which would you use for your camp shelter?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

which would you use for your camp shelter?

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Would you use a costco carport or one of these?
http://www.formandreform.com/wordpress/?page_id=2576
DesmondDoomsday

Re: which would you use for your camp shelter?

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 am

Wonder how the flat roof did with the rain we got last year? We had something similar our first few years, put sides on it, and it was an oven. Heavy too.

It should work, although local pick up in Oakland is a limiting factor.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 am

We use a similar pole and connector structure, except that our roof is peaked, which personally I think looks a lot better. Our main structure is 20' x 40' with two 10' x 10' areas attached off the rear back long side for more private lounge areas. Originally we used side tarps, but because of problems primarily with wind don't even bring them any longer.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 am

Oh that camp is a thing of beauty. Thanks for showing it.

I'll ask about the rain. I had not thought of that!

Yeah that guy recommended shade cloths over side tarps.
DesmondDoomsday

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 am

Shorten the legs on one side by 2 inches and the rain will run off.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 am

DesmondDoomsday wrote:Oh that camp is a thing of beauty. Thanks for showing it.

I'll ask about the rain. I had not thought of that!

Yeah that guy recommended shade cloths over side tarps.

Thanks. We serve root beer floats in that shade structure Monday through Friday from 1:00PM until 2:00PM. (or until they run out, so get there early!)
This year we'll be upping our participation and will be serving Bacon Quesadillas for breakfast, not sure the days yet; and each of the root beer service times will have some sort of activity. The schedule hasn't been exactly set, but one or two days, the guy that airbrushed the facade for the shade structure pictured above, will be doing body/face painting; one or two days we'll be playing music in the dome for dancing; etc.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am

I thought I should update you friendlies. I went with the friendly burner selling the "Black Rock Shade Kits". For one thing, I'm supporting his many awesome Burning Man projects and I've seen enough of his installations and heard from enough burners to feel good about it.

He said the shade structure doesn't shed the water but it has never been a problem. He says after the rain they just push the water off with a pole. And figjam I suggested your idea about raising one side, and he said the problem with that is it creates an air foil which partially defeats the design.
DesmondDoomsday

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Our shade structure angles 15' to the ground on the SSW side and provides a great windbreak and cozy chill space for inflatable furniture and storage. It is flat on top, but we do use poles to drain whatever water accumulates. In my estimation on the playa, your structure is 90% shade and 10% rain shelter, since that is about the chance of having rain on a daily basis.

Our structure is very much like the link shows. You can save $$$ by cutting your own poles and just buying the fittings, tarp and bungee balls from the dealer. It also enables you to customize it to fit other needs.

Just this past year, I've been able to provide a 15'x20' shade canopy at one location and a 15'x35' structure across town simultaneously! We still had enough for another for 20'x20' if needed. Put it all together and we have our 45'x60' shade for TTITD.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 am

this was our camp last year:

The car ports on the left had tents in them (except for me, I'm the dumbass in the tent with no shade next the Penske truck)

the dome is amazing though, I wish I had a better picture available to me right now. it's two stories, is probably about 400-500sq feet inside. It's about 80% shade cloth, with a single strip of heavy duty tarp running east to west so that it tracks the path of the sun and provides constant shade. the shade cloth lets the breeze in but kept most of the dust out. i think it was a constant 70 degrees in there both during the day and at night.
Last edited by Irreverent Moniker on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby DesmondDoomsday » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

Hah well I can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of us have been "the dumbass in the tent with no shade" before. Your campmates clearly had a lot of confidence in the carport with heavy walls! I'm already committed to my shade structure, however.
DesmondDoomsday

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 am

DesmondDoomsday wrote:Hah well I can't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of us have been "the dumbass in the tent with no shade" before. Your campmates clearly had a lot of confidence in the carport with heavy walls! I'm already committed to my shade structure, however.

the carports stood up really well to the wind, but I'll be damned if they didn't end up being stiflingly hot inside. If i was using one this year, I think I'd have to go with shade cloth walls just to let some air in.

As for my own shade, I think I'll be rocking a monkey hut over my tent this year
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Return to Shelter & Camping