Car Care

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Car Care

Postby scruffyboy » Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Be sure to overload your 40 year old vehicle the you haven't performed any work on in the last 20 years. Oh and be sure the tires are under-inflated, don't bother to check the oil or other fluids. And if you're a die hard dead head with an old air cooled hippie bus? It's perfectly O.K. to run the thing balls out during the heat of the day.
scruffyboy

Postby AntiM » Thu May 05, 2011 5:33 am

Moderator note: another joke thread in the Q&A. Yay.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Car Care

Postby havoc » Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 am

scruffyboy wrote:Be sure to overload your 40 year old vehicle the you haven't performed any work on in the last 20 years. Oh and be sure the tires are under-inflated, don't bother to check the oil or other fluids. And if you're a die hard dead head with an old air cooled hippie bus? It's perfectly O.K. to run the thing balls out during the heat of the day.

you should drive at least 90mph the whole way there too!
havoc

Aunti is correct

Postby scruffyboy » Fri May 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Auntie is correct... IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE! Take care of your vehicle and DON'T do the things I listed!
scruffyboy

Car Damage - What to expect / how to avoid it

Postby Lover » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Well hello There Buddies,

Just a quickie on cars (..in cars..? :) )
The crew and I are all virgins - we understand to have a very well maintained car and to take care of it while at the Burn...but I have heard horror stories about dust damage in engine blocks etc.

I was wondering if someone could give me a good idea about what to expect as far as "normal" damage to vehicles and how to avoid it or prevent it.

Love love
xoxo
And here you are hurried,
And here you are gone;
And here is the love,
That it's all built upon.
May everyone live,
And may everyone die.
Hello, my love,
And my love, Goodbye
-L.Cohen
Lover

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Well. Lover, there is a search function on eplaya. It's in the middle of the first line of orange type at the top of the page. It's kinda frustrating, but you could try "engine" as a search term and limit it to the Q&A, Tips and Tricks sub-forum. I'm sure that you would find lots of information. No need to bump up a failed joke thread and cause admin to grit its teeth.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Car Damage - What to expect / how to avoid it

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue May 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Lover wrote:Well hello There Buddies,

The crew and I are all virgins - we understand to have a very well maintained car and to take care of it while at the Burn...but I have heard horror stories about dust damage in engine blocks etc.

I was wondering if someone could give me a good idea about what to expect as far as "normal" damage to vehicles and how to avoid it or prevent it.

Love love
xoxo

I drove my 2003 Ford Focus out there last year, it wasn't super crazy well cared for. Usual 3000 mile oil changes, keeping fluids topped up, etc. It did fine getting out there and back. There was no damage, just dirt and dust. I was lazy and broke when I got back so I didn't do any maintenance, drove it another 10,000 miles and last week finally did post-playa maintenance (oil change, new air/oil filters, fluids, etc). Again, I'm extremely lazy :)

Getting there and back was fine. It didn't even mind hanging out on the playa getting coated in lovely dust. On the monday, I even used it to jump start my camp mates' trucks.

Just give it a thorough wash when you get back to get the dust off before it corodes, and do your normal 3,000 mile maintenance, and you should be find (in my opinion)
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby Rice » Tue May 24, 2011 4:44 pm

A well maintained vehicle should be fine.

All I do is wash mine & change the air filter after leaving the playa. Then after the three day drive home, it get the oil changed.

All things being equal, your vehicle should fare just as well..

Love Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

awesome!

Postby Lover » Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks everyone!
Feeling good now that the rumors of fast acting car eating dust and engine decaying dirt are disspelled!

Dance Dance
Love Love
See you out there!
And here you are hurried,
And here you are gone;
And here is the love,
That it's all built upon.
May everyone live,
And may everyone die.
Hello, my love,
And my love, Goodbye
-L.Cohen
Lover

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Well. Lover, there is a search function on eplaya. It's in the middle of the first line of orange type at the top of the page. It's kinda frustrating, but you could try "engine" as a search term and limit it to the Q&A, Tips and Tricks sub-forum. I'm sure that you would find lots of information. No need to bump up a failed joke thread and cause admin to grit its teeth.

No need to be surly, either
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Re:

Postby ManitoBURN » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Rice wrote:A well maintained vehicle should be fine.

Love Rice.

Any old POS rig will do fine. You just might need 4 spare tires, a hammer, spare altornator/ battery, jumper cable recovery strap, and DO NOT FORGET DUCK TAPE!

Never been to the playa (hope to go) but I have done countless blizzards in old trucks at breakneck speeds.
Something starts to make a funny sound? Turn up the radio. :D

Ps. The first half of the post is a joke.
"It works fine! You just don't have a imagination!"
ManitoBURN

Burning Since: 2017

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Pssst! Manito - This thread has been safely dead and buried for three years. You are talking to ghosts. Not that there is anything really wrong with that...

Try some fresh-made, current-generation threads. They are delicious, nutritious, and you get a full dose of snark and moral fiber In each one. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:14 pm

What's wrong with a joke thread? Must I remind those of you who forgot, Black Rock City was born from the San Francisco Cacophony Society!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby AntiM » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 am

Right... I even have the t-shirt (I do, actually). But working threads are working threads, we have no sense of humor.

A hint for eplaya searches: use google with "eplaya" in the search. Works better than our own search function.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Car Damage - What to expect / how to avoid it

Postby Rice » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 am

Lover wrote:Well hello There Buddies,

Love love
xoxo

A well maintained vehicle should do fine. I drive 3000Km (1800+ Miles) 1-way from Canada and my vehicle has never been damaged. If you really want to baby your vehicle, bring a new Air Filter (keep it in a sealed plastic bag) and change out your air filter after you leave the playa. Dust will be everywhere, just go with it...

I suspect the "horror stories" are from older vehicles, that may not have been 100% maintained properly. Old stuff tends to break when stressed - the playa is trying to Kill us, and anything we bring.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:30 am

Small story from Danger Ranger who I believe has been to every burn ever... He told me he's run cars out there with NO air filter lotsa times with no issues. I think the playa dust messes up your air filter itself more than your engine.
Granted, he was using 1960s simple vehicles not computerized fuel injected stuff.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:40 am

Playa dust vs. air filters?

I'm not an expert when it comes to mechanics, but I do know some stuff... Seems to me like the playa dust would still be abrasive enough to score and damage cylinder walls? Not enough to kill an engine, but not good for it either...
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Return to Transportation