Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:34 am

jella wrote:> jkisha wrote:
>> theCryptofishist wrote:
>>> hsdavis wrote:

>>> What's up with the Google bot and the Yahoo bot always logged in here snooping around? Rather creepy!

>> I think that might be inevitable, with the way search engines work in this day and age. They might have been poking around without our knowledge, and now that they are tracked we get creeped out. (Crept out?)

> Yup, they crawl blogs and bulletin boards pretty frequently. Want proof? Just do a Google search for posts from yesterday!

Wanna be spooked google just your eplaya name.

Another not-a-bug issue.

I have no problem with Google. Last I checked, this a publicly accessible BBS, and even with phpbb upgrades Google still makes for a better eplaya search engine. It would creep me out more if eplaya and other semi-public BBSs blocked access for no good reason. The whole point is to present a public face for the bunringman.

eta:
The You may embed only 3 quotes within each other business is really bugging me, as is the lack of true threading. Even tribe.net can manage crude threading of discussions. In the big picture, most users won't care, though.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Okay, this might qualify as a bug. Or just another mistake.

The "Burning Man" image/link in the page header links to the eplaya's index page, not the main website's.

Bob

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:35 am

As in most everything I've seen so far this is no big shakes but definitely something not working the way it's intended. I dont know if if fits the couches criteria for a bug or not, I'd classify it as a minor inconvenience, but I tend to not sweat the minutiae.

When clicking on the "page" icon next to the user name of the last message posted over on the right it doesn't always take one to the last post of the thread as it should.

I haven't really figured out what's causing it, at first blush I thought is was any thread with pictures, but that doesn't seem to hold true on all, something to do with the number of quotes? I dont know, not motivated enough to find out, in fact I'm only posting this because I've found nothing else to say today.

....and in true ePlaya fashion, it just felt right to gripe about meaningless shit.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby 1durphul » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 am

Bob wrote:Ahem. Page design involves *features*, not *bugs*.

As a professional software engineer that builds enterprise websites as my 9-5 I disagree with your definition of bug.

Basically anything that is unintended behavior is a bug. I doubt when they made a decision about the color (or didn't make a decision and left it default) that they realized it would have the unintended consequence of being low contrast on the backgrounds. That unintended behavior qualifies it as a bug in my book.
1durphul

Postby pizzamancer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:03 am

The new color scheme really need some work. Every other post is at such a low contrast to the background that it is not fun to look at.

(And the 3 quote limit sucks)
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

1durphul wrote:
Bob wrote:Ahem. Page design involves *features*, not *bugs*.

As a professional software engineer that builds enterprise websites as my 9-5 I disagree with your definition of bug.

Basically anything that is unintended behavior is a bug. I doubt when they made a decision about the color (or didn't make a decision and left it default) that they realized it would have the unintended consequence of being low contrast on the backgrounds. That unintended behavior qualifies it as a bug in my book.

Maybe, but they're still horrendous interface design mistakes. Probably resulted from some half-interested staffer being given the task of making the snappy new off-the-shelf style sheet they started with produce something resembling the old color scheme.

Now, the twitchy animated icons, and the strobe effect of mousing over the topic & thread lists -- those might qualify more as built-in bugs inherited from the new style sheet.

Bob

Postby jella » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:00 pm

For some reason recent pics I posted in the work in progress thread disappeared :? .
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:12 pm

jella wrote:For some reason recent pics I posted in the work in progress thread disappeared :? .

Is it possible you inadvertanly pressed "save" instead of submit?

If so, go back to the thread, hit reply and you'll see your drafts and a method to "load" them.
Sic Pup

Postby jella » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
jella wrote:For some reason recent pics I posted in the work in progress thread disappeared :? .

Is it possible you inadvertanly pressed "save" instead of submit?

If so, go back to the thread, hit reply and you'll see your drafts and a method to "load" them.

I actually posted it with pics on the 3rd it was quoted by FoxFur and the pics showed but today the post is there but the pic isn't. Not a problem just something odd I thought you'd like to know about :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Moi? I'm afraid you have me confused with someone who'll promptly ignore you anyway.

I was just trying to help.....
Last edited by Sic Pup on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Pup

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:50 pm

If you delete the pics from the hosting site, they dissapear here.

It happened alot to me when I first started posting here.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jella » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Ah ha ! It's just my damn computer at work :evil: .
They show up here at my home puter. Sorry to be a bother.
jella

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 pm

I can delete any post I want of mine going back to when I created KV back in 2007. The ability to edit was set at one hour by community consensus in order to keep people from doing wholesale post deletion. A wise admin should go back and look up this subject as the arguments for it then are just as sound today.

I also wish the Burning Man link took one to the main Burning Man website vs. Locking us into an info silo of sorts. Also how about some more promotion of the board on the JRS, social media and other resources?

Excluding hating the Google bot....the new board looks good on portable devices and that's what matters most to me. It has room for overall improvement.....but all in all it is better.

I know this is bug fixes not the bitch thread but it was posted that the powers that be will read this. And I wanted my voice and opinion heard.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 am

We can go in and prevent editing of individual posts. Not very useful.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Kinetic V wrote:I can delete any post I want of mine going back to when I created KV back in 2007. The ability to edit was set at one hour by community consensus in order to keep people from doing wholesale post deletion. A wise admin should go back and look up this subject as the arguments for it then are just as sound today.

Any idea where to find them? Some people might find it interesting, heck, maybe a reprise of the conversation is in order.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm

hsdavis wrote:Also, I often post YouTube videos for the community's listening and dancing pleasure. Not having that would be sorely missed.

Is this being addressed? A little googling will find a progrmaming solution. Let's get with it! Thank you!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 am

Not that I'm holding my breath that any of these issues will be addressed I feel obligated to report another:

When reading through the "View unread posts" if the number exceeds one page and one starts from the back, let's say page 2, when one reaches the end of page 2 (e,g, having read the last (first) message on page 2) the blank page is displayed and it reads Page 2 of 1 at the top without any option to go to page 1 other than to start over. Again, not earthshattering but not right either.
Sic Pup

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:34 am

Bob wrote:The You may embed only 3 quotes within each other business is really bugging me, as is the lack of true threading. Even tribe.net can manage crude threading of discussions. In the big picture, most users won't care, though.

Oh come on, do you really need the context of context of context on a simple web forum? Yeah, threading, that'd be nice for people who use it, but on a linear forum you don't need three nested layers of quotes especially with no mechanisms to collapse them so they're not just repeated material. Some people will just top-post and quote the entire thread worth of text whenever they reply, wasting tons of space.

More advanced forum software like vBulletin give messages specific IDs which can be used to back-reference to the posts in question. They also have nice features like multiquoting which makes things nice. I'd even donate to have it switched if I had any confidence that anything would be done.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 am

The main problem with this thread is that these aren't even bugs. It's not like phpBB was written for this site and hasn't been tested thousands of times over by the developers and beta testers. The closest thing to a "bug" is that posts can be edited from any time, but that's more of a bad setting, not really a bug.

These are usability complaints, which means the admins will probably relegate them to the back-burning, should anything else come up. The level of silence from those with any power to change anything is just deafening.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 am

It they wait long enough, they know people will just become used to it and resigned to the new board the way it is. The problems will sort of solve themselves by familiarity.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:48 am

BBadger wrote:
Bob wrote:The You may embed only 3 quotes within each other business is really bugging me, as is the lack of true threading. Even tribe.net can manage crude threading of discussions. In the big picture, most users won't care, though.

Oh come on, do you really need the context of context of context on a simple web forum? Yeah, threading, that'd be nice for people who use it, but on a linear forum you don't need three nested layers of quotes especially with no mechanisms to collapse them so they're not just repeated material. Some people will just top-post and quote the entire thread worth of text whenever they reply, wasting tons of space.

More advanced forum software like vBulletin give messages specific IDs which can be used to back-reference to the posts in question. They also have nice features like multiquoting which makes things nice. I'd even donate to have it switched if I had any confidence that anything would be done.

And the 'threading' feature is pretty much wasted on bm.tribe.net, with moderators and frequent posters routinely replying out-of-sequence, and all it practically does is set a series of indents. Looks clean, though.

Bob

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Minor bug/oversight: the board moderators no longer show up in "moderator green". An old leftover complaint: I am the only moderator with "Moderator" below my avatar. Nice touches to be taken care of eventually, please.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Where have we hidden the TOS?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:12 pm

So when does the Russian selling ED pills get the boot? Or did this wonderful change strip the moderators of the power to put the kibosh on these things?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 am

Kinetic V wrote:So when does the Russian selling ED pills get the boot? Or did this wonderful change strip the moderators of the power to put the kibosh on these things?

They never had that power in the first place. The human verification system was taking care of most of them.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 am

capjbadger wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:So when does the Russian selling ED pills get the boot? Or did this wonderful change strip the moderators of the power to put the kibosh on these things?

They never had that power in the first place. The human verification system was taking care of most of them.

-Badger

This is true. Dork put most of our good temporary fixes in place, but he has moved on for the most part. Most of the spammers like that are one hit wonders and never return, so usually just deleting their posts or keeping them out was enough. Not so much with this latest batch. Admin has been informed, and are looking for the best solutions. I do know that these threads are going to be monitored and a master task list generated. It is about the worst time of year for this, so I am trying to balance patience and aggravation.

What we need is a "super-mod", one with IT skills, access, and time. And an understanding of the nuances of the eplaya community. :mrgreen:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:45 pm

AntiM wrote:Where have we hidden the TOS?

I was just wondering this too. Can't find it anywhere.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm

AntiM wrote:What we need is a "super-mod", one with IT skills, access, and time. And an understanding of the nuances of the eplaya community. :mrgreen:

With all due respect, It's not hard to spot the spammers. I work another board (otherwise I would volunteer here) and all mods are free to delete posts.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
AntiM wrote:What we need is a "super-mod", one with IT skills, access, and time. And an understanding of the nuances of the eplaya community. :mrgreen:

With all due respect, It's not hard to spot the spammers. I work another board (otherwise I would volunteer here) and all mods are free to delete posts.

Mods here can delete and delete and delete hundreds of posts from the same bot. A mod with enhanced powers could stop the user-bot cold.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

To make it as easy as possible for whomever gets around to parsing the users this is a capture of my "Foes" (minus Can't Stop Spewing shit):

I know it's not the solution but it will certainly make a difference in the interim.
Sic Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Site Function