5 gallon water coolers / dispensers

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

5 gallon water coolers / dispensers

Postby LittleJack » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 pm

It occurs to me that the main thing I use my 70 quart extreme cooler for is so I can have cool water to drink. I think it would be a much better use of space in my small car to bring up a much smaller cooler for the few other things I want cold, and one of those 5 gallon water coolers, the kind you often see at construction sites or strapped to the back of work trucks. I figure I'd fill it all the way up with ice in Reno and then pour in water to fill it, and then throughout the week just keep adding water and ice as necessary.

Has anyone done this successfully? I don't want to have to get ice every day, or even every other day, so I'm hoping it would keep the ice water cold enough for a few days.

Are there any differences in the insulating properties of these? They all seem remarkably the same.

Thanks,

-LJ
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby AntiM » Fri May 06, 2011 1:19 pm

We use one of those orange cooler containers, put a bag of crushed ice into it every second or third day. All depends on what else goes into it at what temp. Once we get the ice melt going, we don't add much extra water. Ours is always vaguely lemon gatoraide~ish as we dump packets of electrolytes in it. We still have a food cooler and a drink cooler, mostly for beer and powerade and juices.

Edited to add: we have three to five people using it, hence the faster ice melt/water use.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jlaux42 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

You might be able to insulate a water cooler semi-effectively with blankets and/or mylar and a judicious application of duct tape. I've brought my water to Burning Man in boxes of gallon jugs from the grocery store in Winnemucca usually, and if it sits on the cool playa at night and stays in the shade during the day, it's been cool enough to drink without ice (for me).
jlaux42

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 06, 2011 3:25 pm

/

THe Coleman xtrem is in the garage sale now.. Asking $20 so I can buy a water/cooler @ Home Depot $19.. Already found two round plastic containers to frezze block ice in, the same shape as the cooler.. Also have a plastic (round tray for left overs on top of the ice.. Will have to add a chopstick size spacer at the bottom.. So the ice wont block the outlet..

I always wrap the coolers in a couple of $ store windsheld foils and a blanket.

Trying to go the not cooler food rout this year.. It should save space and weight.
Also less camp.. Less Camp More Fun Time..
unjonharley

Return to Food & Drink