Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 am

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=40592

I can't read it, but I feel strangely aroused :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 pm

At best, off topic:
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=38558
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 am

Which post? Do us a favor, use the "!" icon at the top of the post, that way we don't have to scan the entire topic.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I've been doing that, but I come back and they're still around. We seem to be getting more than usual. :(
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby jkisha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I've been doing that, but I come back and they're still around. We seem to be getting more than usual. :(

I know what you mean. I don't think the problem is with the reporting system. The problem is that as soon as the mods get one post, the same person posts up the exact same add (like that one in Russian that I don't know how many times I've reported it) and as I was saying, the problem is that the mods don't have the ability to actually delete the account of the person posting the spam. Well, that and the spam module hasn't been installed on the new board.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:06 pm

It's getting out of hand, I think I flagged 20 of them today (it semeed like that many).

Mods must be growing weary.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby jkisha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Yup, i flagged a bunch of those today too!

JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 am

The icon does well, but no, we don't have a good way to keep the spammers out. And no, mods can't block the IP or user account.

I wake up, pour my coffee and battle spam before I even get out of bed.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 am

AntiM wrote:The icon does well, but no, we don't have a good way to keep the spammers out. And no, mods can't block the IP or user account.

I wake up, pour my coffee and battle spam before I even get out of bed.

Sure glad you're there to do it, but it is truly sad that admin has so little respect for the value of the board and the mods. Having to deal with that much spam takes a toll and doesn't leave much time or enthusiasm for other mod responsibilities, I would imagine.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 am

jkisha wrote:
AntiM wrote:The icon does well, but no, we don't have a good way to keep the spammers out. And no, mods can't block the IP or user account.

I wake up, pour my coffee and battle spam before I even get out of bed.

Sure glad you're there to do it, but it is truly sad that admin has so little respect for the value of the board and the mods. Having to deal with that much spam takes a toll and doesn't leave much time or enthusiasm for other mod responsibilities, I would imagine.


They don't know until they are told. As I have just done. Next, I'll agitate about the bug issues to see what can and cannot be resolved. One thing at a time. A busy, busy time.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 am

Ban the IP address. Sometimes spam comes in from a range of IP addresses.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby jkisha » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Well, based on the Russian spam, it doesn't seem that the outage had anything to do with taking care of that issue. So why was the site down?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Good question, Youtube is not working either.

Edit: On second thought, and in fairness, there haven't been any spam posts date-stamped after it came back up. Yeah............. I know.............. it's one of my greatest "faults".
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 am

The spam problem is getting so bad that now the spammers are even assaulting us in this policy forum and pushing down this thread.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3973
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:25 am

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:02 am

ZOMG crazy bot replying on 62187312983712 posts! Ban ban ban

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40854
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:41 am

Thanks. Are you using the spam icon on the posts too? That way you don't have to copy and paste the url. It turns the post pink also!

The spammer replying to another spammer with spam cracked me up for a moment though.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby jkisha » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 am

AntiM wrote:Thanks. Are you using the spam icon on the posts too? That way you don't have to copy and paste the url. It turns the post pink also!

The spammer replying to another spammer with spam cracked me up for a moment though.

Must turn the post pink only for mods to make it easier for them to find. It's the same color on the regular user's side.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 am

Oooh, I'm special. It is pretty though.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

jkisha wrote:
AntiM wrote:Thanks. Are you using the spam icon on the posts too? That way you don't have to copy and paste the url. It turns the post pink also!

The spammer replying to another spammer with spam cracked me up for a moment though.

Must turn the post pink only for mods to make it easier for them to find. It's the same color on the regular user's side.

Yeah, what we get is a "This Post Has Already Been Reported" message, which makes me feel like a total tool.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37462
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:23 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13867
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 am

This is getting unbearable.

I've resorted to Foeing repeat spammers. The downside is you don't see the posts, hence, don't have immediate access to the "!" function. Frankly, its unfair to deluge the mods with this anyway, I'd rather email them to admin (but won't just yet). The plus is that since the evidence of the post doesn't disappear all the posts of those you foed show up with their username in a different color (don't ask me what color, haven't a clue).

I logged on this morning, the unread thing yielded 104 posts since last read.

Scanning the listing, "read" all the obvious span posts eliminated 52 of them.

While I was scanning 2 more were posted (probably more were added as typed this post).

52% of posts were spam, talk about drivel.

How long before more mods give up either by resigning or becoming as lax as admin in dealing with them? ...and who could blame them?

Incompetence, apathy, whatever the case may be what's the point of running the damn thing if you're not going to maintain it properly?

If admin doesn't give a shit then shut the thing down already.

EDIT: 3 more were posted by Cramitteerife in the time it took me to post that.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 am

Not even going to bother opening and flagging all 46 posts this asshole has posted...
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=48108

This is fucking stupid. It is not that hard to get off of CAPTCHA and put in a real system that works. Jesus fucking christ on a pogo stick... :evil:
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 am

Sic Pup wrote:This is getting unbearable.

I've resorted to Foeing repeat spammers. The downside is you don't see the posts, hence, don't have immediate access to the "!" function. Frankly, its unfair to deluge the mods with this anyway, I'd rather email them to admin (but won't just yet). The plus is that since the evidence of the post doesn't disappear all the posts of those you foed show up with their username in a different color (don't ask me what color, haven't a clue).

I logged on this morning, the unread thing yielded 104 posts since last read.

Scanning the listing, "read" all the obvious span posts eliminated 52 of them.

While I was scanning 2 more were posted (probably more were added as typed this post).

52% of posts were spam, talk about drivel.

How long before more mods give up either by resigning or becoming as lax as admin in dealing with them? ...and who could blame them?

Incompetence, apathy, whatever the case may be what's the point of running the damn thing if you're not going to maintain it properly?

If admin doesn't give a shit then shut the thing down already.

EDIT: 3 more were posted by Cramitteerife in the time it took me to post that.


Sic pup, I've already resigned. Not for spam, I can handle it. They tend to stop after a few if the posts are deleted quickly. However, you are correct, we need a better way to shut the front door.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16398
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:47 am

I'm not much for ranting but I agree - the spam has become unbearable.

There are more spam posts appearing than member posts.

Something needs to be done.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:59 am

4 hours later, 38 unread posts, 20 = spammers.

Spammers can automate yet the powers that be leave it to the besieged mods to sit on the front lines and deal with it, and all the complaints, manually while they either hide behind the scenes or sit back with their middle fingers firmly raised (or both). Some burners.

Fuck your day for sure.

I'm done complaining.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Death to Spammers, Phishers etc.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am

KILL THEM NOW!
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13867
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest