Most fantastic theme idea EVER!

Most fantastic theme idea EVER!

Postby bm_cricket » Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Does anyone else feel luke-warm about this theme? At least for the American Dream I felt extremely disconnected. Rites of Passage don't make me feel strongly about anything.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah, it's not doing much for me. It's nice to meet someone else in the un-meh-verse.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Rites of Passage makes me think of a really big colon for some twisted reason.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Trishntek » Wed May 25, 2011 11:40 pm

ReallY OED??? Vagina was my first thought.

But then really now,,,, haven't you always longed to be a Card-Carrying Cocksucker? Plus the "RITE" can get you a wee bit shitfaced!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby C187 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 pm

It just makes me think about spiking the kool-aid. Death is a rite, after all.
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby TomServo » Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Floating World part II!

actually, I don't really care about the themes..but "Rites of Passage" may mean alot to first time burners.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby bm_cricket » Sat May 28, 2011 11:42 am

TomServo wrote:"Rites of Passage" may mean alot to first time burners.

I hadn't really considered that. I guess my first year did influence me a lot but for me it wasn't a right of passage. It wasn't like it entered me into the secret Order Of The Burnerhood. Burners seem to make it seem that way. I've even been a greeter for the last few years and I love my little Burner devirginizing routine but it still isn't some big "rite."

Hmm...
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby Savannah » Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 pm

actually, I don't really care about the themes..but "Rites of Passage" may mean alot to first time burners.

Agreed. I have noticed that the Rites of Passage theme has been very meaningful to a lot of virgins on this board, resonating far more with virgins than any other theme of the past several years. It is particularly viewed as an omen by some who have considered going for years and always found obstacles. (People might find omens in any number of places, but this one is irresistible.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby delle » Sat May 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Savannah wrote:

Agreed. I have noticed that the Rites of Passage theme has been very meaningful to a lot of virgins on this board, resonating far more with virgins than any other theme of the past several years. It is particularly viewed as an omen by some who have considered going for years and always found obstacles. (People might find omens in any number of places, but this one is irresistible.)

Yep.

Most definitely.

:wink:
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby tamarakay » Sat May 28, 2011 7:31 pm

It struck a nerve with me, but then I have REALLY been struggling with the empty nest, grandma, golden years thing. I'm not ready to not be here. You know? Plus, i am curious to see art that deals with the theme. From what i've been reading people are really stuck on birth, sex, and death. I'm hoping that there are some other interesting takes on it all.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby bm_cricket » Sat May 28, 2011 9:21 pm

tamarakay wrote:It struck a nerve with me, but then I have REALLY been struggling with the empty nest, grandma, golden years thing. I'm not ready to not be here. You know? Plus, i am curious to see art that deals with the theme. From what i've been reading people are really stuck on birth, sex, and death. I'm hoping that there are some other interesting takes on it all.

I guess this will be one of those years that makes me think "Oh, I never thought of it that way." That is a sign of a good burn.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby Trishntek » Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Savannah wrote:

Savannah, I really look forward to meeting you. Your insights and understandings are truly inspirational.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Savannah » Sun May 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sham » Sun May 29, 2011 5:05 pm

An interesting theme was Evolution. I really got a kick out of the protesters picketing in Gerlach. What an awesome start to the week.
Most of the themes are portrayed fairly loosely, so no need to stress about this theme.
Sham

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:26 pm

I have always tried to do a little towards the theme, be it a couple of costumes, decoration of the art car or whatever. Gives my brain a bit of a creative direction. I try to make each year unique. Some just haven't worked for me (Green Man, American Dream, yikes). Evolution was cool, Metropolis was cool. Not thrilled with Rite Of Passage but our group has some ideas.

But truly, the birgins are the ones most intrigued by the themes. I mean, how far out can you take Rite Of Passage? In the 1800's English gentlemen took their sons to Africa to kill big game as a Rite of Passage. Birth, sex, death, these are the easy ones.

Is a Rite of Passage getting your first Senior Discount? hahahahaha
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby bm_cricket » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:Is a Rite of Passage getting your first Senior Discount? hahahahaha

I'm not quite there yet... I'm still getting used to being called Sir from time to time and and not being asked for identification when I buy beer.

But I guess when I close my eyes I want to see the playa this summer. The last few years I could do that pretty well... Maybe that's more an indication of a predictable theme?
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 am

There should be plenty of theme-related rides to go on this year. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

I like the theme....

Postby yurtgirl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:54 pm

But it's vague enough that you can make it mean whatever you want...
For me, it's my first burn. It's a transition from Birgen to burner.
It's a celebration of 10 yrs with my partner. I was a short timer with former relationships so I feel now I am capable and deserving of long lasting love. And I will hit the mid century mark of my time on this grand planet.
The theme rocks with my rhythm. Can't wait to share it with y'all.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 pm

It's a fucking toga party in the desert

Prepare for your first beer-bong... Playa style.

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby rgk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm

nuh uh.... NUH UH!!!!

oneeyeddick wrote:It's a fucking toga party in the desert

Prepare for your first beer-bong... Playa style.

rgk

Re:

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

rgk wrote:nuh uh.... NUH UH!!!!

Yep. Find OED and you find the beer bong or epicness.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: Most fantastic theme idea EVER!

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm planning on grabbing people and making them sign every page of a two inch stack of mortgage paperwork.

If THAT'S not a rite of passage, nothing is.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby AngelDanger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

For a reason unknown to me, I am really enjoying this thread. Maybe because I haven't felt interested in a theme since my first year, '04, which was Heaven and Earth I think? Maybe just The Heavens or something. I couldn't get over how the streets were named after planets, after that street names have seemed so disorganized and hard to remember :lol:

I got American Dream and Metropolis in succession, and while they were rad themes in their own way I just kinda stopped paying attention. This year would have probably not resonated with me so much if last year's burn and ensuing two months hadn't been my worst year yet, (it was my 4th) and a completely life changing experience (in the very painful kind of way). I got broken down to my core and have rebuilt myself and my life better, stronger, more honest and awesomer then ever before in the past 8 or so months. I also have a history of only going every other year ('04 '06 '08 '10) but when I saw the rites of passage theme it kinda stuck in my head with it being such an epic year for me, a little nudge that really got me going in a path to go this year (an odd number year! ack!)

I don't know if it will be a good year, but now I know that I don't know, which is a warm little feeling. Go go 2011! 8)
AngelDanger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am

Vault of Heaven
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AngelDanger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Tanks!
AngelDanger

Postby elKay » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I do love this theme.

We will be dropping our youngest child off for her first year at college, driving directly from Minneapolis to BRC. A rite of passage into our empty nest- we are ready- I can not imagine a more perfect theme.
elKay

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Shepherd9 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 am

The Theme resonates with me at this point in my life. In the last year and a half I quit my job, went traveling for 7 months and returned to start my own small business. My life seems very transitional and the theme has given me a frame under which to think of my life and where I am going. This will be my fourth burn, starting with American Dream. Looking forward to going home.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.
Shepherd9

Postby shamansjourney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:46 am

Speaking as a Virgin - and also with some experience in creating ritual passages for people over the course of the past 10 years, - the RITE OF PASSAGE theme really does resonate for me. quite profoundly actually. It is kind of interesting to see some (not all) veteran burners sort of so-so about it. Without the burden of experience on the Playa before, here is what i see and offer objectively looking in from the outside.

First - no matter what the theme of any event is, when a theme is presented, it becomes an intention and a consciousness cast over the event. For some it is very relevant and meaningful and for others it may pass over them completely and unconsciously. The power of the theme is related to the consciousness that you bring to it for yourself. Believe it is powerful and it is. Dismiss it - and it may pass without notice....or subconsciously sneak in and surprise you with something. For those not feeling it....you are there bearing witness for others. It may not be Your rite of passage...but your role and your experience on the playa is significant for others who are experiencing the ordeal of a passage.

A. The Theme Rite of Passage appears rather huge for the BM organization this year. Lots of significant changes and milestones. New Non-Profit journey ahead. Changes in the admin structure..25th anniversary...sold out for the first time ever. These are not small accomplishments or ordeals. They are momentous milestones worthy of celebration, honor and great care moving forward. I sense at the top level of the Organization there is great unsettledness....and clearly the calling of a RITE OF PASSAGE is a nod to their awareness that they are at a threshold of great changes

B. A rite of passage is an ordeal. There is always a test. It is an initiatory experience. Check out Joseph Campbell for great insight into the nature of rites of passage. I can see how for a Virgin Burner - the theme will have a lot of meaning. What bigger rite of passage do we have in life then birth - losing our virginity - and death. HA! The matrix of a rite of passage is Departure/Transformation/Return Even for the Most veteran Burner - The event is by its very design a rite of passage every year. It is an ordeal to prepare and get there...long lines testing patience, resources...creativity..etc. The very fact that it is set in one of the harshest environments in nature makes it a right of passage to survive. Getting there and transforming the empty playa into BRC in all its splendid sacred and profane glory....and then departing from bliss and the altered reality of the ordeal back into the ordinary reality of default world. What do you return from this journey with? It can be as profound as a complete personal transformation that shifts everything in your ordinary reality, - or is as simple as sticking your 8th BM event sticker on the bumper of your VW van when you get home. No matter whether you see it or not - you are changed after each burning man. You have passed through the experience.

The best way to experience and honor the RITE OF PASSAGE this year is to set out on the journey with a single intent. It can be as simple as - My intention is to have a great time...or...my intention is to .....X(fill in your profound life altering intention here).

Great theme - great thread.
shamansjourney

Postby Complexity » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am

It's curious that much of the western world has retained vestigial rites of passage - that is to say culturally anticipated rites of passage - but wedded them to money in the majority of cases. First legal purchase of alcohol, first driving license, first car. These are all designed to remind you who you are and to reaffirm your adopted cultural identity.

A traditional culturally embedded rite of passage marked a transition to a new stage of life. The old individual 'died' and was born anew, often taking a new name.

It feels like a perfect theme for a world which needs a marker between an old, perhaps arguably irresponsible way of being, and a new identity.
Complexity

Postby shamansjourney » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:38 pm

A traditional culturally embedded rite of passage marked a transition to a new stage of life. The old individual 'died' and was born anew, often taking a new name.

It feels like a perfect theme for a world which needs a marker between an old, perhaps arguably irresponsible way of being, and a new identity.[/quote]

Yes!!! Agree agree agree. Lets meet up and play in the playa sandbox together - make a new identity!
shamansjourney

Next

Return to 2011 Theme