Got new tent today

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Got new tent today

Postby thesandman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Just got a new kelty zodiac 4 person tent, I had to go up in size from my REI 2 person I don't know if it will last for years or not but hope it last 2 or 3 burns
thesandman

Postby MoonSplash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 am

For these tents that use just two poles, I'm wondering if you can strengthen them against the winds if you added pvc pipes and attached them to the original tent poles with zip ties? I'd rebar them close to where the original tent stakes go too. I've had two good tents fail out there against the winds, and I'm trying to think of how to help the poles stand up against those winds.
MoonSplash

Postby thesandman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 pm

This new Tent dose have 2main poles like the old one and the 3rd pole for the rain fly but it will be the 1st trip to the playa
thesandman

Postby geospyder » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Suggestion - make an exo-skeleton for your tent from 1/2 inch PVC. Stake the ends in the ground using 1/2 inch T-connectors. Use tie wraps to connect it to the actual tent poles. This will keep the tent from being blown away or collasping.

Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby MoonSplash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks, Geo! That's exactly what I was thinking I will do next time. I am not sure what t connectors are, but will ask at the big box hardware store. Do you know what kind of tents are in your photo?
MoonSplash

Postby thesandman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

I may do a duct tape rap around on the poles don't think it need it but may there big fiberglass poles
thesandman

Postby geospyder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

This is what I used at the top:

This is what I used at the end of each pipe. I was able to drive my Playa Staples throught the T:

Here is a picture of the Playa Staples:

I used one set of Playa Staples for the tent itself and one more for each of the PVC pipes. Eight of those babies and that tent does not move.

The Playa Staples can be found at http://ironmonkeys.org/Store/Playa+Staples/default.aspx

The larger tent was a Coleman. I'm not sure what the smaller one was. My wife sewed the rain flaps over the netting on the tents to prevent the dust from coming in. Needless to say these tents are strictly for Burning Man.
geospyder

Postby MoonSplash » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Geo, so you had 4 short pieces that fit individually into the top connector, not two long pieces that crisscrossed? Thanks.
MoonSplash

Postby geospyder » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

MoonSplash wrote:Geo, so you had 4 short pieces that fit individually into the top connector, not two long pieces that crisscrossed? Thanks.

Yep - four short pieces. I glue the connector to one just for convienence. The other three are slipped in and held by tension. The tee connectors are glued to the end of each piece. Caveat - I'm am no engineer but this set up has worked for me for the last couple years. My only problem has been transportation but luckily for me one of my campmates comes in a motor home so he can transport the poles on the floor of his motor home.
geospyder

Return to Shelter & Camping