How hard do you party?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Party hardy?

Always.
66%
I'm too old and snarky for "partying".
34%

Total votes : 59

How hard do you party?

Postby StickyChron » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:54 pm

I would say my party skills are pretty decent, I take good care of my body for the most part. I'm just worried about not really getting sleep/eating from partying too hard, and the possible repercussions of that mixed with extreme heat.

With lots of Xanax before bed, ear plugs, and a cool place to sleep I should be okay but what are some other tips besides alcohol to get to sleep soundly and stay asleep into the daytime?

How hard do you plan to party, and whats the longest you've stayed awake on the playa?

I like making polls, so I'm gonna make this one. :?: :D
StickyChron

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 pm

It's all about pace. Don't let yourself get so shit-faced you become dependent. Make up your mind to drink as much or more water and electrolytes as alcohol. Listen to your body and when it says, "ENOUGH!" lay down and sleep until you wake up and just DO IT!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby StickyChron » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 pm

I don't plan to drink alcohol that week, my stomach can't handle it at all. I plan to bring the rage in different "forms" so to speak, avoiding alcoholic beverages at all costs as to not have to deal with extreme Die Die/vomiting on playa.

I think I read in another thread that you might possibly be bringing cannabis infused absinthe, I would have to break my rule for that if given the chance.
StickyChron

Postby BaconHand » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Experiencing both perspectives is a major component of my burn. Some people go really big the whole time, some are sober the whole time. I like to think I'm in the middle.

Depending on what I'm eating, I usually go one day on, one/two days off. For value alone this important (I don't care much for the double-rule). Also, who wants to be unable to get there on the weekend? We're very fortunate to have a car to cruise around on. So, on my off nights I usually drive to make sure the on folks are safe, warm, and get to the art/parties they want to see.

Experienced pilots know that it's better to force yourself to eat something than just space it off. It's better in both the short-term and week-term. I always carry snacks in my pack when cruising around having adventures.

I didn't answer your poll because neither option works for me.
BurningMan 2011 honorarium: http://www.s-conductor.com / http://kck.st/hiCSRf
We need your help to make it happen. Please visit the website for more information.
BaconHand

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Everything....in moderation. (At my age, there's no other way!)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

With lots of Xanax before bed, ear plugs, and a cool place to sleep I should be okay but what are some other tips besides alcohol to get to sleep soundly and stay asleep into the daytime?

The most important realization is that it's possible to dance and indulge at any time of day or night on the playa, but the heat will awaken you at about 8:00/8:30am on the average day, if you're in a tent. So if you require 6 hours of sleep & use a tent, dance all afternoon (there's something very festive about a champagne dance party in the afternoon sidelight), roam all evening, do whatever you want, drink some water and sleep at 2am or earlier the first night . . . 'til you know how you do. And sleep on your side. :D (Careful about Xanax + booze . . . I assume you know its f/x on you already, but it intensifies alcohol).

If you've a well-shaded or swamp-cooler enhanced sleep space, you can sometimes buy more time, or you're in an RV, the world may be your oyster--hopefully you're not running the generator so constantly that your neighbors get crabby. (Sharing the air conditioning/blended margaritas with them helps.) If you are the type who can nap anywhere, that's good, too. Taking a cot, hammock or recliner from the tent to the shade can work.

But the sun and the heat are (darn near) constants, around which the rest of your variables will orbit. So based on the constricts of your setup, don't be foolish if you require a certain amount of sleep to maintain sanity.

A domed sleeping mask is nice to add to the silicone earplugs. If you can't afford a mask, a clean dark sock works too. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 am

StickyChron, I went into my first year with the same feelings as you. Lay off the drinks and partake other ways. So, I indulged every night. I was lucky that I had prepared early before the burn and didn't get stuck with the 'double it for each extra day' rule.
What I did realize on the drive home, is that my brain chemistry was so fucked up, I didn't remember as much as I would have liked. A big mistake.

So now, I'll indulge maybe 2 or 3 nights. And just enjoy a few cold beers during the day, a couple mixed drinks at night, the rest of the time.

If your stomach is a uneasy as you say, be very very very careful taking drinks from bars. Often they are no more than koolaid and everclear. There are some serious gut rotters out there, and there are some top shelf make you cream your shorts camps too!

All in moderation!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am

Last year, from the time I awoke on Sunday to make the drive up there, to the time I went to bed Tuesday...it was about 45 hours without sleep. After that I never looked at a clock again. I know I went and got sleep around 3-4 am every morning, but I have no idea what time I woke up.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby Minxy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am

Alcohol doesn't do me very well out there. I love a cold beer or two throughout the day or a Bloody Mary in the morning, but I try to not drink much out there. Maybe one night out of the week I'll get tipsy/drunk.

If I want to be festive and have something sparkly I use mineral water (or soda water) and juice and some ice. It's fun and yummy but not draining on my body's resources.

Drinking just doesn't feel good in my body anymore. Too many years of overindulgence plus all the factors of the playa, it's just too much. I like to be functional as much as possible!
Minxy

Postby Dust Becomes You » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:53 am

Everyone has their own pace and their own body chemistry....I'm good for a couple light beers during the day and a couple of cocktails at night. That coupled with showing up to the playa in good physical/mental condition, eating well, exercising and sleeping 6 hours a day, I can go the whole week.

My playa buddy who I have camped with every year since 2000 wakes, bakes, and brushes his teeth with coronas. At some magic hour (n) he switches to Sierra Nevadas. Well the bell strikes (n + x) its shots. He makes it all week and can carry on an engaging conversation, if I tried to keep that pace I'd be mushbrained after day 2.

Daytime sleeping is about disengaging from the distractions. Its really tough and I think that I should push it a little more out there. A cup of coffee, some vitamins and hydration powers me thru. But sometimes that daytime solitude is so welcome, its a mental thing to tell myself to shut down. Knowing that the camp conversations and the sharing of experiences will be there when I wake up.

What I find is that if I do daytime slumber, I wake up so dehydrated....
Dust Becomes You

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

I slept through the car arson in front of Death Carp Cowboys, including the fire response.

My secret? Folding chair with a high back, a snuggie, and a warm toque.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 pm

jkisha wrote:Everything....in moderation. (At my age, there's no other way!)

Honestly JK if they don't learn moderation, they will never live to be our age... :wink:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Gusthefuss » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 pm

I have so many things I want to say on this topic but dont want to sound preachy. Last year was my first and I felt I missed out by getting so drained I missed my 3rd night out of 4 nights. I did way to many substances and drank non stop. I also dont remember alot of good times people told me I had.
First off the camp I joined had said there was a meal plan but they never had any sort of "plan". Nor was the food even edible. You really need to replenish your energy levels with good solid food. Power bars are not food. You need a little bbq while your out there. Smart people eat fruit! If someone offers you an apple or banana TAKE IT!
I spent a day in my noisey cubevan which also happend to have other peoples stuff in it so they were coming in every hour and I couldnt sleep. And it was bright and just a big noise box. I was miserable and cranky to the max.
Take a day off and get straight and volunteer!
The biggest burn is that while I was convulsing in the cubevan some of the really hot pretty girls I had met came to my camp looking for me but I was useless! BUUURRRRRNNNNN!
GUS TRAV
Gusthefuss

Postby dustforlife » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Being well into my 40's now, I am committed to NOT going overboard this year. I have every time I have gone and it just takes so much out of you. Nothing like being hangover and no wear to rest with a tent that is an oven during the day. My boyfriend does not know the meaning of moderation and goes all out when we go. What sucks about that is I end up babysitting him too...he has been so f*ed up that he couldn't ride his bike and I have get him home. I have asked him that this year we do follow some partying "plan" so we can really enjoy the experience and not miss out on seeing and remembering so much. Partying is fun and can enhance certain aspects, but BM is so much more than just that.
dustforlife

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Offering some Youtube wisdom.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0[/youtube]

It's perfectly reasonable and valid etc to plan things out, pace yourself and know how much potion you can consume. Just like walking the playa, you never go out further than half of what you can walk, since you also have to walk back. I dunno where that came from, but hey.
And keep a few hangover recovery kits on hand just in case.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby StickyChron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Damn, I wasn't expecting NEARLY this many good responses, thanks everyone!

Like I said though, I don't plan on really drinking ANY booze. Chemicals work out much better for me generally and I should be able to remember most of my experiences. Plus the thought of having to wait in line for a porta potty with explosive die die is horrifying. I get really panicky when I have to go and can't. :lol:

I was able to buy an awesome 5th wheel from a family friend, so I will have that huge advantage for sleeping into the daytime. I decided right when I bought my loud ass generator, that I'm going to have to offer nap sessions in there to my neighbors. Thanks to Figjam, my troop and I have already built one working swamp cooler design for the trailer, and I'm working on another for our hexalounge area and it should be done in a few days.

Anyone personally ever started the night out in one spot coherent, and woken up in the deep playa or something the next day? I fear that would be me, if I partook in da booze.
StickyChron

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Good plan, StickyChron. The burn can be so fun, so pretty, so interesting, so stimulating, that overindulgence is (or can be) weirdly backwards.

And yes, I've heard of more than one instance of people spotting a speck on the horizon and it turns out to be an unconscious person in deep playa, getting an astonishing sunburn. So it does happen.

Good luck with your bf's partying plan, dustforlife. I hope he takes your concerns seriously. You're not a babysitter.
Savannah

Postby Gusthefuss » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Oh ya mental health!!! I forgot about that. Last year I got some 5-htp and L-tyrosine pills. I was told they helps with depression. And then what liver doesnt like a little Milk thistle. I had a friend that lived in Ireland where everyone drinks like a fish and she said they all took Milk Thistle every day. If you cant trust the Irish then who can you trust your liver to?
GUS TRAV
Gusthefuss

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Milk thistle has saved my friend's life, she has been told she should have been dead eight years ago. Can't afford a transplant, they won't even put her on the list.

MyLarry had inflammation of the liver from hemochromatosis, milk thistle cured it in a year.

I take powdered ginger for inflammation. Good stuff.

I don't party much, any substance, because I no longer bounce back. Sad, sad, sad. Herbal baked goods simply make me go to sleep.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

No drinking in the morning. Ever. Maybe beer around three. Then before I go out, A shot of whiskey. Or two. maybe three. The playa takes care of the rest of my high. No other recreationals. Sleep at 4am till 9am. Small laydown at 2 for an hour. Eating well. Light dinner. And I always do a hard crash on Thursday, as in to bed by 10pm. I do all right.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:35 pm

AntiM wrote:Milk thistle has saved my friend's life, she has been told she should have been dead eight years ago. Can't afford a transplant, they won't even put her on the list.

MyLarry had inflammation of the liver from hemochromatosis, milk thistle cured it in a year.

I'd never heard of Milk Thistle tell now. Thanks AntiM! Wondered what it is so I looked into it a bit. From what I was reading taking some everyday improves liver function.
My brother got out of the pin with Hep-c, and a liver thats pretty much useless. Being a repeat felon, he can't really afford health care. I'll buy him a couple bottles and see what happens.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby lucky.bastard » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

my best friend "Bettle" when we were younger lads would refuse to go to sleep so we named a disease after him called ""beetle-itious" : the fear that if you fall asleep the coolest thing to ever happen will happen, and you will have missed it...,

this is my fear....
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm

illy dilly wrote:
AntiM wrote:Milk thistle has saved my friend's life, she has been told she should have been dead eight years ago. Can't afford a transplant, they won't even put her on the list.

I'd never heard of Milk Thistle tell now. Thanks AntiM! Wondered what it is so I looked into it a bit. From what I was reading taking some everyday improves liver function.
My brother got out of the pin with Hep-c, and a liver thats pretty much useless. Being a repeat felon, he can't really afford health care. I'll buy him a couple bottles and see what happens.

It takes time to work, so be patient. I found it cheapest on the evil Amazon, with free super saver shipping.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby delinquent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:14 am

So many stories of people over-indulging, and so many warnings of moderation. If anyone is afraid of indulging in a little bit too much of something... Let me know. I'm sure I can lighten the load ;).

Seriously though... I may never attend another burning man after this one, so I intend to make the most of it. Lots of rest, a normal eating/sleeping routine, plenty of water... and one or two days of absolutely mammoth debaunchery. Anyway.

StickyChron wrote:what are some other tips besides alcohol to get to sleep soundly and stay asleep into the daytime?

Why would you want to sleep into the daytime? It's likely to be horribly uncomfortable, and besides, don't you want to see all the wonderful people strutting around?

StickyChron wrote:With lots of Xanax before bed, ear plugs, and a cool place to sleep...

a warm body next to you might help.
delinquent

Postby Minxy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 am

I like to sleep in the daytime, if possible, because it's easier to do more riding at night in the coolness and dark. Also because all the pretty lights are mesmerizing, there is tons of fire (dancing, flamethrowers, fire art structures) and lots of action occurring.

Doesn't mean I want to miss ALL the day, but if I can get some of my sleep out of the way during the day I can sleep through the heat and not have to deal with it as much and get the rest accomplished so I'm energized to ride when I have more stamina...at night!
Minxy

Postby Parasitoid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 am

Eat well. Sleep well. Have fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEt8XL5kVho[/youtube]
Parasitoid

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 am

StickyChron wrote:Damn, I wasn't expecting NEARLY this many good responses, thanks everyone!

Like I said though, I don't plan on really drinking ANY booze. Chemicals work out much better for me generally and I should be able to remember most of my experiences. Plus the thought of having to wait in line for a porta potty with explosive die die is horrifying. I get really panicky when I have to go and can't. :lol:

Got it. But remember, this thread is a reference source for countless burners. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 am

I wish I could sleep in the daytime! It's just not possible for me. Lord knows I've tried. I imagine I might be able to in an air-conditioned RV without people coming and going, but . . . that's just not happening. For so many reasons. :lol:

Luckily--to me--the best and most interesting stuff seems to happen during the day.
Savannah

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:14 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 pm

On the Moh's Party Hardness Scale, I party barely above "talc."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy