Bike Builders Unite

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Bike Builders Unite

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 pm

/

We need a thread for bike builders..

Looking for bike trailer parts??

:idea: Look at jogger stroller on Craig's list.. They are running from 20$ to 600$.. They would make a fine ice hualer on the playa..

Right now I'm working on a 1960s folding bike.. Yeasterday while repairing a flat.. There was a cellaphain spook gaurd on the wheel.. Will be trying to restore the makers lable next.. It has been painted over.. Can not tell yet if it's a decal on metal.. Next will be finding a rear fender..
unjonharley

Postby dinks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Although I agree with you, I think this board could really benefit from a "fabrication" section. There is a lot of cool shit being made by members and a lot of information could be shared.
dinks

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm

dinks wrote:Although I agree with you, I think this board could really benefit from a "fabrication" section. There is a lot of cool shit being made by members and a lot of information could be shared.

There a few threads on and by contraptioneer in these threads.

Myself, This year am cutting back on the size of projects..
There is always the chance that I will steam punk the shit out of the bike/bikes I bring to the playa along with some good sounds..

Bike building is becoming a big thing in this country.. Little berg up the road (Portland Or.) is a leader in bikes and city riding..

Kenentic art sculptures is another form of bike building.. Racing these forms is a way of proving design and structure. Like salt flat racing for cars. Last year there was a huge camp and art station on the open playa for theses machines.. All bicycles at heart..

Asking people to put thair heads together with me is the Burning Man way..
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm

do bike designers count? Never learned how to weld, but was happy with my bike design. We incorporated Motorcycle parts and random scraps of an old mountain bike. It must have been by pure luck, but the gearing turned out perfect! The bike itself was three times heavier than a normal bike, but it hauled ass on the playa. I was racing to find an ambulance, not test its speed.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 pm

TomServo wrote:do bike designers count? Never learned how to weld, but was happy with my bike design. We incorporated Motorcycle parts and random scraps of an old mountain bike. It must have been by pure luck, but the gearing turned out perfect! The bike itself was three times heavier than a normal bike, but it hauled ass on the playa. I was racing to find an ambulance, not test its speed.

"anything worth doing ..is worth over doing"

I have to buy my welding too.
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:18 pm

The flames, by the Head Tube, I cut myself with a plasma torch. The Chain Stay at the rear wheel, were the front forks off the mountain bike. Mounted my own flame effects, but quickly ran out of Kerosene.

TomServo

Postby dinks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 pm

My problem is that I can weld, but I lack creativity.

only thing I made for last year were the forks on this trike. The bike was wrecked when we got it but we extended the forks by 10" and added a cooler rack.

dinks

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:23 pm

I love trikes! Especially on the playa. Thought about getting a beater and extending the ass end, to make into a Kettenkrad type of vehicle. cant even begin to think of how to gear it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvQspSQnk4[/youtube]

unless it were motorized, I think tracks would be out of the question.

TomServo

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm

TomServo wrote:I love trikes! Especially on the playa. Thought about getting a beater and extending the ass end, to make into a Kettenkrad type of vehicle. cant even begin to think of how to gear it.

Tracks have been tryed on the playa.. The ground friction is bad news..
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 pm

unjonharley wrote:
TomServo wrote:I love trikes! Especially on the playa. Thought about getting a beater and extending the ass end, to make into a Kettenkrad type of vehicle. cant even begin to think of how to gear it.

Tracks have been tryed on the playa.. The ground friction is bad news..

I wonder, if that front wheel was just a novelty. I was thinking a similar design...without tracks, but each set of wheels, behind the drive wheels, pivots behind the first...like a centipede.

TomServo

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 am

/
I dream of a tracked rig on the playa.. Just don't have time time to build one..

: :idea: :idea: How about the riders weight on a dolly inside the tracks :?: :?:
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Sun May 01, 2011 9:12 am

Ive seen em on the playa. Seems tracks = $$$$.

when I hit the lottery, I'm building a full scale Tiger I tank, and putting a Hot Tub inside.

TomServo

Postby Elorrum » Sun May 01, 2011 9:13 am

dinks wrote:My problem is that I can weld, but I lack creativity.

only thing I made for last year were the forks on this trike. The bike was wrecked when we got it but we extended the forks by 10" and added a cooler rack.

Hey, dinks, love that trike. If you want some plenty of ideas for bikes trikes, choppers, check out atomic zombie.com There's a photo gallery of all the builds people have made, I find it very inspiring.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

Elorrum wrote:
dinks wrote:My problem is that I can weld, but I lack creativity.

Hey, dinks, love that trike. If you want some plenty of ideas for bikes trikes, choppers, check out atomic zombie.com There's a photo gallery of all the builds people have made, I find it very inspiring.

Yes I also like that trike.. Just ansewered an add for a free trike frame, fork and brakes. hope it is as funky as yours..
unjonharley

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 am

unjonharley wrote:I have to buy my welding too.

That's just wrong, unjohnharley.

You live just up the road from me. I'll do any welding you need and I won't charge you a dime. Serious, Just send me a PM and let me know what and when, and I'll be up there or you can come down here.

This goes for any burner in this area!
¡Niers!

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 am

Big props Niers! What a great gift.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 am

¡Niers! wrote:
unjonharley wrote:I have to buy my welding too.

That's just wrong, unjohnharley.

You live just up the road from me. I'll do any welding you need and I won't charge you a dime. Serious, Just send me a PM and let me know what and when, and I'll be up there or you can come down here.

This goes for any burner in this area!

I'm down your way twice a month. (about two mile south of the airport) I'll take you up on the offer when needed.. Not into any thing that needs it right now..But thank you in advance..
unjonharley

Postby zupermike » Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Here is a thread with some of my hacked creations :-)

viewtopic.php?t=39075
zupermike

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 pm

/

There is a Radio Flyer, posted on Creag's for 250..In good condition

I do not need another bike

I don not need another bike
unjonharley

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu May 05, 2011 9:43 am

unjonharley wrote:I'm down your way twice a month. (about two mile south of the airport) I'll take you up on the offer when needed.. Not into any thing that needs it right now..But thank you in advance..

Not a Problem! I love what I do, and am good at it. What's more, I enjoy what others come up with for the Burn and know that things aren't cheap....any way I can help squash costs for my fellow burners, I'm in.

So, yeah....anytime friendo!
¡Niers!

Postby dinks » Fri May 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Elorrum wrote:Hey, dinks, love that trike. If you want some plenty of ideas for bikes trikes, choppers, check out atomic zombie.com There's a photo gallery of all the builds people have made, I find it very inspiring.

That site is gonna be trouble for me.. probably 5 things I want to build already.
dinks

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

dinks wrote:
Elorrum wrote:Hey, dinks, love that trike. If you want some plenty of ideas for bikes trikes, choppers, check out atomic zombie.com There's a photo gallery of all the builds people have made, I find it very inspiring.

That site is gonna be trouble for me.. probably 5 things I want to build already.

Bent minds work togeather.. I was building a trike (in my head from the same pic's this morning..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 07, 2011 11:25 am

/

Just brought home a playa bike..

It's a reBike 818, 1998 model.. The last year they were built..

Huffy bought them out.. Then Huffy went belly up.

Everything is clean and working on it.. Took it to a school parking lot for a test ride. It rides a little different than a standard two wheeler..The rider sits in a chair and pushes out with full leg pressure from above the hip.

There is a trailer from a past playa run in the yard. It will fit right up to this new bike..

Now to add a assist motor.. Looks like there is enough room under/behind the seat/chair for one of my crazy contraptions,,

OH OH! and steam punk the hell out of it.. Already have a speed/odometer, weather gauges, volt, amp meter , compuss, sundial and more.. All brass..
Will need an old or retro lock..+
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Sat May 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Check the abus, assa, american, master sites.
Many locks haven't changed.
I can help you get what you want.
And chain, of course.

You could always brass plate or get a brass lock.
Limited strength on the solid though.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 07, 2011 8:08 pm

unjonharley wrote:/

Just brought home a playa bike..

It's a reBike 818, 1998 model.. The last year they were built..

Huffy bought them out.. Then Huffy went belly up.

Everything is clean and working on it.. Took it to a school parking lot for a test ride. It rides a little different than a standard two wheeler..The rider sits in a chair and pushes out with full leg pressure from above the hip.

There is a trailer from a past playa run in the yard. It will fit right up to this new bike.

Now to add a assist motor.. Looks like there is enough room under/behind the seat/chair for one of my crazy contraptions,,

OH OH! and steam punk the hell out of it.. Already have a speed/odometer, weather gauges, volt, amp meter , compuss, sundial and more.. All brass..
Will need an old or retro lock..+

Imagelike this? looks like a lot of chain, sure you can get a motor in their somewhere. even a front hub motor with a wheel that size, you'd have a whole lot of torque. looks comfy too, easy to put your fee down, and still have a nice place to sit for a while. or it would make a super neat trike. :D
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Elorrum wrote: Imagelike this? looks like a lot of chain, sure you can get a motor in their somewhere. even a front hub motor with a wheel that size, you'd have a whole lot of torque. looks comfy too, easy to put your fee down, and still have a nice place to sit for a while. or it would make a super neat trike. :D

A trike it will be.. The trailer I have is a tube frame with an axel. Set the whole rear of the bike into the trailer frame..
Then mount a drive (w/sprocks) axel in place of the rear wheel.. Then add power belt pulley to the drive axel an to the trailer axel.. Finish up with a little art work and paint.

The trailer is the bottom half on a gas welding cart from HF $44 three years ago.. Just took the handle off and tilted it down,,[/quote]
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm

/
Picked up an odd looking wheeled thing today.. (Craig's List)

There are two 12 inch bicycle wheels on a 30X30 inch tube frame.. It has a heavy duty U shaped kickstand and two bolster on top to carry some thing .. It is amy green.. Anyone know what the hell it is????

I'm going to add a tunge and hitch for a bike trailer..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu May 12, 2011 4:26 pm

In line wheels or side by side?
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

gyre wrote:In line wheels or side by side?

Side by side.. The army green is a?? in it's self.

gotta get pictures set up on the thing..
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Golf bag caddy?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to Transportation