Newb question: Ultimate backpack/bag? Fanny pack? Need input

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Newb question: Ultimate backpack/bag? Fanny pack? Need input

Postby Lucidvegas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 am

Hello. Almost out of questions......got a lot done already. But I got one that I find myself thinking about a lot.

What's playa proven to be nice and comfy to wear backpack/bag wise? I'm sure things change with outfits, and lengths of playa adventures ect.

Normal backpacks? How about messanger bags? I see people using em around town, I've never had one before.

Already got a decent Camel pack. Lot of people just prefer one of those?

I know having lots of pockets is the best, but what happens if the costume doesn't allow for that? Fanny packs? Where does one keep all there fun gifts and gadgets?

I'm kind of a natural gifter, and 'gadgateer'. I want to know what's nice to carry my fun things in while I'm out and about, and where it will be comfy and out of my way as possible.

I just like hearing opinions. I'm self reliant, just also being prepared :)

thanks
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:02 am

Jesus fuck, grow up. Nobody cares.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 am

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:01 am

Sham

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 am

An old bag.

BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:04 am

I don't like backpacks. I got one for 2009 and HATED it by the end of the week.

I hated the water bladder system.

Other people love their backpacks.

It just depends on what you like, need, etc.

If I took a backpack again, I would sew something soft on the shoulder straps.

For regionals, I use a regular messenger bag or my belt. The belt being what I use at BM too, now. I made it myself to fit my personal needs.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Leo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 am

Backpacks are so passe, you need to carry a briefcase. Not an ordinary briefcase but a black leather briefcase. Make sure your outfit is coordinated with your briefcase. A white shirt, red tie, black Utilikilt and a black pair of Stacey Adams shoes would go nicely with the briefcase. Remember, it's not about comfort, it's about looking sharp and making a fashion statement on the playa.
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 am

mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:Image

Funny, since I camp in that (an EZ Up) the rest of the year at other burns/events, so that is me. Minus the awful uniform.
C.f.M.

Re: Newb question: Ultimate backpack/bag? Fanny pack? Need i

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am

Lucidvegas wrote:Hello. Almost out of questions......got a lot done already. But I got one that I find myself thinking about a lot.

What's playa proven to be nice and comfy to wear backpack/bag wise? I'm sure things change with outfits, and lengths of playa adventures ect.

Normal backpacks? How about messanger bags? I see people using em around town, I've never had one before.

Already got a decent Camel pack. Lot of people just prefer one of those?

I know having lots of pockets is the best, but what happens if the costume doesn't allow for that? Fanny packs? Where does one keep all there fun gifts and gadgets?

I'm kind of a natural gifter, and 'gadgateer'. I want to know what's nice to carry my fun things in while I'm out and about, and where it will be comfy and out of my way as possible.

I just like hearing opinions. I'm self reliant, just also being prepared :)

thanks

It totally depends on you!!!!

I hate messenger bags because they make me feel lop sided. And walking miles a day, I like to keep my center of gravity.... Centered. My best friend, caries his man purse everywhere! He went as far as to have one custom built through some website.

I have always liked having a tool belt for tools.
Check out your local army surplus. They have those green belts with the 3 black vertical holes every 4" or something. They will also have a ton of different pouches and attachments that fit right into those holes. custom make your own utility belt. I have not been able to find a way to carry enough water on one of the belts.

The bag I use is one of those 1 strap triangle bag deals. Sorta like a messenger bag but goes on your back not at your hip. I've added a camel pack bladder. BEST THING I EVER DID! I've added some el wire. What I like about the triangle bag, is that I can swing it around from my back to my front, just like a rifle. Then allows me to to get into the pockets with out having to take it off.

Vests with lots of pockets, are another option.

As for my backpack not 'matching' my outfit. O well. I'd rather have all my shit and have a non coordinating backpack then be missing some vital *thing*, and look good. But, I typically have 3-6 beers or a bottle of champagne in my backpack at all times too.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:20 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Funny, since I camp in that (an EZ Up) the rest of the year at other burns/events, so that is me. Minus the awful uniform.

Haha, I didn't even realize that was an EZ up but now that I think of it, you could haul one around the playa and have shade wherever you go! :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am

Bob

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 am

Bob wrote:Image

Bob, That dress is so slimming on you!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 am

Ooh! Ooh! One of those little luggages with wheels so you can twist your body around pulling it! I love those!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:38 am

a bottle of champagne in my backpack at all times

I am walking around with you!

You can strap on a one-strap/messenger bag like a backpack, but it's not always the most comfortable.
C.f.M.

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Ooh! Ooh! One of those little luggages with wheels so you can twist your body around pulling it! I love those!

LOL, I can see ygmir or FoxFur beefing one up with big rubber tires for 'off road' use!

C.F.M. wrote:a bottle of champagne in my backpack at all times

I am walking around with you!

You can strap on a one-strap/messenger bag like a backpack, but it's not always the most comfortable.

I said we rotate between champagne and beer and liquor. SO if you find me don't count on champagne!

I don't like the messenger bags, they flop around too much.
Mine is very similar to this, just all black. And has green el wire trim.
illy dilly

Postby Generic Anonymity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 am

I'm gonna be carrying one of these, as a replacement for my old utility belt (which was a big belt covered in carabiners.)
http://www.happycow.com.au/
I'd been looking for a revamp on the fanny pack, and this looks like it fits the bill.
My messenger in disguise
Makes up for such short goodbyes
You can't come home again
Each time it's different
And the yards around your feet
Fall away while you're asleep
Generic Anonymity

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am

Which one are you going for?
There are a lot of different models.
illy dilly

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am

Whatever bag I happen to be using, it always ends up on the deck of the bike rather than my person.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am

Belts are pretty hip right now and easily found on Etsy. I got mine from Blue Moon

http://www.etsy.com/shop/bluemoonkatherine

And I LOVE it.

I balked at the cost, but the damn thing is beyond handy, looks smart - I wear it the rest of the year.
C.f.M.

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:37 am

I've found that a lot of "messenger bags" are not actually intended for bike riders at all (good ones lay close to the body & close securely at important areas). Sometimes it's just a mail bag with a long strap, & super annoying on a bicycle. And while they look good, there's also the aforementioned issue of balance over long wear. So I like a backpack for day when I ride, & a bag with a long strap for night. This year I might wear a utility belt for more than just work--I might customize one so I can whip a camera in & out of it quickly. I don't like my camera swinging around my neck OR buried in a backpack.

Tips for newbs:

If you wear a backpack a lot with a tank top (or less), backpack straps can chafe, especially by the weekend. A tiny bit of dust gets under the straps and the effect is slow and cumulative. Army bags (canvas straps) in particular. Have soft straps if you can, or consider wrapping them in something soft, or at least tend to your under-strap skin every night with a liberal lemon/vinegar patdown, let dry, follow with skin cream.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 am

Savannah wrote: tend to your under-strap skin every night with a liberal lemon/vinegar patdown, let dry, follow with skin cream.

Under-strap skin! LOL!

"O dude, I got chaffeg in my under-strap skin"
Something about it just sounds dirty or gross.

But I totally know what you're talking about!
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Show me your under-strap!

. . . I really did try to think of a better phrase for it. But there wasn't anything more efficient. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm

If there's anything that deserves a sticky thread, it's chafing madness.

Bob

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Savannah wrote:Show me your under-strap!

Only if you show me yours first!

Under-strap treatment: Brought to you by HebbeJebbe Healers!
illy dilly

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I generally bring a few different bags. I Ranger and work Gate, so for each of those I have dedicated "go" bags.

For Gate, I generally wear a belt/or vest (need something to hang a radio on) and then carry along a small black backpack that I've de-commercialized. In there I have bottles of water, snack, a clothing layer, etc. I purposely sought out a fairly small packpack for this...it's not a "camelbak" bag at all.

For Rangering, I've moved to one of the Maxpedition Versapaks. These things are friggin awesome, and have lots of ability to customize and personalize them with schwag so they don't resemble the original. Very comfy and functional in all respects.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote: tend to your under-strap skin every night with a liberal lemon/vinegar patdown, let dry, follow with skin cream.

Under-strap skin! LOL!

"O dude, I got chaffeg in my under-strap skin"
Something about it just sounds dirty or gross.

But I totally know what you're talking about!

I was absolutely rubbed raw on my shoulders by the end of the week. It was miserable. When I got it out last summer to put some fur on it, I could see where the fur needed to go from the dried blood.

That's when I decided to make my own belt, with pockets for just what I needed.

Some people like holsters like
http://playabound.wordpress.com/2011/01 ... /#comments
C.f.M.

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Maxpedition Versapaks. These things are friggin awesome,

Yeah those look pretty awesome!
[url]Check this one out http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Mon ... -12p11.htm[/url]

I like to have the weight centered with my back. But for $130 bucks, I'd have to try it on before buying it.

C.F.M that holster kicks ass!
illy dilly

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

I dig this one

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TRIADâ„¢-ADMIN-POUCH-6p479.htm

But one of the reasons I decided to make my own is the material used, canvas and such, is thicker and heavier than I really needed. One of my goals was for it to be as light as possible - the only weight I really carry is my water.
C.f.M.

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Was it the belt pack deally? the link was a little corrupt.

I hear ya on the weight issue. A back pack that starts off light is nice, cause then its not as heavy once you fill it with shit.
Though, I've found that I have a tendency to destroy backpacks. I'm real bad about setting them down places before I look. Throwing them in the corner. Waking up and finding it stuck underneath something.
And I've also found that if keep the weight high and tight on my back between my shoulders, its less noticeable.
I've never really worn a utility belt that wasn't full of tools. And even full of tools, having the weight on your hips really doesn't pose a problem, either. Though, I also spend more time than I should trying to balance the weight between the left and right side.

The self made utili-belt is way more stylen then a nylon backpack.
illy dilly

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks