Altai shelter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Altai shelter

Postby al6677 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Anyone tried one of these on the playa?

Any experience at all with them?

Burning Since: 2006

Re: Altai shelter

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Says "most suited to ... more protected terrain, but it can also stand up to harsh weather year ‘round", so I'd clarify with the manufacturer what that means, as well as what the overall footprint is when you stake all the provided guy points, whether it's suitable to drape shade cloth over it, and whether you're likely to void the warranty using it in the open desert with strong wind gusts. Looks cute, though.
Amazing desert structures & stuff:

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Haven't seen that shade before. Hm . . . no reviews, and no mention of wind. Those two things would make me keep searching right there. I would google the item until I found reviews. Secondly, usually manufacturers brag about it when an item stands up to wind (or other very specific weather) well. They don't even mention the word "wind".

Does anyone else think the shape and lack of flow might make it hot and stuffy inside, like a tent? And that it looks like it would catch wind too well?
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Best benefit I see is the weight for the size of it, (6 pounds is pretty amazing) which might not be such a big deal for a car camper. Might interest those coming on airplanes. It isn't really standing height except near the center, with the sides being 43". Would be a neat evening hanging out cave perhaps.

So for shade, it would be mainly sitting shade, and could be a bit of a baking experience unless there was a way to roll up the bottom and get some more airflow.

I think with good guying out and sturdy poles, it could shed the wind as well as a cabin tent. People camping in snowy places, get snowstorms and those can be windy.
Hell is only half full. There's room for you and me. Looking for a new fool. Who's it going to be? - Warren Zevon
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:02 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to Shelter & Camping