Drink Recipes! what do you like out on the Playa?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Drink Recipes! what do you like out on the Playa?

Postby Bexx » Sat May 21, 2011 1:46 am

Am wondering because my camp runs a bar - and we always have some fun drinks and shots to pass out. I wanted to see what everyone else was doing!

I've been coming up with some great ones - but one I am drinking right this very minute - I plan on making out there. TANG! and Pinnacle Whipped Vodka. It tastes just like an orange cream 50/50 bar! oh my sweet god it's so good. AND! Vitamin C!

so what ya'll got? :o
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:36 am

Wow, that sounds amazing!

One place was serving vodka snowcones last year and they were soooo good!
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 am

I like making things by the pitcher and then sharing with my neighbors. In the past I've made

Sangria (Red Wine, OJ, Cran Juice blend, Lemon Juice & Vodka)

Watermelon Margaritas (Watermelon infused with tequila blended and frozen with margarita mix)

Screwdriver from Space (Tang and Vodka)

Home-made Margaritas - Sorry, but not giving up my mix recipe. All I'll say is it can be made in advance and frozen or made on the Playa.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby TomServo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 am

Bloody Mary's...obviously, Tropical screwdriver (OJ/pineapple and vodka), dirty martini (gin or vodka, vermouth and olive brine), Sgroppino al Limone (2 cups lemon sorbet, 2-3 dashes of vodka,1/3 cup chilled Italian prosecco wine)
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Sat May 21, 2011 8:48 am

I have been experimenting with liquor , gatorade and five hour energy. Get buzzed stat hydrated and go all night!

So far my favorite is Tequila, orange gatorade and pomegranate five hour energy I call it a "Tequila moon rise"
Mr. Flintstone

Postby FIGJAM » Sat May 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Purple Jesus=Grape juice+everclear!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DanusLight » Sat May 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Birgin question: how do you know how much to bring with you? I'd really really hate to run out :shock:
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Mojojita » Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 pm

DanusLight wrote:Birgin question: how do you know how much to bring with you? I'd really really hate to run out :shock:

Bring 2.5 times more than you think you might need + little gift for Gate and Greeters! You will find yourself sharing a lot.
Mojojita

Postby Mojojita » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm

#1 Bloody Marys
#2 Tequila shots chased with a finger full of lemonade powder (lick finger, stick it into the lemonade powder, lick one side of finger, do shot, lick rest of finger.
#3 Lynchburg Lemonade
#4 Lemon drop shooters (buy premade)
#5 Always have good wine with food.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Sat May 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Mojojita wrote:
DanusLight wrote:Birgin question: how do you know how much to bring with you? I'd really really hate to run out :shock:

Bring 2.5 times more than you think you might need + little gift for Gate and Greeters! You will find yourself sharing a lot.

Agreed . . . bring more than you think you need, because it feels really good to share, and you can always finish it after the burn if you're driving (but don't pack an opened bottle where you could access it, in case you get stopped by the law). Or give it away to the Department of Public Works on the way out.

Favorite drinks out there: champagne, Sapporo, varieties of Absolut mixed with 100% juice or Sprite.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TinkerMom » Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Creamsicles!! Vanilla Vodka and orange soda.
Southern Bubbles!! SoCo Peach and Champagne.
And I love root beer and Baileys.
New to the playa, but not new to camping out of
a box or drinking for that matter.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby TomServo » Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Depends...are you running a bar, or is this for private use? I spent about $1000 on booze and mixers for the Roller Disco bar, and we ran out by day three. Also, take into account the mixer to booze ratio. If its for private use, what they said.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ibdave » Sat May 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Mojojita wrote:

I buy the small ice chest at yard sales, clean them up. Because I have room I fill each chest with beer, water, soda, zip lock bag with candy bars. I give a chest to the gate crew and greeters station I go through. I drive a RV and pull a trailer stuffed full of camp crap. Gate loves the gift and it helps "speed" things up. Then someone has a ice chest to take.... 8) 8) 8)

While working greeters, small bags of candy that's cold and not melted is great. Twizzlers... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Those sexy Gate people are always appreciative of beverages, especially PBR and Jamesons. American Spirits are always a good gift too.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Dustdevil » Sat May 21, 2011 8:59 pm

We primarily serve only frozen margaritas. Once in a while we will put vodka and tang into the machine and make Votangs. We also bring frozen pureed strawberrys and make frozen daquiris. Last year we went through over 60 gallons of frozen margaritas.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat May 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Which bar camps have a different cocktail for every night?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bexx » Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:Wow, that sounds amazing!

One place was serving vodka snowcones last year and they were soooo good!

a friend and I went on a bike ride looking for the sno-cones! found the street they were on because they had set up a "ROAD CLOSED DUE TO SNOW" sign.. BUT alas they had stopped by the time we got there. I think someone went off to get ice - I can't remember. Imna have to hopefully find them again.
Bexx

Postby Bexx » Mon May 23, 2011 1:49 am

nice - those all sound yummy! - we do bloody marys - and we make up a big tub of a fruity drink with vodka.. it's basically a fuckton of fruit and a whole bottle of vodka and ice.

Last year I think mid week we had run out of mixers to use @ the bar so we were just doing shots. We set up a Sobriety Check Point. If you road past and could pass for sober - you needed to come have a shot. It worked real well - and we made a ton of friends. - That was such an awesome day.

as for the question of how much to bring - LOTS at least more than you might think you will need. Certain boozes that mix well with everything go faster than most. I know we still had a whole big bottle of Gin left. - but like the pirates that we are - ALL the fucking RUM was gone by Sat. ( I think we had a secret stash though)

SO I know at least for us - stocking up on RUM and VODKA will be key. I think an extra bottle of Baileys will work too. And thank the gods that KRAKEN rum now comes in a big ass bottle. We had the small one and it was gone in a day I think.
Bexx

Postby illy dilly » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 am

One of my favorites is Jack Daniels and A&W Root Beer.
Tried it with Jim Beam, and it wasn't the same.

I have been experimenting with liquor , gatorade and five hour energy.

I like to buy cases of the 16oz generic sports drinks from Sam's or Costco, then drink the first inch or so, then refill with vodka. Keep at least one in my day pack at all times.
The only part that sucks is that you end up with 18 small plastic bottles taking up trash bag space.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Re: Drink Recipes! what do you like out on the Playa?

Postby ConnieH » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

Bexx wrote:...TANG! and Pinnacle Whipped Vodka. It tastes just like an orange cream 50/50 bar! oh my sweet god it's so good. AND! Vitamin C!

That sounds delicious, I will have to try it with my "private stash". At the bar, we serve stiff drinks with whatever liquor (usually cheap vodka) & mixer (usually something powdered) that happens to be at the bar, on the rocks if you're lucky...nothing fancy at Farmopolis cuz that's how we roll :)
ConnieH

Postby peterakabob » Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 am

Johnnie Walker Black, straight.
peterakabob

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Best drink on the playa, hands DOWN, is a side car. Make by the pitcher or even by the drink cooler full and share.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Gardenfaerie » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Vodka!!!!
Vodka and Orange Juice
Vodka and Cranberry Juice
Vodka and Blueberry Juice
Vodka and Pineapple Juice
Vodka and Kahlua

Hell, just plenty of Vodka!!!
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
Mark Twain
Gardenfaerie

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Here's one not to try:

Put Vodka+redbull in a sealed water bottle and go ride around the bumpy playa on your bike... Starts bubbling out the top like crazy. :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby robbidobbs » Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 pm

BEER! And lots of it. Bring an extra case hidden away for the last day.

Gonzo and I were walking around Esplanade on Friday last year. We found this lovely bar, and sat down. I had my gallon jug of Playa Punch (mixed up dehydration-detail whatever). The gentleman there asked us what we wanted. Nice gent. We both said BEER. His camp had been gifting snow cones with hard alcohol, and they didn't have any beer. So we just made ourselves comfortable after a nice long day of Poop Patrol and watched the city do its thing. Another beautiful man came by, and our request was proffered to him. He said "I'll be right back." After about 20 minutes of lovely conversation, he presented us each with one beer. He apologized, as it was ambient temperature. Of course we were grateful - DPW standards don't specify beverage temp. He revealed it was from his personal stash.

What a beautiful man!

Bring beer. Lots of it. Hide some for the last minute.

Enjoy,
RobbiDobbs
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Those burners who remember the "Space Pirate" of Mr. Jellyfish (vodka/tang) will be pleased that as they age they can have the same orangish flavor in the "Geriatric Space Pirate" (or "Greybeard" as it sometimes called), featuring vodka and orange metamusil.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby herbal » Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm

raspberry vodka and powdered strawberry lemonade!!!! replace as much of the water in the recipe as you want with the vodka. great for brunch on the pllllaya. hehe.
herbal

Postby Bexx » Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 pm

OH! and a couple of cheap plastic pitchers with lids! I need to actually start making me a list of stuff!! ;)
Bexx

Postby herbal » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

raspberry vodka and powdered strawberry lemonade!!!! replace as much of the water in the recipe as you want with the vodka. great for brunch on the pllllaya. hehe.
herbal

Postby International Incident » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 pm

One we make for music festivals is cold coffee (we brew up expresso, add some milk, and freeze it) and add some vodka.

The cold coffee is delicious - the vodka is a special kick in the butt treat.

Of course this only works if you can keep the coffee cold...
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Next

Return to Food & Drink