Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby admin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 am

Hey gang:

Please use this thread to file bug reports. Please try to consider whether your bug is "totally obvious" before posting it here. For example...yes we know the User Control Panel is blue instead of playa-colored. It was too complicated to style quickly.

We definitely want feedback on features that might be missing that you relied on in the past, but before you submit, realize that things have moved around a bit, and what you're looking for might be there, but in a different place than you're used to. Definitely spend some time in the User Control Panel before telling us that Plonk is missing. (Hint: it's now called Friends & Foes)

So, just like on the playa, please use your eyes, your senses, your community resources (friends and neighbors) before calling a Ranger (posting here).

I cannot tell you the amount of effort that went into getting the boards into the condition they're in now, so I hope you guys really enjoy it. Take care, and I'll see you in Black Rock City!!

~Spanky
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 9:52 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby 1durphul » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 pm

So this isn't a bug so much as a "noticed this and you might want to change it."

The hyperlink color for visited links on the Board Index page is almost the same color as the background. You might want to change it to a darker orange/red instead of the light grey it is.

(I'm using Chrome on Mac OS X, although for this I doubt that makes a difference.)

EDIT: Actually I'm noticed the grey is everywhere and because of the nice new biege the grey text is almost fading into it.

EDIT2: I'm also noticed that the text doesn't really stand out against the background on odd posts. It also fades into it. That grey that is being used throughout the website might be problematic since it is not very dark.
User avatar
1durphul
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby 1durphul » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Edit percentages/details are missing on edited posts.
User avatar
1durphul
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby admin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Can you attach a screenshot? I'd be happy to take a look at it.

~Spanky
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 9:52 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby chris2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Here is something that I noticed that was missing:

When viewing the Board under "Last post" the "Topic" no longer show up. It shows the person who posted it but not the topic like it use to.
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
User avatar
chris2010
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, Florida
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I don't know if it's by design or not but I just edited a post I left about 24 hours ago (alluded s/b eluded), that combined with the missing edit tag could lead to some interesting hijinx from the unscrupulous.

Not that I care really, I'm all for a free for all (I think forum and subject headers are overkill, I like information overkill and don't care what order it bombards me)

Edit - I thought it might have something to do with it being the last post in a thread but I just opened a post from 10/23/10 in edit mode (but didnt edit it).
Last edited by Sic Pup on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:00 pm

It appears that large images don't automatically reduce in size to fit more readily into the post column. Here is an example on this page:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=37999&p=681868#p681868

Does it behave the same way for you?
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Clicking on a link brings you to the page in the same window, didn't it used to open in a new window?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Here's a question I had about turning flash on.
viewtopic.php?p=681955#p681955

Also, why can't YouTube videos not be embeded?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Clicking on a link brings you to the page in the same window, didn't it used to open in a new window?

Yes, it used to. I think that would be a good feature to implement here.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby hsdavis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:17 pm

What's up with the Google bot and the Yahoo bot always logged in here snooping around? Rather creepy!
The words "Burning Man" in the top left corner of the main page was always a link to the BM main website (http://www.burningman.com) and there was a stick figure of the Man in the very center that was a link (or refresh) to eplaya. Now there is no link to the main BM page.
Also, I often post YouTube videos for the community's listening and dancing pleasure. Not having that would be sorely missed.
It was mentioned before that the newest post is not listed on the right side. That was a pretty handy feature to see any new posts and jump right to it.

As far as annoying smilies---I love 'em! :D :D
hsdavis
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:33 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm

I want strike through back.
I have cross-posted this. Sorry about that. I'm not completely sure that posting it in the special thread in general discussion works.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby chris2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:31 pm

hsdavis wrote:...It was mentioned before that the newest post is not listed on the right side. That was a pretty handy feature to see any new posts and jump right to it...


I am hoping they can bring back that feature. It was very handy!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
User avatar
chris2010
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, Florida
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 pm

hsdavis wrote:What's up with the Google bot and the Yahoo bot always logged in here snooping around? Rather creepy!

I think that might be inevitable, with the way search engines work in this day and age. They might have been poking around without our knowledge, and now that they are tracked we get creeped out. (Crept out?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I want strike through back.
I have cross-posted this. Sorry about that. I'm not completely sure that posting it in the special thread in general discussion works.

Strike through back? It never was...or at least I could never find it...I always just used the BBCode tags
Code: Select all
[s]words to strike out here[/s]
I always thought you did that too.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
hsdavis wrote:What's up with the Google bot and the Yahoo bot always logged in here snooping around? Rather creepy!

I think that might be inevitable, with the way search engines work in this day and age. They might have been poking around without our knowledge, and now that they are tracked we get creeped out. (Crept out?)

Yup, they crawl blogs and bulletin boards pretty frequently. Want proof? Just do a Google search for posts from yesterday!
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm

chris2010 wrote:
hsdavis wrote:...It was mentioned before that the newest post is not listed on the right side. That was a pretty handy feature to see any new posts and jump right to it...


I am hoping they can bring back that feature. It was very handy!

It's still here, now it's in the links at the left, right at the top of the forums on the main page.

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 pm

jkisha wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:Clicking on a link brings you to the page in the same window, didn't it used to open in a new window?

Yes, it used to. I think that would be a good feature to implement here.


Yeah, I hate getting yanked around; it seems really rude.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby chris2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 pm

jkisha wrote:
chris2010 wrote:
hsdavis wrote:...It was mentioned before that the newest post is not listed on the right side. That was a pretty handy feature to see any new posts and jump right to it...


I am hoping they can bring back that feature. It was very handy!

It's still here, now it's in the links at the left, right at the top of the forums on the main page.

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics


I see that, but I liked it where it was before...
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
User avatar
chris2010
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Citrus Springs, Florida
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm

chris2010 wrote:
I see that, but I liked it where it was before...

Actually, since posting this, I went and marked all forums as read. Then when I logged on now, I clicked on "View unread posts" and that actually works the way we were used to the "View Posts Since Last Visit" or whatever it was called in the old forum. I don't mind where it is now that I know where to look, but it's hard to see as the colors of the font don't contrast much from the background.

And since I quoted the entire original post and tried to submit, I got this warning and had to delete some of the quotes. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I guess it will prevent long quote upon quote in a post.
"You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:Clicking on a link brings you to the page in the same window, didn't it used to open in a new window?

Yes, it used to. I think that would be a good feature to implement here.


Yeah, I hate getting yanked around; it seems really rude.


A workaround is > right click > Open in new tab (or window as you see fit)

The "View your posts" function seems to be confused, sometimes shows new posts in addition.

I'm not liking the "Online" banner that appears on a message when that user is online.

I'm going into stealth mode, there's entirely too much information out there as it is.
What's next, Sic Pup is logged on but went to take a leak?
The online users are at the bottom of the page, if I cared, I'd look there, I don't need to see it on every post whenever someone is online.

I have no idea what "Allow Word Censoring" means but I checked it "No" just on principle.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 am

Sic Pup wrote:I'm going into stealth mode, there's entirely too much information out there as it is.
What's next, Sic Pup is logged on but went to take a leak?
The online users are at the bottom of the page, if I cared, I'd look there, I don't need to see it on every post whenever someone is online.

I have no idea what "Allow Word Censoring" means but I checked it "No" just on principle.


I actually liked seeing the online status of people when I'm reading the board. "Presence" technology is the latest new thing in unified communication.

And I also checked no in the word censoring box. Though those that might be offended by the word FUCK or CUNT might find it helpful. Fortunately we don't have many with those genteel sensibilities logging on here.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 am

I have to say this again, especially after spending more time on the board.
The contrast thing between the fonts and the background is really becoming a problem, especially when reading the board for longer periods of time. So much so that it is starting to over-shadow all of the wonderful new improvements in speed, search, options, etc.

I look forward to posting just so that I can see black font on a white background! Not that I prefer that for the colors, but I also like the blue that peaks out in places.

Maybe having the option to just install the default out-of-the box theme for those of us that are finding the contrast a problem. Maybe BMORG could get a grant through the "Users with Disabilities Act".
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby 1durphul » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:22 pm

admin wrote:Can you attach a screenshot? I'd be happy to take a look at it.

~Spanky


Examples of grey on eplaya biege contrast:
Image
Odd:
Image
Even:
Image

Example of grey on white visited links contrast:
Image

Mac OS X Chrome (haven't checked other browsers)
User avatar
1durphul
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Ahem. Page design involves *features*, not *bugs*.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 pm

chris2010 wrote:Here is something that I noticed that was missing:

When viewing the Board under "Last post" the "Topic" no longer show up. It shows the person who posted it but not the topic like it use to.


Totally agree this should be fixed, but I'd guess somebody intentionally left the topic out in a misguided attempt to save space.

Mistake yes, *bug* no.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm

jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I want strike through back.
I have cross-posted this. Sorry about that. I'm not completely sure that posting it in the special thread in general discussion works.

Strike through back? It never was...or at least I could never find it...I always just used the BBCode tags
Code: Select all
[s]words to strike out here[/s]
I always thought you did that too.

There was a little [s] button, just next to the [youtube] one.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I am getting pms from a board member who cannot find the quote and reply buttons. I've advised talking to someone on the admin team directly (why admin? I must have been on autopilot, because it makes no sense) but I'm mentioning it here in case there have been other instances.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I want strike through back.
I have cross-posted this. Sorry about that. I'm not completely sure that posting it in the special thread in general discussion works.

Strike through back? It never was...or at least I could never find it...I always just used the BBCode tags
Code: Select all
[s]words to strike out here[/s]
I always thought you did that too.

There was a little [s] button, just next to the [youtube] one.

I never saw that button. I specifically remember looking at the code in one of your posts to learn how to do that. But I'm always looking for things that are hidden in plain sight.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Bug Reports for June 2011 Migration

Postby jella » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 pm

jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
hsdavis wrote:What's up with the Google bot and the Yahoo bot always logged in here snooping around? Rather creepy!

I think that might be inevitable, with the way search engines work in this day and age. They might have been poking around without our knowledge, and now that they are tracked we get creeped out. (Crept out?)

Yup, they crawl blogs and bulletin boards pretty frequently. Want proof? Just do a Google search for posts from yesterday!

Wanna be spooked google just your eplaya name :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Next

Return to Site Function

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests