Where do I camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Herring » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

So how much room do we get for camping? All the photos I've seen the tents look like they're right on top of eachother. I've got a truck that will be hauling a flat trailer for my art, and art car if I get approval, plus our tent, bikes, tarp, shade structure and shower... I don't know how much space that'll take up but I'm worried it'll be a lot. Are people who take up a lot of room looked down on? Or should I actively try to take up as much space as possible so that people who arrive after me don't squeeze in where they won't fit? Are there actual lots or do you just spread out in all directions?

VVV Edit: Definitely no theme camp, just me and my friends 2-4 people. VVV
Herring

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Herring, it depends if you have a theme camp or not.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Like UD says, if you're in a theme camp you'll be assigned space. If not, take what's reasonable for your needs.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

It wouldn't be Burnish to take more space than you need, but I sense that you're not that way.

Decide on how much space you need and arrange your gear (trailer, etc.) so it's clear what territory you're claiming. Then, as soon as you get a chance, visit with your neighbors, exchange some gifts, etc.

Don't worry about competing for space or people taking room from you. It's going to be fine.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Herring » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:...Don't worry...

Thanks, I think that's what I needed to hear.

I just start making all the grandiose plans for a campsite and I get carried away. I guess most of the photos I've seen of tents packed in like sardines have been from theme camps or groups of people who know eachother? Seems like the attitude is there's enough room for most people to spread out their stuff and get comfortable?
Herring

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

Breath deep, my green-skinned sweetheart. :)
It's going to be all right.
If you got some big art going on, consider putting together a theme camp.

You might have gotten the impression that theme camps "have to" involve huge numbers of people and you "have to" provide food and licquor for whoever wanders by. That's not really the case.

My own theme camp in 2009 was staffed by no more than five souls.

If you can arrange something interactive that revolves around your art piece, and if it's halfway related to this year's theme, then you should be on easy street.

Selfishly, I am thinking that if you have a theme camp, more people will visit it and enjoy it because of more central placement.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Imagine147 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm

People seem to be a little anti RV. I will be a first timer and do plan on renting an rv coming from Florida. the plan is to get a small one so we don't take up a lot of room and I don't plan on spending much time in it. I have seen that rvs make good blocking structures from the wind to protect tents and would want to do that to protect neighbors in tents. I'm not expecting a quiet experience or to get much sleep but just thought an rv would be nice to have all bases covered for a first timer. Are people in rv's usually looked down upon? I want to make sure my neighbors don't think "o' boy, here come rv people"
Imagine147

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:48 pm

I think they may be looked down upon because people in rvs may have a tendency to not get out and interact, also if you run the generator alot it is annoying to neighbors. That's just my take on it, but I am sure more seasoned burners will chime in here...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Imagine147 wrote:I want to make sure my neighbors don't think "o' boy, here come rv people"

More likely ""o' boy, here come people who worry too much about what other's might think" :wink:
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Herring. Just pay attention to the map the Greeters give you when you come in, in order to be really clear that you are not camping in a theme camp area. I think the map is also usually available online close to the event. Shaded areas are reserved.

Theme camp areas are marked physically with foot-high wire flags, in pairs, last I knew. (Single flags merely mark the edge of a street.) And yes, talk to your neighbors when you come in.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm

(Single flags merely mark the edge of a street.) And yes, talk to your neighbors when you come in.

lol last year when we arrived at about 11 am on Monday I was driving around looking for a camping spot. I was starting to get pissed because of all the little flag markers but not seeing anyone camped there... :oops:

Thanks Savannah

edit because i can't figure out the quote thing[/quote]
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Abigail J » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 am

I always camp next to Costco Soulmates. Sometimes on top of them.
Flies spread diseases; keep yours zipped.
Abigail J

Re: Where do I camp?

Postby wedeliver » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 am

I have a friend who is a real estate agent and they wil be setting up an office near center camp where the premo properties will be auctioned off. Especially those in foreclosure, those will go first. If you would like to get on the mailing list click here.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:40 am

So is the premo property on the beach or snob hill?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby wedeliver » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am

The last year or two it seems that most of the interest is for lake front property. What with the financial crisis and all and so many short sales for properties further out, Property with a view or with water frontage is very hot. Also this year for the first time we might allow "double decking", that is where people camp ontop of other people. Kinda going for the New York Image, (really for that group from Buffalo, simon) where properties go UP not OUT.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 am

I like the restricted community on the island in the middle of the lake!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

Yeah, but the Islanders are such cultural snobs with their grass skirts and signal flares
Trishntek

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 am

Yeah, but there's this one that has all these intamate devices that................

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:45 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Yeah, but there's this one that has all these intamate devices that................

SHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do not speak of the secrets of Iuma, the Goddess of the Senses!
Trishntek

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am

Definitely lots of great deal on waterfront.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Urban » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:46 am

Morning,

I am trying to grasp the distances. I have checked the recently issued maps and the satellite shot provided by Figjam. I am arriving with my lil group Tuesday AM, so I know I will be in the outerlands. I am just wondering about how far as the crow flies is it from 9:45 and Kindergarten to Center Camp or strolling the lanes from 9:45 and Kindergarten to Center camp (following the contour). It looks like almost 2 1/2 to 3 miles. It is a big city. Am I off on my calcs?

Urban
Urban

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:20 am

1/2 mile, maybe a little more from there.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 am

More like 1 1/2 miles from 9:30 and K down to Esplanade and then to center camp ( from a quick scaling off the map ).

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... 070611.jpg

9:00 and L straight thru to 3:00 and L looks to be about 2 miles.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 am

I've camped near 9:45 a number of times and that sounds about right, HandJamMasterC.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Look at the satellite map of 2010. Some places were cramped. Others had lots of empty space still (South East).
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Apox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 am

Why on the map of the Playa does it mark 'Walk-in Camping' is the section on the right? is that the only place we can camp if we aren't apart of a theme camp? I think this is where a lot of the confusion comes from.
Apox

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 am

The distinction is that the walk-in camp is intended for those who park their vehicles in the designated lot and "walk-in" to their campground, as opposed to driving in and keeping their vehicle in their camp. You can camp anywhere but in the shaded areas (and, in fact, even in the shaded area if not occupied by the time gate is officially opened).

Which begs the question "what happens with a soft open?" I haven't a clue.
Last edited by Sic Pup on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Apox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 am

Thanks for the clarification!
Apox

Postby Igneouss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 am

Couple of general comments for newbies that might improve things:

1) The BRC map that is published (and printable) on the BM website is shaded to show areas that open camping and areas that are for 'placed' theme camps. Aim for the open camping areas. BUT if you see an open area in a shaded zone on the map - ask around. A theme camp might say "sure, you can camp with us" or you might learn that a theme camp is not going to show up. Etc. The BMorg want's available space to get used! Ask! Be friendly! Take your time and you will find good places.

2) RVs are a special case. Be sensitive to the fact that some people do not like RVs. Others don't care. I would suggest that if you are chatting with campers about a potential spot, that if you can offer your RV as a wind break, you might get a better reception. Better still if you can offer to be an anchor for shade tarps or a safe harbor during storms or white outs. etc.

3) The term 'land grab': It occurs when one or two people arrive and try to stake out a huge area to 'reserve' or 'grab' it for 'friends' that are arriving later. Sometimes it's legit. There are numerous 'unofficial' theme camps that try to get good 'open' real estate which then gets filled with a cool theme camp. Sadly, in other cases, people are simply trying to reserve a buffer or control who camps near them. A bit of diplomatic conversation will establish who you are dealing with if it matters. Placement folks an/or rangers are sensitive to these things and can help.

Bottom line. There is tons of room. About the worst case might be arriving on Wed night and having to camp out on Liminal Rd. Still, there will be room. Arriving earlier you will have a choice of locations.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby thnkfl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Print out a plan of the site and from the survival guide, note the prevailing wind direction. Choose a spot generally up wind and off to the side. That kept me out of most of the dust last year. Even when (Thursday?) the wind changed direction 180 degrees. Still, being off to the side meant relatively little dust blowing my way. Good luck!
thnkfl

Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping