Attachments

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Attachments

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 am

I'm sure everyone has noticed the new ability to upload an attachment. Though I have yet to use it, I think this is a great feature; but I am just wondering how that will effect storage on the hard drive. Will this be an option that is soon removed from the site? (I know that terabyte hard drives are very inexpensive, but thinking that the server they moved us on isn't a new one, what are the odds that there is enough to handle the image files people upload?)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Attachments

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

that's a good question.
I'd also wonder, perhaps there'll be some sort of deleting "off the back end" as it fills?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:15 am

ygmir wrote:that's a good question.
I'd also wonder, perhaps there'll be some sort of deleting "off the back end" as it fills?

I actually might not mind that if it were a time based deletion, say after one year; most posts are stale by then anyway. But knowing there was a time restriction, you could choose whether to attach the image or link to it from another source.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:25 am

Assuming that the admins followed their pattern of not changing the defaults, total space is about 50MB, and each attachment can be up to 256kB. I'm somewhat more concerned that there aren't any image dimension restrictions for the default settings. People have a tendency to upload absolutely huge images ("hay guys do you like the noise in my photo?") that cause all the paragraphs to stretch to a single line. The file size might mitigate that, but doesn't always.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Policy Discussion