Repetitive topic - Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Repetitive topic - Tents

Postby FaeTora » Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I put tent into the search engine on here and got every thread I think on here.

I just wanted to know if anyone had luck with any tents on the playa that they could recommend. I don't need anything huge. Two to a four person tent is more than enough. Its just me a small suitcase and a cooler. I will change, brush my teeth and shower outside my tent (which I will only use during the night, if I sleep during the day we have a shade structure. I just don't want to get to the playa to have it ripped to shreds by a storm.

(editted to add) - it has to be small enough to go into checked baggages. The ones that I think will work are huge.

Thank you in advance!
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 26, 2011 3:20 pm

I have owned a $60 10X11 Coleman family car camping tent for almost 30 years...I have used it every one of those 30 years, including 6 years on the playa. Except for a stuck zipper (which was an easy fix) it has sustained virtually no damage.

Have I religiously cleaned the tent after each use? Yes.
Have I stored the tent between uses in a clean, dry environment? Yes.
At Burning Man have I set the tent up to take advantage of the wind break offered by larger structures? Yes.
Have I used 8-foot long rebar to stake out the tent? No. Simple 10-inch aluminum tent nails have been just fine.

I guess the message is that even the toughest structures can be damaged by the elements at BM. But with common sense planning and set up, even a rather flimsy structure can withstand the winds and dust.

YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

I have an older Mountain Hardware tent that I "borrowed" from my brother in law. It survived BM even after being used for monthly desert camping for years. It's sun bleached, and I'm pretty sure I don't put it up correctly, but it survives well. It's probably about 10 years old, so I imagine their new stuff is even better.

It's pretty big. You can probably fit two queen sized air beds in it with space to move around.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Re: Repetitive topic - Tents

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 26, 2011 4:02 pm

FaeTora wrote:(editted to add) - it has to be small enough to go into checked baggages. The ones that I think will work are huge.

This is gonna be the tricky part!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby FaeTora » Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah. Thats why posed the question. I'd also like it to be that size because it will be my main tent that I will use about 5 to 8 times a year outside of BRC.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 pm

My sister has a little 4 man Coleman Tent. And its not huge when its all packed up.
Who are you camping with? Is there anychance that you could buy a tent and have it drop shipped to them. Maybe they would be willing to store it for you. And it would be your Burning Man tent. Wouldn't really solve the "use the rest of the year problem."

Maybe ask C.F.M. what she uses.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby C.f.M. » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 am

illy dilly wrote:My sister has a little 4 man Coleman Tent. And its not huge when its all packed up.
Who are you camping with? Is there anychance that you could buy a tent and have it drop shipped to them. Maybe they would be willing to store it for you. And it would be your Burning Man tent. Wouldn't really solve the "use the rest of the year problem."

Maybe ask C.F.M. what she uses.

For everything BUT BM I use an Ez-Up. I love it. I will never camp in a tent again.

I am VERY fortunate to have wonderful, kind and generous campmates who loan me a canvas tent for BM.

I still like looking at them, though. You can go to the ol' blog

http://playabound.wordpress.com/

and look through the "Tents" category.

I honestly don't know what I'd have gone with, had it not been for my campmates. Trying to figure out a tent I could fly with last year was no fun.

And you can check odd sizes onto a flight; you don't have to be able to pack it into a suitcase.

Tents are such a personal thing. I know people who used the same $40 Coleman for eight years, and people who had a $350 one bust up the first time.
C.f.M.

Postby Bob » Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 am

At your local REI you can see tents pitched & unpitched. Avoid too much screening.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby dragonpilot » Fri May 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Trishntek » Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm

I've had this Eureka backpacking tent for nearly 30 years. Never used it on the playa, but I have used it in very windy places in Wyoming and it holds up marvelously. It is called the 2-man Mountain tent. Don't know if they make it anymore, but is has plenty of space for a single person with gear and only weighs about 8 pounds.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby gyre » Fri May 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Tents are becoming more crappified.

You want a four season backpacking tent.

Search four season, fifth season, expedition, arctic, refugee tents.

Check silvicool and 100% aluminet for shade.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Your best deal may be a last season discontinued north face from campmor.

Do not buy an outlet tent with no warranty.
There are fakes on ebay
gyre

Postby langdon » Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Trishntek wrote:I've had this Eureka backpacking tent for nearly 30 years. Never used it on the playa, but I have used it in very windy places in Wyoming and it holds up marvelously. It is called the 2-man Mountain tent. Don't know if they make it anymore, but is has plenty of space for a single person with gear and only weighs about 8 pounds.

Yup I used my dad's Eureka 2 person from the 80's in the New Mexican desert for a month and it performed well (he's also used it heavily since the 80s), stayed dry during heavy rains and had plenty of room for myself and gea ... so i'd recommend a Eureka if you can find

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365446/Timberline is $150 new
langdon

Postby Trishntek » Sat May 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I put this up today just to see if it was still functional and started thinking about when I actually purchased this. It was 1976! This tent is THIRTY-FIVE years old! I always kept the seams treated with sealant and washed it. I was blown away what good shape it is in after 10's of thousands of miles of motorcycle camping and backcountry hiking.

edit: see more details here: http://www.retrofrolic.com/5.html
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat May 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Nice tent, TnT!

I got myself a Eureka 9x9, we'll see how that holds up. Looks pretty sturdy so far. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Bob » Sun May 29, 2011 11:19 am

I've never used a new store-bought tent at Burning Man or anywhere else. Last year, had a ten dollar Target tent I found at the thrift shoppe. In the mountains I just use a tarp.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Which is why skills are so much more useful than money.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wraith » Mon May 30, 2011 9:02 pm

And how. I'm bringing my tent as backup, but frankly I trust the utility of a tarp and support structure and my hammock much further because I know I've overengineered it and just how it goes together in case I have to do an emergency fix. :D
wraith

Return to Shelter & Camping