Best rebar stakes for Costco carport? Newb here.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Best rebar stakes for Costco carport? Newb here.

Postby Lucidvegas » Tue May 31, 2011 1:34 pm

I know I know it's in a previous post somewhere. But does anyone else have a hard time using the "search" feature? I'm short on time so figured I'd ask.....

Which rebar stakes do I need for the Costco carport ? How many? Size? Length ? Ect.

I"m doing a test in the back yard, and want to include stakes and guide lines.

Speaking of which.....,..
Question 2...

What other equipment do I need ?
Tennis balls? Rope? Straps?

Any takers? Thanks! So excited!
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
User avatar
Lucidvegas
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Postby TomServo » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Duct Tape, or...if you can afford it, Gorilla tape. Tennis balls are good. You can use either T-posts or heavy, at least 3 foot rebar, to splint your canopy legs...using afore mentioned tape, and get away with no guylines. T-posts are the best, but a bitch to drive and pull out, without the proper tools. Candy cane rebar works ok, but difficult to drive. Have your anchors at least ONE FOOT into the playa!

Image
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Mojojita » Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 pm

I suggest do the same as in Tom's drawing above, just use rebar. It is important to first wrap the leg of your shelter with plastic wrap - keeps the duct tape from sticking/melting to your stuff and just cut it away when time to break down.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Postby TomServo » Tue May 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Rebars also easier to pull. Use locking pliers and twist it out.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Lucidvegas » Tue May 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Do I need to buy a certain width of rebar? Or is it all the same?


Candy cane? Bent at the end? I think
I've read a few posts saying mos prefer unbent.

Oh also....you say no guy lines ? I think for my first BM I should be safer than sorry.....hate for the carport to go airborne....I think that'd be a buzz kill.....

I'll even take links to previous posts ;)


(also....I'll have a truck n trailer. Anchorage carport to them? )

Thanks again!
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
User avatar
Lucidvegas
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Postby TomServo » Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:Do I need to buy a certain width of rebar? Or is it all the same?


Candy cane? Bent at the end? I think
I've read a few posts saying mos prefer unbent.

Oh also....you say no guy lines ? I think for my first BM I should be safer than sorry.....hate for the carport to go airborne....I think that'd be a buzz kill.....

I'll even take links to previous posts ;)


(also....I'll have a truck n trailer. Anchorage carport to them? )

Thanks again!


1/2 inch plus rebar. Ive seen airborne carports...and they are a buzzkill. Trust me, if you splint your canopy legs, and they are anchored at least a foot, you will be golden! Tie it all down to your car, if you feel anxious. This will be my 11th burn, I learned the T post trick from DPW. You can always test it out at 4th of Juplaya.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Trishntek » Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 pm

The man says you are golden with T-posts,,,,,,

YOU ARE GOLDEN WITH T-POSTS!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Bob » Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Rebar stakes of any size are nominally okay for guy lines for tents or smallish canopies.

Keep in mind that T-stakes are made from low-grade steel that bends pretty easily. T-stakes are probably good for rat-ass Costco-type canopies because they pin them in place and nominally improve the stiffness of the posts thru about half their height. Wrap with cord or tape all the way up to take advantage of this. If I used Costco canopies, I'd use guy lines in addition to pinning the posts using T-stakes or concrete stakes or whatever.

FWIW, DPW only uses T-stakes and rebar for the purposes intended -- fences, and concrete reinforcement. DPW uses lumber to build structures on the playa, mostly.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Tue May 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Bob wrote:Rebar stakes of any size are nominally okay for guy lines for tents or smallish canopies.

Keep in mind that T-stakes are made from low-grade steel that bends pretty easily. T-stakes are probably good for rat-ass Costco-type canopies because they pin them in place and nominally improve the stiffness of the posts thru about half their height. Wrap with cord or tape all the way up to take advantage of this. If I used Costco canopies, I'd use guy lines in addition to pinning the posts using T-stakes or concrete stakes or whatever.

FWIW, DPW only uses T-stakes and rebar for the purposes intended -- fences, and concrete reinforcement. DPW uses lumber to build structures on the playa, mostly.


your thinking of U posts. T-posts are pretty solid.just for shits and giggles, go to home depot, and compare the two. and dont tell me what DPW uses them for.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby capjbadger » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm

If you do the rebar-tape-legs thing, make very sure the roof parts will not pop off the legs. I've seen the roof come off one of those carports leaving the "secure" legs behind. ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Bob » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

TomServo wrote:
Bob wrote:Rebar stakes of any size are nominally okay for guy lines for tents or smallish canopies.

Keep in mind that T-stakes are made from low-grade steel that bends pretty easily. T-stakes are probably good for rat-ass Costco-type canopies because they pin them in place and nominally improve the stiffness of the posts thru about half their height. Wrap with cord or tape all the way up to take advantage of this. If I used Costco canopies, I'd use guy lines in addition to pinning the posts using T-stakes or concrete stakes or whatever.

FWIW, DPW only uses T-stakes and rebar for the purposes intended -- fences, and concrete reinforcement. DPW uses lumber to build structures on the playa, mostly.


your thinking of U posts. T-posts are pretty solid.just for shits and giggles, go to home depot, and compare the two. and dont tell me what DPW uses them for.


Alrighty then!

[slowly stepping away from the cage]
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 am

So, if I put guylines, where do I do it? 1 on each corner? Errr where? How many?
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
User avatar
Lucidvegas
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 am

MyLarry does not like the leg wrapping method, so we just use guylines. One per leg, to very long rebar with a special welded T top. You can use bent rebar, but it is a bitch to hammer in. We run the guys in an X configuration, instead of straight out. Blocks two of the side segments, but there's no trip factor.

I'd have to be on my other computer to post a pic.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Got those pics? Hehe. I'm still unsure of a couple things.

These rebar t post specially welded.

I dont weld. How else do I tie the guylines to rebar?

Just put the stakes at an angle?
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
User avatar
Lucidvegas
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:Got those pics? Hehe. I'm still unsure of a couple things.

These rebar t post specially welded.

I dont weld. How else do I tie the guylines to rebar?

Just put the stakes at an angle?

You've camped, right? :shock:

Yes, put the rebar in at an angle and then CAP THE REBAR so people don't get sliced open. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Our Rhino 12'X20' garage was held down by Six 4' T-posts duct taped to its posts and no guy lines. It did not budge the entire week.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Trishntek wrote:Our Rhino 12'X20' garage was held down by Six 4' T-posts duct taped to its posts and no guy lines. It did not budge the entire week.


They wont listen..
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 pm

guylines can be tripped over, decapitating....do what you want, Weve given you the best solution..take it or leave it.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ibdave » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Mojojita wrote:I suggest do the same as in Tom's drawing above, just use rebar. It is important to first wrap the leg of your shelter with plastic wrap - keeps the duct tape from sticking/melting to your stuff and just cut it away when time to break down.


1o years with the same 2 costco carports as Mojo said. We only use 1 wall panel with billboard vinyl for the bottom. No guy wires and the best duct tape. The cheap shit is just that. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
User avatar
ibdave
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:09 pm
Burning Since: 1998

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 pm

6-8inch shrink wrap is really easy to find, stronger than saran wrap, needs less wraps and is therefore cheaper.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned using auger screw type stakes amongst all this garble about using rebar yet?

12 inch nails straight trough the feet are a hellava lot easier than rebar for the legs, and they already have a head to pound them in with.

Rebar....pah!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:6-8inch shrink wrap is really easy to find, stronger than saran wrap, needs less wraps and is therefore cheaper.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned using auger screw type stakes amongst all this garble about using rebar yet?

12 inch nails straight trough the feet are a hellava lot easier than rebar for the legs, and they already have a head to pound them in with.

Rebar....pah!


All my tents have 12" nails for tent stakes.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Having the right size washer is the trick, those cost more than the Nails!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Even then you get a little tit on the galvanized coating that hangs up. I use 3/8" fender washers.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Works great for carpets too.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Y_HBojho4[/youtube]
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 pm

That is something we are doing this year. Our camp lounge for camp mates only will have pink outdoor carpet. It will be about a 10'X16' area. I duct taped around the edges and grommet them. The nails should sit pretty flush, I'm thinkin'.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 pm

I say we beat the hippies with our t posts
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 pm

That is a good idea.
you can take out more of them in one swing than you can with a piece of rebar.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 am

But rebar comes 20 ft long, and ribbed for your pleasure.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 am

TomServo wrote:guylines can be tripped over, decapitating....do what you want, Weve given you the best solution..take it or leave it.


Except our guylines, which are placed between the legs, rather than out from the structure, and form interior walls of the shade area with the tents behind the Xs. Of course we have to be different.

Our rebar was welded by our neighbor, he did it at work. You can just bend them.

Our outer edge carport feet do not get nailed down because the outside legs are tilted in the clamshell configuration, they do not sit flat. The inner ones don't need it. The outer walls are at an angle, so the guylines run down the inside of the wall (which is really part of the roof), behind the legs. Have I confused you enough already?

But the we are a carport, shade, carport conglomeration.

Our carport is older, the pieces do not clip in, the roof canopy is what holds the whole thing together. The legs just slip in the roof joints. The feet barely hold on anyway. That's why Larry has doubts about the effectiveness of taping with our set up.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests