Charter Flight for 2012 Burningman

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Charter Flight for 2012 Burningman

Postby kihlbahkt » Mon May 02, 2011 11:06 am

This is for next year 2012. I am currently looking into a charter flight for 2012. The plan is that I drive there and my wife flies in later and I need people to share the expense of a charter flight out of Denver to BRC.
I am wating for a quote that I image will be huge. They have planes that can hold 5-8 people. and their crap. It is a one way charter. Anyone interested?
kihlbahkt

Postby Isotopia » Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 pm

HINT: try to find someone that has a Pilatus PC-6 to charter. They carry considerably more cargo than any 5-6 person jet (or prop) carrier.

Isotopia

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 02, 2011 5:03 pm

You probably know about Advantage Air http://www.advantageflight.com/ which operates a shuttle between Reno and BRC? There are some pilot skills required to fly in and not everyone wants to bring their plane there.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Personal Jetpack may be an option

Postby kihlbahkt » Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 am

AdvantageFlight will fly me from Denver to Reno for 1600$ an hour plus expenses and then from Reno to BRC for 250$ one way(2011 prices). Too bad I dont have cash for such purposes. Seems the only way to do this would be to have at least 10 people to share charter costs up front out of and then fly from Denver, in style to the playa. I dont think that the logistics will work out but if anyone is interested I will keep a running list of potential flyers for 2012. Of course my plans may change( hit by bus or whatnot) since I am planning so far ahead for 2012.
kihlbahkt

Postby graidawg » Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 am

$1600 an hour? jeez i am in the wrong business - thats clear profit considering its plus expenses........
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby kihlbahkt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

From a different charter airline in Denver I can charter an 18 person jet for ~18,000$. only a thousand bucks a head. Benefactor needed.
kihlbahkt

Postby Dustdevil » Tue May 03, 2011 4:29 pm

graidawg wrote:$1600 an hour? jeez i am in the wrong business - thats clear profit considering its plus expenses........

It is obvious that you haven't paid insurance, paid for the required inspections or paid for PIC time. Expenses would be fuel, oil and ramp fees, if any. Any plane that is flown for hire requires more frequent and more stringent inspections. It is really expensive to maintain and fly an aircraft for hire. Depending on how many people it will carry, it sounds like a bargain to me.

To the OP,

It might be worth looking for a private pilot who is flying in and sharing the fuel and expensive with him/her. A private pilot cannot charge you for his services (unless he/she holds a commercial rating) but you are allowed to contribute to the cost of getting there.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

dang ole money

Postby kihlbahkt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm

i appreciate the input but I have realized that this is only a fantasy for me due to the cost prohibitions. i will already be dropping plently of cash in prep, journey and tix.
kihlbahkt

Postby Sham » Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm

I am chartering a jet from Boston and flying to Reno along with 140 other people heading that way. My cost for this flight is about $240. The charter company is called United Airlines!
Sham

oh you!

Postby kihlbahkt » Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am

Shambala...You are not actually chartering that airliner. It is a commerical flight. Legally not the same thing. UA and TSA can go suck it. I will be driving.
kihlbahkt

Postby Sham » Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Well, you're right. I am really sharing the plane with a bunch of other people. No sarcasm intended, but just trying to illustrate that it's really inexpensive to fly a commercial airline instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. I fly to Reno and rent a car. By the time I'm done flying and renting a car for the week, I'm looking at around $1000 total.
Even if money were no object, I think it's still much easier and effortless to use the commercial offerings for cars and flights.
I have my choice of flights (of course) and can shop for supplies at my leisure then drive to BRC with a big-ass SUV filled with camp supplies.
Sham

Postby Miles » Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 am

Will be heading out from Denver as well. PM me if interested in carpools and/or caravans.
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 am

I have my private pilot's license, and the thought of landing a plane at burningman makes me quiver. Since the gusts can get up to 50+ kts. that makes for a sketchy landing. I'm sure I'm not even close to being the best pilot, but I know what I am doing. Not to mention (like some seeing eye said)
It would also be tough to find someone that's willing to bring their plane there. If I had my own plane, I wouldn't want to expose it to that kind of dust. Sounds like a nightmare.
On the other hand, I would love to charter a plane in from Reno....only if I knew the pilot had experience in Black Rock desert flights. $250 is not a bad price at all. I'd pay that.
I think it would be amazing flying over BRC.
¡Niers!

Postby Dustdevil » Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Actually landing is really pleasant. You have a ton of runway and while the winds can be strong, crosswinds are not really and issue. I have been told by some pilots that the lack of markings and the length of runway is a little visually challenging. To me it is like landing a seaplane. There is no hurry so just let her stop flying. Set your altimeter and trust your instruments. You will do just fine.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Well, I guess I'll just have to head over there and check it out.
I don't have a plane so I doubt I'll ever have a chance to try a landing there.
Shame since I've been attending BM, not once have I made it over to the airport. I've meant to, but you know.....distractions. I'll do it this year for sure.
But yeah, I'd totally fork over the money to charter a plane over from Reno. The arial photos I've seen of BRC, I'm sure don't do it justice. One day, perhaps a jump.
¡Niers!

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 23, 2011 3:30 pm

¡Niers!, The airport has a variety of volunteer positions. It operates as a gate with greeters, and all the in and out for overflights. But it is very chill, arrivers haven't been cooped in a car for hours or waited in line. There is also a bar and lounge and usually a pancake breakfast party later in the week. I think it is the least dusty camping location with the prevailing winds. So I think drive in pilots might enjoy volunteering. Send email now to the address for the airport on the BM site, volunteer positions fill fast. The aviation page and the afterburn reports are informative.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

some seeing eye wrote:¡Niers!, The airport has a variety of volunteer positions. It operates as a gate with greeters, and all the in and out for overflights. But it is very chill, arrivers haven't been cooped in a car for hours or waited in line. There is also a bar and lounge and usually a pancake breakfast party later in the week. I think it is the least dusty camping location with the prevailing winds. So I think drive in pilots might enjoy volunteering. Send email now to the address for the airport on the BM site, volunteer positions fill fast. The aviation page and the afterburn reports are informative.

I'ma have to do that! An even better idea! Thanks! I never thought of it.
See you at the BRC International Airport!
¡Niers!

Postby leifaldrin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:35 am

But I think it is worthy. i will keep to be here to see more updates.
Simple , humble and fun loving man.
leifaldrin

Re: oh you!

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:17 pm

kihlbahkt wrote:Shambala...You are not actually chartering that airliner. It is a commerical flight. Legally not the same thing. UA and TSA can go suck it. I will be driving.

*face palm*
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: Charter Flight for 2012 Burningman

Postby andy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:11 pm

It's actually true that an air charter could work, but only as far as Reno. If you have a location that has alot of burners and doesn't have non-stop service to Reno, you could get a half-decent rate and more importantly negotiate a low rate for baggage, since Burrners need to carry alot of stuff for the week. Chartering a Boeing 737 for a 5-hour trip between Atlanta and Reno, for instance, might be $8,000/hr or about $40K. Divided among 132 passengers that's about $300/pp each way, or $600/rt. Not a cheap flight, but you could probably negotiate lots of extra baggage allowance, and you could leave when you choose to. Finally, because you would probably use the executive terminals, there would be much less issue with hauling stuff through the airport - for example charter busses might be able to pull right up to the plane or nearby to get you to the playa.

As far as charters to BRC itself, you are limited to very small aircraft, typically 1 pilot + 5 passengers max. Large jets cannot land on the playa. And yes, $250 each way from Reno sounds pricy, but remember that these guys almost certainly fly deadhead one way on each round trip, since nobody leaves at the start of week and nobody arrives at the end of the week. Plus no one can really survive a week at BM with the very very limited baggage weight that these small planes allow. You really aren't being radically self-sufficient as someone else will be hauling in your camp and gear.
andy

Re: Charter Flight for 2012 Burningman

Postby andy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:02 pm

In chatting with a friend who is a pilot, I now feel charter to BM won't work. Here's why:

1) You won't get anything larger than about a 6-seater (including pilot) to land on the playa.

2) You can charter a large jet from any city to Reno, no problem, but even if you fill every seat it will be costlier than commercial, because the charter company doesn't have a continuing flight from Reno, so they either have to park the plane for 7 days in Reno (with no revenue) and fly the crew out and back in, or fly it empty to it's next destination at your expense. In addition, commercial carriers ship air cargo on most of their flights which helps keep your costs down. Without this ability, your costs will be higher.
andy

Return to 2012 Share Resources