Spam Suggestion

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Spam Suggestion

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:48 am

Having just encountered and reported a metric crap ton of commercial spam or spam bot posts here, it occurs to me that a solution used by several of the other boards I frequent may eliminate most of that (my local Freecycle board is one of them).

The boards I'm referring to require the first two posts by new members to be approved by a moderator before appearing on the boards. Once two posts have been approved, the user can post normally. This completely blocks any spam bots (and likely makes them very obvious), and seems to weed out non bot spammers as well.

I realize that some on this board may not be fond of the idea of someone having to approve their first few posts, but it seems that it would be a small price to pay to combat these spammers. And probably far less work for mods / admins in the long run.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Spam Suggestion

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 am

It appears like we're set up to do such a thing, but it has't been implemented. It would solve a lot of problems on the user end. Yes, it would slow down regular posts a great deal. We'd need more mods.

However, the new spam report icon is wonderful and mods can do a clean up faster than ever. Love it.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 am

I'd like to see moderators able to delete or suspend accounts too, perhaps only in the context of spammers if people are afraid of stifling discussions. Captchas might help too, but many bots have been able to get around them.

Perhaps just some requirement that new users must post a greeting in the announce yourself forum before being able to start threads and/or 5 posts. Of course that would all require someone making a mod for it, and considering how little interaction the admins have with this board at the moment, it'll take a while.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Proven spambot solution

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:27 am

I was a forum admin where I worked recently. At the beginning of the year, CAPTCHA was cracked. The only thing that worked to keep the spambots out was a real human verification system.

To register, you had to correctly answer the question: "Type the forth word of this sentence."
Once that was in place, I wasn't banning hundreds of accounts a day. They weren't getting in at all. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 am

Is it my imagination? Or is spamming worse than ever before? This is getting ridiculous! If there was some way to ban the author and not going through each post from that same bot.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 am

Trishntek wrote:Is it my imagination? Or is spamming worse than ever before? This is getting ridiculous! If there was some way to ban the author and not going through each post from that same bot.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. The amount of crap threads (besides the ones asking for tickets) is staggering. I don't understand why they can't be deleted as soon as they pop up. The first page of new posts was a solid 50% Russian and other obvious spam.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:16 am

Regionals and events is useless now.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:39 am

Seems like it's getting worse by the day. Word must be getting out that the board is wide open with no spam traps and every bot and their brother are coming over for the party.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Proven spambot solution

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:46 am

capjbadger wrote:I was a forum admin where I worked recently. At the beginning of the year, CAPTCHA was cracked. The only thing that worked to keep the spambots out was a real human verification system.

To register, you had to correctly answer the question: "Type the forth word of this sentence."
Once that was in place, I wasn't banning hundreds of accounts a day. They weren't getting in at all. :)

-Badger

This is what we had before the upgrade, now we have captcha. It obviously does not work.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:48 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Trishntek wrote:Is it my imagination? Or is spamming worse than ever before? This is getting ridiculous! If there was some way to ban the author and not going through each post from that same bot.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. The amount of crap threads (besides the ones asking for tickets) is staggering. I don't understand why they can't be deleted as soon as they pop up. The first page of new posts was a solid 50% Russian and other obvious spam.

Personally, I don't want to babysit the board 24/7. I get up in the morning, have a cup of coffee and then delete spam. The other mods do that too when they are on. The board is moderated by humans who sleep now and then.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 am

(((((((((((AntiM))))))))))))))
We appreciate all you and the other mods do and we are on your side! This is not a complaint about the mods in general or you in particular. The ADMIN needs to implement some kind of screening process for newcomers,,,,, jus' sayin'
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:01 am

I know. Just having a Bad Spam Day. I sent up the bat signal.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 am

capjbadger wrote:I was a forum admin where I worked recently. At the beginning of the year, CAPTCHA was cracked. The only thing that worked to keep the spambots out was a real human verification system.

-Badger

Am I imagining this or did Eplaya once have a function like this?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:

-Badger

Am I imagining this or did Eplaya once have a function like this?

Indeed it did and it worked very well.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 pm

AntiM wrote:

-Badger

This is what we had before the upgrade, now we have captcha. It obviously does not work.

Yeah, they cracked it right around new years 2010/2011. I was getting hammered by bots (like eplaya is now) every day until we put in the non-CAPTCHA system.

At least I was able to ban the accounts. Granted they just created new accounts.
It's completely stupid they you are not given the ability to ban obvious spambot accounts. :shock:

You will continue to be hammered with spam posts until you switch away from CAPTCHA. :|

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Ok... this is out of hand. Who is the damn Admin around here that can't be bothered to ban these users and change the registration process?? :evil:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:40 am

They're aware and have responded, looking for a workable fix.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Return to Policy Discussion