selling of gift tickets

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Technically that is destruction of personal property, and a violation of the law.

Personally I would prolly kick the ticket ripper square in the nads.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dustdevil » Sun May 22, 2011 8:20 pm

I can say with certainty that the person who destroyed the ticket would have been injured. Whether it is law enforcement in Nevada or the thugs on the streets of the town I work in, I have a very low tolerance for BS. Just ask One eyed Dick. I will always respond in an appropriate manner.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby lucky420 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 am

throat punch
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 am

I think the person grabbing the ticket could be charged with robbery.
gyre

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I think I'd not easily restrain myself from doing something I would later regret. A little... maybe. I think the tear-orist would not like the reaction to his (or her) action. Let me explain...

- - -

Having received so-called "gift" tickets as a so-called "volunteer" for the org I can assure you that those gift tix aren't free by a long shot. Bull you say?

(RantServ V 3.12 boot protocol initializing...)

Lessee... minimum of 40 hours, plus I did a 24 hour on-call shift, and wsas there pre- and post-event. No drinking before or during the shift, plus being as if I was at my 51 week a year job (with the same or harder rules). No dope. No shenanigans. Follow ALL the rules. ALL the time. Bustin' my butt. Even figuring minimum wage at 7.25 (and my skillset gets a hell of a lot more than minimum on the outside), x 64 hours? I paid... at least $464.00 for that ticket. It's cheaper to buy a ticket. Really no shit cheaper. Plus I get to enjoy the event, and not watch a clock... or my manners.

So, while it may not be politically correct to espouse this, I got no problem with someone selling their $460+ dollar "Gift" ticket. When I was flush, I'd buy a ticket and gift the "Gift", but I got burned once doing that (long story, the giftee ended up pissing off a lot of people) so usually I use it or, if I don't. I save it as a souvineer. If someone is GENUINELY hard up and otherwise fucked... then I think about it.

But it's MY ticket. I EARNED the bastard. Dig? Not yours to tell me how holy I should be to live YOUR rules. I busted MY ass while you went out and played to get that gift that I could gift off. Or keep. Or, fuck, sell if I had to (tho I've yet to sell that ticket, and if I did I'd never tell anyone). I'd never get the $1400 that ticket cost ME. YOU do the work, then YOU say how that ticket gets done.

RantServ shutdown protocol 2.06a3

Sorry, I do get a little defensive about that issue. Just a wee bit, maybe??

S.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby graidawg » Mon May 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I think I'd not easily restrain myself from doing something I would later regret. A little... maybe. I think the tear-orist would not like the reaction to his (or her) action. Let me explain...

- - -

Having received so-called "gift" tickets as a so-called "volunteer" for the org I can assure you that those gift tix aren't free by a long shot. Bull you say?

(RantServ V 3.12 boot protocol initializing...)

Lessee... minimum of 40 hours, plus I did a 24 hour on-call shift, and wsas there pre- and post-event. No drinking before or during the shift, plus being as if I was at my 51 week a year job (with the same or harder rules). No dope. No shenanigans. Follow ALL the rules. ALL the time. Bustin' my butt. Even figuring minimum wage at 7.25 (and my skillset gets a hell of a lot more than minimum on the outside), x 64 hours? I paid... at least $464.00 for that ticket. It's cheaper to buy a ticket. Really no shit cheaper. Plus I get to enjoy the event, and not watch a clock... or my manners.

So, while it may not be politically correct to espouse this, I got no problem with someone selling their $460+ dollar "Gift" ticket. When I was flush, I'd buy a ticket and gift the "Gift", but I got burned once doing that (long story, the giftee ended up pissing off a lot of people) so usually I use it or, if I don't. I save it as a souvineer. If someone is GENUINELY hard up and otherwise fucked... then I think about it.

But it's MY ticket. I EARNED the bastard. Dig? Not yours to tell me how holy I should be to live YOUR rules. I busted MY ass while you went out and played to get that gift that I could gift off. Or keep. Or, fuck, sell if I had to (tho I've yet to sell that ticket, and if I did I'd never tell anyone). I'd never get the $1400 that ticket cost ME. YOU do the work, then YOU say how that ticket gets done.

RantServ shutdown protocol 2.06a3

Sorry, I do get a little defensive about that issue. Just a wee bit, maybe??

S.

I heaRT YOU, bAy briDGE Sue
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby fbcota » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 am

I think the engineer should have given the tickets back to the art project. We have a long list of people who have helped with our project and have easily put in what would be more than a ticket price worth of work that we do not have a ticket for. I am sure my projects are not the only ones that deal with this.

Does selling a gift ticket for an Honorarium project violate the agreement with the org? I thought it did.
fbcota

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 am

As with all gifts, once it has left your possession, it is no longer your property. If you want strings attached, make them sign a contract.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 am

fbcota wrote:I think the engineer should have given the tickets back to the art project. We have a long list of people who have helped with our project and have easily put in what would be more than a ticket price worth of work that we do not have a ticket for. I am sure my projects are not the only ones that deal with this.

Does selling a gift ticket for an Honorarium project violate the agreement with the org? I thought it did.

The engineer was not a team member of the project. He had his own firm and was chosen because he attends the Event and understood the dynamics involved of building structures on the Playa.
So, if I understand your position correctly, he should work for free because he had a death in the family and was unable to attend??

I am not attempting to be snarky, I want to make certain I understand your position correctly.

I have been involved with several Honorarium contracts, from the LLC side of the table. I have never seen anything about disposition of gift tickets. You are allowed to auction them at fund raisers, to raise money for the project.

I will read the next contract I see more carefully and report back.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby essjay » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 pm

If they were concerned about scalping gift tickets for locals, they could easily solve it by not printing tickets and just require them to show ID or proof of residence at the gate.
essjay

Postby fbcota » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Dustdevil: I think in those circumstances its fine. I have never been a big fan of contracts and absolutes. Each situation is different. I tend to apply what I said to 90% of the cases, I am sure there will always be cases that merit a different interpretation. I didn't want to sound like I was coming down on you, but it did :P.

Not all issues of right and wrong require a contractual obligation. The community has a right to decide and act as they see fit. Some people will do things I disagree with, and I will let them know. Some people may agree with me, and join in, others may object. Then we all talk about it. But jumping to the conclusion that if you don't like it you need to add a legal hurdle is a little extreme.
fbcota

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy