What's better 6 inch or 9 inch bungee balls, and how many?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

What's better 6 inch or 9 inch bungee balls, and how many?

Postby Lucidvegas » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello everyone. I got a hook up on a canopy from a gentleman here in Vegas so I have a canopy yay! (Costco Carport )

Was wondering what is best, 6 inch or 9 inch bungee balls? And how many should I have ? I'm looking at a place that sales like 100 for 35 bux!

Just trying to decide do I need 6 or 9 inch.....and If I don't figure it out my OCD buying will make me buy both!

Thanks in advance.

Gabe

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

This is what I was looking at.....
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby Sic Pup » Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 pm

I don't have a whole lot experience but my guess is it's dependent on the usage. I can tell you I went with the 9" for my Monkey Hut last year and they just weren't taut enough given the size of the gap between the tarp and the PVC, I ended up borrowed some 6" from a campmate and they were much better (as I recall he borrowed a few 9" for his EMT shade structure for specific spots). 100 for $35 is what I paid, I'll probably grab 60 6" this go round ($21 @ tarps plus) but bring the 9" in case some one else has a use for them.

P.S. - FWIW - another camp mate used zip ties for his MH with equal success.

YMMV
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby ConnieH » Mon May 16, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm not sure what size our bungee balls are (I'm guessing 6"), but we wrapped them around the pvc twice on our monkey hut to make them tighter. You could do the same on whatever canopy you have if yours are too long. As to how many, more is probably better and extra is always nice to have!
ConnieH

Postby TomServo » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 pm

if you buy 9 inch, and they're too long...you can make em work, by either looping them around the poles or tying the ball knot further down. Just to be safe Id get 9 inch....

although...6 inch should work...forget what I said! Get 6 inch, but bring spare 9 inch bungees
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon May 16, 2011 3:00 pm

What you actually end up needing more of is the little 4 inch ones, and they are cheaper too!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Mon May 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Your link doesn't go anywhere.

Here's how to find out what size you need. Buy 8 4", 8 6", and 8 9". Set up your frame and put your canopy over it. Even the canopy out and see which set of bungee balls will fit on each corner and one in the middle.

Your canopy will come with grommeted holes, so count all the holes, then add four (one additional bungee for each corner). That's how many bungees you need. Buy a half-dozen extra (more or less, depending on the total number). Then when you've got all the cords, set up the canopy again and make sure it's snug.

Good luck and have fun.
phil

Postby peachandpapa » Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm

We have a 20'x30' shade structure and use 6" heavy duty bungees (wrap around the EMT once) due to the fact that the ball bungees snap easily. Better safe then sorry!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby yellowdog » Wed May 18, 2011 12:17 pm

What Phil said. I have a non-Costco type, maybe different sized tubing than yours, but I end up using both 4 inch and 6 inch. Experiment before you commit. you want the tarp tight to shed wind, but with enough give in the bungees to not rip out the grommets. Having two sizes allows me to make it just right. YMMV.
yellowdog

Postby duder9000 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Even better price: 100 for 20 bucks!

http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/ball-bu ... piece.html
duder9000

Return to Shelter & Camping