Calling all UK Burners

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Calling all UK Burners

Postby Ninzy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am

Ok so i'm a first timer and it has been suggested on other forums on eplaya (I thought I would bring it to one thread) that if anyone else from the UK - first timers or not - wanna get together, get to know each other, share the knowledge, the cost and the love?

Me personally i'm a lil intimidated going on my own (though I have been reassured by many on here NOT TO BE) and was thinking that there may be others in my boat!

Shout back if anyone else wants in!

Ninzy
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby graidawg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 pm

okies i am putting my name down!
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby graidawg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 am

HEY I'VE SEEN A FEW LONDON AND UK BURNERS PUT POSTS UP.

PUT YOUR NAMES HERE.

if you want to meet other uk burners anyway
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby shykat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 am

My other half (the kat in the shaykat username) is from peterbourgh.
We have both been to the burn before and we camp in the open areas.
You will have no problem camping anole and will find many people to hang with,being from the uk or not.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

heh

Postby Ninzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry, i've been absent for a lil while - Grai - whats happening? You sorted out plans (please don't say you've been waiting on my lazy ass!)

I know camping alone sounds like its safe but I think its more to do with the fact that it may be a lil daunting on first timers like me!

Anyone want in in starting the party here and get London Burning (lol), I know there is a London meet every 3rd Thursday off the month but thinking we could add another one to this - like a Saturday/Sunday!

Chip in, meet here at LGW/LHR and fly out get an RV or camp sorted - awesome!
Ninzy

heh

Postby Ninzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Sorry, i've been absent for a lil while - Grai - whats happening? You sorted out plans (please don't say you've been waiting on my lazy ass!)

I know camping alone sounds like its safe but I think its more to do with the fact that it may be a lil daunting on first timers like me!

Anyone want in in starting the party here and get London Burning (lol), I know there is a London meet every 3rd Thursday off the month but thinking we could add another one to this - like a Saturday/Sunday!

Ninzy

Re: heh

Postby graidawg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Ninzy wrote:Sorry, i've been absent for a lil while - Grai - whats happening? You sorted out plans (please don't say you've been waiting on my lazy ass!)

Hi ninzy! of course i have i am a total slacker! i have many things sorted, if all else fails errr someone help please! ive neen reading the this is so wrong thread and the lake my art for me thread and my heads full of snark!
ok - the london meet is this thursday, i am moving this saturday and going to the sheffield meet for the fireworks collective next sunday.
give me a day or 2 and i will pass on usefull info - i;m a little frazzled at the monent
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

heh

Postby Ninzy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Its cool Grai

Any more first timers going on Thursday?
Ninzy

Postby StewieJT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 am

Hi Ninzy

Like you I will be a first timer this year on my own! I live in London too. I will have a search for info about the monthly meets.

I am happy to have a travel partner. I am flying into San Francisco a few days before the festival.

Stewart
StewieJT

Happy to meet burners - I am new this year

Postby jasonavery » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Hiya,
I am happy to meet burners. I am new this year, am flying into San Fran on about Thurs/Fri. Am renting a 4x4 and wandering on over to Nevada. Plenty of room for other people if you want a lift over.
J x
jasonavery

Postby StewieJT » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 am

I arrive in San Francisco on Friday 26th at 5.30 pm. Happy to chip in with the rental costs if I can tag along. Are you going to any of the meet-ups in London?
StewieJT

Postby Super » Fri May 06, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm a UK burner, but I live in Canada these days....

However, I'm going to be camping with the Lost Penguin Cafe this year, which normally is on the Esplanade at around the 4.00 to 4.30 streets.

Feel free to pop in and say hi if you make it to Black Rock City this year! I love to meet burners from my home country, and provide some Anglo-Canadian love.

Super
Super

Postby DullBedsitBloke » Sat May 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi!

I am coming to Burning Man yay after 12 years of thinking about it.

Are there any UK burner meet ups?

I am based in Brighton

I am working at Sunrise festival next week and at Glastonbury.

If anyone fancies saying hello and chit chat type stuff let me know.
I should try and think of a witty Signature
DullBedsitBloke

Postby Savannah » Sat May 28, 2011 3:09 pm

BedSitBloke, your video about deciding to go is very funny. I like the dramatic music you put in there seconds before you announced your destination. Also, your worry that you will be all alone with a bunch of hippies (ya hippie--I see that hair; those piercings). Anyway! Unlikely. But I do not say that without sympathy. My first year I sniffled all the way to the drop-off spot 'cause I was scared no one would like me.

Since you're going on the Green Tortoise you'll probably meet Zed, whose nickname on here is Age-of-Aquarius. He's not a Londoner, though, but from South Africa. I know because of him that the Green Tortoise website is less that perfectly explicit about the fact that you will need to bring a tent. (Because for some of their adventures, you don't--but for this one, you do).

Why is it so fun to say bedsit? 'Cos it really is.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby DullBedsitBloke » Sat May 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Savannah

I admit it I might just have a slight essence of hippy!javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
DullBedsitBloke

Re: Calling all UK Burners

Postby DullBedsitBloke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 am

I am a first time Burner and Burningman is getting nearer!!! I have lots of questions Any Burners based in Brighton i can quiz over a pint?
DullBedsitBloke

Postby nickfourmillion » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi UK Burners!

Me and a mate just signed up, and I got to admit we havent got a clue! We've got flights, tickets and nothing else bar some good old fashioned naive enthusiasm...

We were all set to get a big RV, but they're all sold out!

ANY advice from people who've been before would be greatly appreciated, Specifically:

Anyone Know anywhere that still has RVs left to hire? we've spent a long time looking, so only if you're sure they have something left...
    Our current best option is a 6-seater SUV with aircon which we're hoping we can sleep in. Has anyone tried this?
    Anyone know if there are any other options are for accommodation if we don't have a vehicle to kip in? obviously we can bring a tent, but we've been told this isn't a good idea due to the dust and heat. Are there any paid options, or sharing-a-vehicle options?
    Is there really NOWHERE to buy food and water? will we need to bring EVERYTHING?

We're kind of hoping that there are other accommodation options so we can hire a Ford Mustang Convertible!

Nick
nickfourmillion

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Nick, luv! Half the city camps in a tent. :lol: I have! 6 times. It's admittedly hard to sleep past 8:30 or 9:00am in a tent, yes, due to heat. I go to bed at 2am or 3am because of it. (No skin off my nose; my favorite stuff happens during the day). So if you have a tent, you will want a separate shade structure to escape to in the morning, stake it with rebar & good rope--not slippery stuff--from one of Reno's 3 Home Depot stores. (And don't forget to top your rebar with tennis balls or plastic pop bottles.) There are links all over the Q&A Tips and Tricks forum about shade structures. I found this one by entering eplaya shade structure into Google:

viewtopic.php?t=23569

And this from entering monkey hut into Google
http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

If you don't get an RV share, 2-seater cargo vans are better than RVs . . . they carry more stuff, and they're usually cheaper than SUVs. But I don't blame you for being interested in an RV situation, especially if it's the oft-mentioned magic number of four riders. Post here: http://rideshare.burningman.com

And meet regional contacts by going to the main site and clicking "Regionals" then on the map 'til you find your area, and sign up for their lists. (That's the best way to meet locals, rather than in this Regionals & Events forum.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby graidawg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 am

nickfourmillion wrote:Hi UK Burners!

Me and a mate just signed up, and I got to admit we havent got a clue! We've got flights, tickets and nothing else bar some good old fashioned naive enthusiasm...

We were all set to get a big RV, but they're all sold out!

ANY advice from people who've been before would be greatly appreciated, Specifically:

Anyone Know anywhere that still has RVs left to hire? we've spent a long time looking, so only if you're sure they have something left... probably nowhere and they are expensive, though a few people have spaces available
    Our current best option is a 6-seater SUV with aircon which we're hoping we can sleep in. Has anyone tried this? nope - i here good things about box trucks (we call them lutons
    Anyone know if there are any other options are for accommodation if we don't have a vehicle to kip in? obviously we can bring a tent, but we've been told this isn't a good idea due to the dust and heat. Are there any paid options, or sharing-a-vehicle options? no there is nothing provided you need to bring everything- absolutely everything
    Is there really NOWHERE to buy food and water? will we need to bring EVERYTHING? yep including alcohol and toilet paper, which needs to be single ply

We're kind of hoping that there are other accommodation options so we can hire a Ford Mustang Convertible! copycat! im getting one after the burn to drive back to vegas

Nick

seriously Nick there isnt a lot of time left, you need to read the survival guide and first timers guide thoroughly (its on the main web page) then add to that things you cant live without, like alcohol and coffee, remember that its hot bread and fresh produce dont last long.
if you are on doubt use google type your question and add burning man- read as many of the threads in the tips and tricks section as you can and think sound helpful. look up halcyon on eplaya, he does lots of videos that will help you get in the right frame of mind.
buy womens clothes - nice ones, chicks dig guys in skirts.
DO NOT FORGET WATER YOU NEED 6+ LITRES A DAY
it gets cold at night i am told bring a coat, or something warm
bring torches and something you can attach to yourself so you can be seen at night, or you will get run over and squished and go to hospital in reno, which i imagine will spoil your trip.
DO NOT ASK FOR DRUGS - YOU WILL ASK AN UNDERCOVER POLICEMAN AND BE FINED UP TO $10,000 ON THE SPOT, IF YOU CANT PAY THEY WILL TAKE YOU TOO PRISON. I imagine this will also spoil your trip.

there you go edited highlights of my 6+ months of planning. try and start earlier next time.
any other questions? i will answer and try not to be too snarky (sarcastic )
see you in our dusty home ;)
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Return to Regionals & Events