling.
http://ogio.com/backpacks/hydration-1
Definitely bulletproof.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lucidvegas » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Wow. I really like that flight vest! 140!!!!

Some high end playa gear don't ya think?

I got a ol' Jansport with gel shoulders......and a regular mid/low high end camel back. Hmmmm......

Maybe I just need an old fanny pack and my gear I already have before I go out and get the super back pack.

I love my neat toys though! Including back packs/gear.

Decisions decision.

For my first trip to the Playa I'm already nearing 2k!~ I knew I would be though heh.
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby TomServo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Don't bring a fanny pack.

TomServo

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:37 pm

TomServo wrote:Don't bring a fanny pack.

+100

Rather a henbag (or a paper bag for that matter).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Lucidvegas » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Fanny packs arnt cool even on the playa.....that's sad.
Lucidvegas

Postby Savannah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14 pm

It's cool if it's made out of green faux fur, draped in Christmas lights, and full of DREAMS.

That's not a euphemism for "horse tranquilizers".
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TomServo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:Fanny packs arnt cool even on the playa.....that's sad.

no. its just a fact of life.

TomServo

Postby C187 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Savannah wrote:That's not a euphemism for "horse tranquilizers".

Uh hu.. sure. :roll:
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Diy

Postby Rusted Iron » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm barely passable with a sewing machine but I managed to put together a waist bag made of a cut-down skirt from Goodwill, exterior pockets from old cords and a couple of feet of fringe. this year, I'm adding a pocket for my camera.
Rusted Iron

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 am

Pics please rusted iron!
Lucidvegas

Re: Newb question: Ultimate backpack/bag? Fanny pack? Need i

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Although i got specal needs Carying a guitar case and mobile amp THE most comftrable back pack ive ever used
is my Military ruck sack or back pack with a steel support spine that goes to the lower back with wrap around belt
three years ago took apat the shoulder straps added extra foam

have hiked multi day trips fully loaded tent and all and biked with it ligh/med load SOLID
and its huge but colapses down well if ur not carrying much

ive also outfited mine with two pockets on the inside that hold the camel pack pouches freze jell packs put one on iter side an wrap in part
of an emergency blanket never a hot drink really LovE mE PAcK shnooogins
subliminalkick

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Dakine Heli-Pro with built in/integrated 3L CamelBack

Comfy, slim, super well built. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re:

Postby Sail Man » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm

OK, that's really fucked up LOL

BBadger wrote:An old bag.

Sorry Grandma :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby robotland » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:14 am

I'm working on The Personal Trailer Project- basically a tow-behind-yer-bike kid carrier with a decent welded frame and pneumatic tires that I intend to add sockets to for PVC pipe, as well as a small cooler and maybe battery compartment for Anti-Darkwad Nighttime Compliance...It also works just 'binered to my back belt loop, providing I'm wearing a bottom garment. The PVC sockets hold a shade canopy light and open enough to not be a kite but big enough to allow my entire bad self to be shaded...possibly Aluminet. And a pole for the new Whale Master flag, of course! Actually, since this rig's heavy-duty enough to carry a Free-range American Child I really should add a 12V solar panel....some speakers.....wheel flaps (with Mud Honeys)....disco ball...trailer hitch (so the trailer can have a subtrailer)....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 pm

I saw a pretty cool messenger bag/pack thingy crochetted out of plarn (Plastic bags cut into length strips and made into yarn) and tallboy cans. I loved it so much I started making one of my own and I've never had a bag that had enough pockets for my taste!
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
Smenkare

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:42 pm

OGIO rules the wasteland!
Very tough and quality manufacture.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Smenkare » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm

The best gear tote for the playa is one that can carry your water, some sunscreen, your lights, a snack, goggles, sunglasses, a beverage or food container lip balm and anything else you might need out there while still being comfortable and not too bulky. I use a hydro-pack because the primary thing I need to carry on the playa is water. My hydro-pack is neon green and originally purchased for backpacking and S&R work. Some people like lots of pockets, other people loath them. It depends on what you are carrying and the ease with which you want to retrieve it.

If there is a style of bag you currently prefer to use, such as a backpack or a messenger bag or a purse, then try riding a bike with your preferred tote/bag, if you find that it's not working, then find one that'll work better. Burning Man sees a lot of bike and foot travel, and it's huge.

Carrying enough water to get you through the day can be really heavy. Add to that your sunscreen and various snacks you can easily reach 10-15 lbs just in gear. Because of this, I personally tend to go for back packs/hydro packs because it evenly distributes the weight over my shoulders and generally they're padded and designed for carrying that kind of weight. Another bag that's great for biking is a messenger bag. I used a Chrome Metro my first year, but its tough to get your water bottle out while you're riding unless you have it in a cage on your bike, and then, it's easy to forget your water bottle on your bike or have it fall out when you ride over some washboard.

Fanny packs: Some of them have external pockets (Like Mountain smith) that you can stick water bottles in. These are great for drinking on the go, whether you're riding your bike or walking and they don't stress your shoulders. If you're wearing one while climbing though, your water bottles can fall out. I saw this happen in 2011 at the Thunderdome, and it was a full clean canteen. It fell from way up top. If it had hit someone in the head, that was a medevac right there.

So there really isn't any holy grail of playa bags (yet) it all comes down to personal preference. Trying out a whole bunch before you go to TBTITD might help you find which one works best for you.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
Smenkare

Burning Since: 2011

Postby AbundantChoice » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 am

I use the Camelbak Rim Runner. It's got the 3L reservoir so I don't need to make emergency trips back to camp to refill, the internal organizer pockets and stuff work pretty well (one the internal pouches fits my huge Leatherman perfectly), and it's got two mesh external pockets on the sides that fit thermos's well and are easy access. I love having two thermoses/drinking vessels when out and about, one small one for alcoholic drinks (to use at bars you find while out traveling), and a larger one that I use for water + NUUN electrolyte tablets or water + liquid water flavoring.

I also generally have this... don't know how to describe it... tiny military vertical pouch thing... that I got for all of $10 at the military surplus store that attaches to my belt or to one of the straps of my backpack, that basically has one pocket for my goggles and one pocket for my anti-dust mask. That way I don't need to go into my backpack to grab 'em and there's an easy place to temporarily store them.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks