DO YOU KNOW THESE GIRLS? Photo permission needed

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

DO YOU KNOW THESE GIRLS? Photo permission needed

Postby philosophicguy » Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 pm

A French magazine wants to use this photo and I need to locate the two girls for permission.

Photo here from BM 2008:

http://burnmonkey.com/burning_man_2008/ ... large.html

Please help me locate them!
Thanks,
Phil Steele
www.burnmonkey.com
phil at burnmonkey dot com
philosophicguy

Postby Isotopia » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Does it matter whether or not you get their permission?

I'm still under the impression that photos taken at the event are not to be used for commercial gain.
Isotopia

Postby jella » Thu May 05, 2011 9:25 pm

Isotopia wrote:Does it matter whether or not you get their permission?

I'm still under the impression that photos taken at the event are not to be used for commercial gain.

+1
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby dr.placebo » Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

It's a little more complicated. According to http://www.burningman.com/press/:
Burning Man is a private event, and professional photographers and ALL moving film and video camera users are required to sign use agreements that will be emailed upon approval of a project. Our review and written permission is required to use any image from the event commercially or publicly; no public use of images is allowed without this written consent.

It is possible that the photographer already has permission from BM, but needs it from the subjects. It is possible that this is a case where a picture not originally intended to be commercial now has some commercial value. Other possibilities exist, no doubt. I'd be slow to judge, here.
dr.placebo

Postby jella » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 pm

dr.placebo wrote:It's a little more complicated. According to http://www.burningman.com/press/:
Burning Man is a private event, and professional photographers and ALL moving film and video camera users are required to sign use agreements that will be emailed upon approval of a project. Our review and written permission is required to use any image from the event commercially or publicly; no public use of images is allowed without this written consent.

It is possible that the photographer already has permission from BM, but needs it from the subjects. It is possible that this is a case where a picture not originally intended to be commercial now has some commercial value. Other possibilities exist, no doubt. I'd be slow to judge, here.

Point well taken Dr Placebo
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Laughing Forest » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Agreed.
Laughing Forest

Postby Sic Pup » Fri May 06, 2011 5:03 am

dr.placebo wrote: be slow to judge, here.

Wait...... what?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sham » Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 am

If anyone can locate them, can I get their phone numbers please! :D
Sham

Postby gyre » Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 am

Great shot.

Most photographers ask for permission, when possible, whether it is a legal requirement or not.
gyre

Re: DO YOU KNOW THESE GIRLS? Photo permission needed

Postby Bob » Mon May 09, 2011 8:40 am

philosophicguy wrote:Please help me locate them!

In your dreams.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby philosophicguy » Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 am

FYI for those who asked - I need permission from both the girls and the BM organization under the terms of my photographer contract with BM. Usually I get model releases on the spot from the subjects but this was a fast candid shot while moving, and I didn't get their info. The BM org has to approve all commercial use of images, such as photos for this French magazine story on BM. I'm working with BM and the magazine to come up with an alternate photo, but I would have like to use this one, which was their first choice. C'est la vie.
Phil Steele
philosophicguy

Return to Experiences at Burning Man