Quick question about Headdresses

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Quick question about Headdresses

Postby imalilkitten » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

I have this beautiful Indian Headdress that I want to bring to wear probably at night and take pics during sun rise with. After that I will put it away but on the BM site it says dont bring anything with Feathers. So has anyone brought a headdress there before and was it a problem?

Thank you to all who apply
imalilkitten

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:43 am

The wind and dust are very rough on feathered items, making the feathers shred and fall to bits, creating a lot of tiny trash pieces (MOOP). Boas and cheap angel wings were especially bad. No one is going to notice the bits dropping in the dark, so you'd not be able to pick up after yourself if they don't hold up. That's why there is a "no feathers" rule.

Plus, other people will give you crap constantly while you wear the headdress. Not so much fun to explain "my feathers are special" over and over again.

Take your headdress and beat it against a wall as hard as you can. Do any feather pieces fall off? If so, it isn't for the playa. What? You don't want to beat it against the wall? Then you shouldn't bring it to the playa, bring nothing which would be ruined by hard use and a LOT of dust. You'll never get the dust out of the feathers.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 am

1. Don't make MOOP.
2. Don't get caught.
3. Post pictures.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 am

Gate might take away your feathers, or turn you away from the event if you don't allow them to be confiscated. Because the feathers will indeed shed and create work for someone else. (There are people who stay for weeks after the event returning the desert to normal, picking up tiny shreds of costuming and pulling out rebar.) I would save the headdress for a Regional burn in your area, somewhere with grass--or for a local Burn Decompression party.

Warbonnets were primarily worn on the Great Plains . . . so at least you're not missing the perfect opportunity to wear it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:31 am

Please leave it at home! Anything with feathers, sequins, beadings, coins (like belly dancing hip scarves) shouldn't be brought to Burning Man.

Feathers will rip and tear out, sequins will snag, beads will fall off and somebody will be stuck picking up after you.

That's a great two-part test, AntiM!
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby imalilkitten » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks I will leave it at home. I don't want anyone picking up after me and I am already looking at making me a nice hat (no feathers or beads)
imalilkitten

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Do consider two hats, a big shady cool one for day, and a warm cuddly one at night.

Beading, I hand sew my beads on one at a time. I CAN beat my beaded items against the wall!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:34 pm

My hat usually has my head in it when I beat it against the wall. (and it hasn't fallen off yet)
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:37 pm

If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased.
Savannah

Postby Minxy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Savannah wrote:If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased.

Ooh, I finally found a sig line! Score!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:30 pm

:lol:
Savannah

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 am

Savannah wrote:Gate might take away your feathers, or turn you away from the event if you don't allow them to be confiscated. Because the feathers will indeed shed and create work for someone else. (There are people who stay for weeks after the event returning the desert to normal, picking up tiny shreds of costuming and pulling out rebar.) I would save the headdress for a Regional burn in your area, somewhere with grass--or for a local Burn Decompression party.

Warbonnets were primarily worn on the Great Plains . . . so at least you're not missing the perfect opportunity to wear it.

To clarify...Gate will not take it away. We will simply tell you that it cannot come into the event, and we will not take custody of it for you.

At that point, you'll have a personal decision to make: That is...YOU destroy it in our burn barrel/dumpster or you take it off playa somewhere for safekeeping.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks. I found it hard to imagine that Gate had a series of lockers with tagged keys--or simply made out like be-feathered bandits at the end of the event, every Gateperson the proud owner of a new ostrich feather boa--but I didn't know for sure. All I knew is that she wasn't coming in with that headdress if you had anything to say about it. :)

What happens to fireworks, btw? Those can't go in the burn barrel.
Savannah

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
Savannah wrote:Gate might take away your feathers, or turn you away from the event if you don't allow them to be confiscated. Because the feathers will indeed shed and create work for someone else. (There are people who stay for weeks after the event returning the desert to normal, picking up tiny shreds of costuming and pulling out rebar.) I would save the headdress for a Regional burn in your area, somewhere with grass--or for a local Burn Decompression party.

To clarify...Gate will not take it away. We will simply tell you that it cannot come into the event, and we will not take custody of it for you.

At that point, you'll have a personal decision to make: That is...YOU destroy it in our burn barrel/dumpster or you take it off playa somewhere for safekeeping.

LoR

LoR, technically speaking...we cannot confiscate feathers. We can encourage people to burn them in our burn barrel though!

What we CAN confiscate:

Plants (living OR dead) DON'T BRING THEM! We don't want them.

Explosives

Firearms

MV's that were not registered pre-playa

Motorcycles that aren't someone's primary transpo to the event

Things NOT to bring (but we can't actually take)...ie we will ridicule you until you cry and will be shamed into either burning it, or turning around and taking it away from our beautiful playa in SHAME!

feathers!!!!

glass

glitter

un-shelled nuts

lots of fresh produce

styrafoam coolers (really people?? does ANYONE still use these???)

straw of hay bales

public swimming pools or large public showers

Anywho...hope that helps.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 am

I'm sneaking a public swimming pool into the event in my messenger bag, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Love,

Mindylook
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I know someone who has a rather large sequoia in his pants.....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Savannah wrote:I'm sneaking a public swimming pool into the event in my messenger bag, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Love,

Mindylook

Ha!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I bring glass wine glasses, glass beer mugs and glass martini glasses. Never had one break, and I assure you there is nothing like anise cold beer in a frozen mug on the playa. Not to mention how much better martinis taste in chilled glasses.

But we would never think of bringing glass windows...oh except for the glass truck windows.

Plus we bring a huge bag of unshelled pistachio nuts and have never left a shell behind.

I think anyone at gate that gave me a hard time about that might get a harder time right back.

Our camp has never gotten less than green, so actually I'm not all that concerned.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:05 am

I was bummed my first year, having strictly adhered to the rules, including NO GLASS. Then I got there and nobody else seemed to care and I could have brought beer. :cry:

(I'm gluten-free and GF beer only comes in bottles).
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
Lord Of Ruin wrote:

LoR

LoR, technically speaking...we cannot confiscate feathers. We can encourage people to burn them in our burn barrel though!

What we CAN confiscate:

Explosives

Firearms

Things NOT to bring (but we can't actually take)...ie we will ridicule you until you cry and will be shamed into either burning it, or turning around and taking it away from our beautiful playa in SHAME!

feathers!!!!

glass

glitter

un-shelled nuts

lots of fresh produce

straw of hay bales

Ahem...slight correction here: Gate does NOT have the power to confiscate these things. My earlier rule applies and stands. We can only limit your access. We can suggest ways for you to conform to the rules for access, but we do not confiscate.

I know of what I speak.

Cool?

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:
Lord Of Ruin wrote:

LoR

What we CAN confiscate:

Explosives

Firearms

feathers!!!!

glass

glitter

un-shelled nuts

lots of fresh produce

straw of hay bales

Ahem...slight correction here: Gate does NOT have the power to confiscate these things. My earlier rule applies and stands. We can only limit your access. We can suggest ways for you to conform to the rules for access, but we do not confiscate.

I know of what I speak.

Cool?

LoR

Cool, correction accepted, good sir.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Clothing & Playawear