NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 pm

OK I have a question...when you make a post, the smilies are to the right, just below that are the notification of BBCode is ON, etc. [flash] is OFF...how do I turn it on? I didn't see that option in the profile section. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 pm

jkisha wrote:OK I have a question...when you make a post, the smilies are to the right, just below that are the notification of BBCode is ON, etc. [flash] is OFF...how do I turn it on? I didn't see that option in the profile section. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.

'Edit Posting Defaults' under 'Board Preferences' in your profile. Mine were all reset to disabled too.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Yehaw, TX

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 pm

wahoo!! it let me back in!

now to find my socks
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
User avatar
EspressoDude
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: the first Vancouver

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
jkisha wrote:OK I have a question...when you make a post, the smilies are to the right, just below that are the notification of BBCode is ON, etc. [flash] is OFF...how do I turn it on? I didn't see that option in the profile section. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.

'Edit Posting Defaults' under 'Board Preferences' in your profile. Mine were all reset to disabled too.

There is an option to "display flash"' which I have set to yes. However when I'm making a new post like this one, at the right of the post it still says "[flash] is OFF".

All of the other notices are ON. I can see no other options for flash in the profile. :| :( :?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

jkisha wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
jkisha wrote:OK I have a question...when you make a post, the smilies are to the right, just below that are the notification of BBCode is ON, etc. [flash] is OFF...how do I turn it on? I didn't see that option in the profile section. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.

'Edit Posting Defaults' under 'Board Preferences' in your profile. Mine were all reset to disabled too.

There is an option to "display flash"' which I have set to yes. However when I'm making a new post like this one, at the right of the post it still says "[flash] is OFF".

All of the other notices are ON. I can see no other options for flash in the profile. :| :( :?

It shows my flash as off in a post too, but it's on in the profile. I got nothing.
Medic!!
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Yehaw, TX

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Bob wrote:Minuses --
- THREE shades of spoiled avocado? Are you KIDDING me?
- can no longer time my replies to get a white background


HA!

. . . I admit I liked that timing too, although I never consciously tried to get it.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Bob wrote:Pluses --
- faster
- even Search is faster
- nice Search sorting options
- nice to be able to block all the youtube embeds (via disabling Flash)
- nice organization of profile options, though maybe too much for new users

Minuses --
- THREE shades of spoiled avocado? Are you KIDDING me?
- can no longer time my replies to get a white background
- poor contrast, much harder on the eyes
- still with the insipid smilies
- 'Last post' on Index page doesn't show which thread

I generally agree with Bob, but I haven't tried the last two under pluses. Color scheme is awful and yes, it does seem to be hard on the eyes. Optional "skins" would be really nice.
And There's something else kinda annoying, I'm sure I'll remember what soon.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 pm

I want strikethrough back.
Please.
I do like that if I look at a thread a second time in the same session it skips all those I've already read. Does this mean that if I have to leave in the middle and log out that the unread threads will still be available as "new posts"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Strike-through was just an "S" tag, right?

[s]Michele Bachmann[/s]
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Bob wrote:Strike-through was just an "S" tag, right?

[s]Michele Bachmann[/s]

Yup. Of course I didn't think to test it. Apparently, it wouldn't have worked. So, I look like a fool for not testing, but I don't look like chicken little. I'll take what I can get.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Spanky, you blew it. You blew away and exceeded all of my expectations. Compared to the eplaya 2.0 fiasco, this was a great rollout. Nicely done. Kudos to you and the entire team who pulled this one off. I've looked for flaws....and things to critique....and I've found NOTHING to bitch about with the upgrade.

Seriously...you deserve recognition for your work and a case of PBR if that's what you drink! for this one!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Bob wrote:Strike-through was just an "S" tag, right?

[s]Michele Bachmann[/s]

Yup. Of course I didn't think to test it. Apparently, it wouldn't have worked. So, I look like a fool for not testing, but I don't look like chicken little. I'll take what I can get.

WOW that was surprising.
I was reading here faq.php?mode=bbcode that a moderator has to add additional BBCode functions manually for them to be available. Maybe they'll catch this and add some additional tags.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby geekster » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:07 am

Was there a "youtube" module on the old one that is missing from this version?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am

Disabling Flash in your profile should block embedded Youtube images but leave the text of the link, I believe.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 am

geekster wrote:Was there a "youtube" module on the old one that is missing from this version?

Yes. It needs to be added back.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby MisaBlue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 am

jkisha wrote:
geekster wrote:Was there a "youtube" module on the old one that is missing from this version?

Yes. It needs to be added back.


YES!!! And how do we do that?
I believe the ITs are not reading this, are they?

Do you think some of the admins would have the power to ask them if they could give us back "youtube"
AND(or) make the thing that after click on the link it would open in new window?!!

PLEASE
_______________________________________________________________________________
We please those who say it is impossible not to hinder those who are already doing it.
User avatar
MisaBlue
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 am

Maybe I'm wrong; somebody should please explain how that worked/works. I'm all in favor of sharing youtubes, but it would be nice to be able to be able to block them globally in the prefs. Bollixes my machine right up.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I'll mention the youtube mod thingy over in the pit (sometimes we get busy with real lives, too!!)... thanks!

bb
User avatar
Lassen Forge
Moderator
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:01 pm

So i see all my friends are GONE! having said that,

I just sent a PM and the time stamp tells me it was sent while the message resides in my OUTBOX rather than the SENTBOX. So I'm not sure it was sent at all.

It's all new and will take time to perfect. I understand the need for a new and improved server and will endeavor with everyone else to abide.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Trishntek wrote:So i see all my friends are GONE! having said that,

I just sent a PM and the time stamp tells me it was sent while the message resides in my OUTBOX rather than the SENTBOX. So I'm not sure it was sent at all.

It's all new and will take time to perfect. I understand the need for a new and improved server and will endeavor with everyone else to abide.

The old board did that too. It appears that mail is held in the outbox until the next send cycle, how ever long that interval is.

It should send in a bit.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

jkisha wrote:
Trishntek wrote:So i see all my friends are GONE! having said that,

I just sent a PM and the time stamp tells me it was sent while the message resides in my OUTBOX rather than the SENTBOX. So I'm not sure it was sent at all.

It's all new and will take time to perfect. I understand the need for a new and improved server and will endeavor with everyone else to abide.

The old board did that too. It appears that mail is held in the outbox until the next send cycle, how ever long that interval is.

It should send in a bit.


Actually unless something has changed it stays in the Outbox until it is opened by the recepient and then it is listed in the Sentbox. At least that's the way it works on 3 other phpBB boards I use.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Trishntek wrote:So i see all my friends are GONE! having said that,

I just sent a PM and the time stamp tells me it was sent while the message resides in my OUTBOX rather than the SENTBOX. So I'm not sure it was sent at all.

It's all new and will take time to perfect. I understand the need for a new and improved server and will endeavor with everyone else to abide.

The old board did that too. It appears that mail is held in the outbox until the next send cycle, how ever long that interval is.

It should send in a bit.


Actually unless something has changed it stays in the Outbox until it is opened by the recepient and then it is listed in the Sentbox. At least that's the way it works on 3 other phpBB boards I use.

Now that's interesting.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Well you can always play with yourself.... I mean play with it by PMing yourself and proving it either way.

BTW, this version has the ability to send PM's to multiple users. You can also BCC on it. Pretty cool feature.

On another board I was on a thread was started innocently about one users opinion on a movie, it had maybe a half dozen people on it. It was a VERY free-spirited board, more one liners than you can count, lots of snark, sarcasm and what have you. It was very popular. It was one of three boards vying for the same constituency. Not the biggest of the three, but the most cerebral by far. Anyway, the mods got trigger happy trying to enforce draconian rules (at least compared to what existed before hand), many of the brightest users took issue. Eventually from that one PM there were 26 users on a PM thread. In fact, one of the mods joined the resistance and fed us with all sorts of info. The admin came in one day and cleaned house, effectively banned 7 of us out of emotion rather that any crime other than voicing our opinions (vehemently I'll admit). Long and sordid story short, this group left to start our own private board and took all the wit out of that old board. Today it's a mere shadow of it's former self. Of course, 3 years later the private board isn't much to speak of not having new blood to feed it.

The point is you can effectively have sub-boards behind the scenes with the group PM feature.

The one caveat being if you're going to add new people you have to start a new pm with all the participants.

Oh, one other thing that came out of it was that mods were not able to read PMs they were not participants in, in fact, the only way admin could access them was to take the board down and look deep into the data base with external tools.

YMMV
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 am

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THAT THIS SYSTEM SUCKS AND THE OLD ADAGE IF IT AIN'T BROKE...
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 am

I sure miss being able to post Youtube, mostly cartoons.......*pouting*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Sail Man » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:02 pm

YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE!



We beg of thee!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby goathead » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Sail Man wrote:YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE!



We beg of thee!


GRRrRRRrRrrrRrRRRr

YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE!
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 pm

A feature I miss is the header "Burning Man" in the upper left corner no longer links the home page. That was handy to find information or links to pass on to someone asking questions. It currently links to ePlaya instead of the BM home page.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Trishntek wrote:A feature I miss is the header "Burning Man" in the upper left corner no longer links the home page. That was handy to find information or links to pass on to someone asking questions. It currently links to ePlaya instead of the BM home page.


Yes, I agree that there ought to be a quick link to take us back to the "Home" page, geez, isn't that standard everywhere?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Haven't you been paying attention to the red-headed step-child remarks? They don't want us to have that kind of access to their site.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TexasRick and 4 guests