Gel manicures on the playa?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Gel manicures on the playa?

Postby kiuney » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:08 pm

I wore nail polish to my first burn, six years ago. The playa + nail polish = something so gross that I didn't even wait until getting home to remove the polish. Every year since then, I just bite the bullet and cut my nails super short and forgo the polish. This year though, I discovered gel manicures and it seems like it might be a good solution for the playa. My nails would be super strong for building/tear-down and they would look pretty to boot. Has anyone ever done this? Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts appreciated. :D
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."
kiuney

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Two words: work gloves.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby kiuney » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 pm

I have work gloves...won't build or breakdown without them. The problem is that the playa just weakens my nails big time. So, even just during things during the week, they break and tear like crazy. I was hoping to avoid that this year and additionally not have to cut them down to the quick.
Deviant Playground
kiuney

Postby Jax Dee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:07 am

I have gone to Burning Man two years in a row with gel nails. They looked great and came through just fine. I had them done nice and fresh just a couple days before I went out and they still lasted me another 2 weeks after the burn. I do still keep them short though and not super long. Just the end on my fingertip basically. I'm sure that plays into them being as nice as they were.
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby kiuney » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 am

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good to know. :)
Deviant Playground
kiuney

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 am

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I know folks who don't bring work gloves and wonder why their hands get so trashed.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby kiuney » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 am

No worries, AntiM. I know it. :D If it were any way feasible, I'd probably wear my work gloves all week. But gloves + porta-potties... yeah, no. :lol:
Deviant Playground
kiuney

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 am

kiuney wrote:No worries, AntiM. I know it. :D If it were any way feasible, I'd probably wear my work gloves all week. But gloves + porta-potties... yeah, no. :lol:

I've been in a wrist brace on and off the last few months, I hear ya.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Return to Clothing & Playawear