Best road to take for cars with low clearance?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Best road to take for cars with low clearance?

Postby cephalopod » Thu May 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I drive a first generation Honda Insight which if youve ever seen one, you know is very low to the ground.
Ive been searching previous topics and have gathered that Jungo road is the last thing Id want to try.
But Im wondering, what would be the safest way in to take for my tiny two seater?
I will either be coming from Reno or from somewhere along route 5 in Oregon (depending on where my travels take me immediately before the burn).
"The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation"
cephalopod

Postby capjbadger » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

The simple anwser is "paved roads". You'll be fine. Just take it slow once you get off the road and onto the playa.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Ive been searching previous topics and have gathered that Jungo road is the last thing Id want to try.

Dammit, you totally ruined my little joke. :lol:

(Though it's not like I wouldn't have retracted my claim within the same post.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 pm

We've taken a Toyota Scion XA onto the playa. No problem, but you can feel the bunnies thumping your bum as they roll under the car. Sad.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ibdave » Thu May 12, 2011 5:45 pm

you will have to be careful when you pull off the road at the entrance. For the 1st 50-75 ft is large crush rock 4-6" range. It tends to pack down for the most part, but it will get kicked up and that would not be good for the Honda. You should be able to steer clear. Don't know what roads your coming in on, but you might look at the road construction site for each state. I know that Hwy 50 in Cal is torn up and lots of work going on. The last 2 year I have blown trailer tires due to the crappy road. :roll: :shock: 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 pm

The trick isn't to go slowly, the trick is to go fast enough and not worry. Floor it, hang on and turn up the music to drown out the "road noise."

If you're lucky, the grinding crunch of rocks and thumping of bunnies will be in time with the beat, that is, if you're truly in tune with the universe.

It seems like legit advice, the Dali Lama told me himself one day whist sipping strong chai.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 pm

I think I have about 3 inches, with some funky air suspension system...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think I have about 3 inches, with some funky air suspension system...

Me too!

Oh...wait....you're talking about cars. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Re: Best road to take for cars with low clearance?

Postby TomServo » Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm

cephalopod wrote:I drive a first generation Honda Insight which if youve ever seen one, you know is very low to the ground.
But Im wondering, what would be the safest way in to take for my tiny two seater?
I will either be coming from Reno or from somewhere along route 5 in Oregon (depending on where my travels take me immediately before the burn).

If you're in a Honda, STAY OFF JUNGO ROAD! stick to I-80, and your car will thank you!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby StevenGoodman » Sat May 14, 2011 1:46 pm

The main paved roads and then the entry road are fine in almost any car.

My 2001 Z-28 Camaro with "skirts" has been to BM, Frog Pond and out north on the playa, no problems.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby C187 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:24 pm

ibdave wrote:you will have to be careful when you pull off the road at the entrance. For the 1st 50-75 ft is large crush rock 4-6" range. It tends to pack down for the most part, but it will get kicked up and that would not be good for the Honda. You should be able to steer clear...

It's slightly longer then that and on an incline that also slightly curves. While on it you wont have much room to move around any cones that where knocked over. ibdave is right about how well it's packed, but that doesn't mean a rock slightly bigger then a softball wont pop into the path. But as long as people are going 5mph (they wont, but its nice to wish) the gravel shouldn't be kicked up. - When you turn off the pavement, onto the gravel, take it slow. Same with the gravel to playa transition. Both have slight drops/bumps to them.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Dr Helix » Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I think I have about 3 inches, with some funky air suspension system...

Me too!

Oh...wait....you're talking about cars. :?

We all got at least 6 inches.....at least, that's what we claim.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby LustRazor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:19 am

~bump~

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this info still apply given the predicted 2012 conditions? (dryer, dustier, dune-ier) Thank you to all who posted the above info. It was very helpful during my angst-ridden prep work.
LustRazor

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Above the Limit

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 am

If you have to ask, don't take the back roads.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Transportation