Hexayurt Help

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hexayurt Help

Postby heff » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey Guys, I Am coming over from Australia again for my second burn and am really interested in building a hexayurt for my camp.

I am limited in time but will be in San Fran for a few days then driving up to BRC.

Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on the insulating material needed for building one of these amazing things.

Also does anyone know if Burners without Borders will want our hexayurt after the burn as i will be flying back home and will not be able to take it with me.

Cheers

Heff
heff

Postby jkisha » Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm

You should be able to get the panels at any home improvement store. Home Depot for sure. I'm not sure what the closest store would be, but I'm guessing Oakland. Somebody from SF might be able to answer that better.

Additionally, I'd try to pre-order your panels just to make sure they have enough in stock when you arrive.

But you most likely will not be able to find the tape anywhere and should have it ordered and in hand before you arrive. Six inch wide bi-directional filament tape is not stocked anywhere I know of.

In the states you can order it from findtape.com but you might be able to find a supplier in Australia.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby heff » Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks for the help , I will look into bringing the tape over before hand, im also flying over to the UK for 3 weeks prior so might be a ble to pick it up on the way to the burn
heff

Postby lucky420 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 am

I've also ordered the 6 inch bi-directional tape from goodguys.com. Just another resource for you.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ConnieH » Tue May 03, 2011 10:02 am

In a pinch, 3 inch Gorilla tape will work. A friend built a hexayurt last minute last year and didn't have time to order the right tape. I gave him what I had left, which was just about enough to go around the band, but the rest was held together with Gorilla tape and it did fine. He also taped the edges of the panels with Gorilla tape. I was doubtful, but it held well.
ConnieH

Postby StickyChron » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm

If you're driving up from San Francisco, you can stop at the Home Depot literally right off Interstate 80, which is the route you would be taking most likely. Their location is HUGE, and I'm sure they could order whatever you needed before hand, possibly even the tape if you special order it? My troops and I decided yesterday that we're building a two yurt+monkeyhut mega camp this year. I've been reading nonstop and I'm super excited, good luck and hope to see you on the playa.

EDIT: I'm going to be pricing the building materials for a 12' Hexayurt, in a few days. California taxes and shit, if you want I can post the quote on here so you can get an ideal of what you're spending American dollars? :idea:
StickyChron

Postby heff » Wed May 04, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks stickychron id love to know what im up for.

Also does anyone know what I can do wwith it after the burn. Wont really be able to get it flown back, to australia.

And thanks lucky ill be trying to mail order some before I head there.
heff

Postby ConnieH » Wed May 04, 2011 8:30 am

heff wrote:Thanks stickychron id love to know what im up for.

Also does anyone know what I can do wwith it after the burn. Wont really be able to get it flown back, to australia.

And thanks lucky ill be trying to mail order some before I head there.

I have no doubt you can find someone who would take the yurt off your hands...I like your idea about donating it to Burners without Borders, or I imagine DPW would take it, too - those folks stay on playa well after the event, upgrading to a yurt might be nice for some of them. If you can't find a taker, I'll take it ;-)
ConnieH

Postby lucky420 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 am

Order your tape from one of the resources mentioned. I would not count on home depot to have it or for them to have it there if you special ordered it. Shit happens and it might not be there. Of course if that happens you can go with the 3 inch wide gorilla tape that Connie mentioned...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby StickyChron » Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am

lucky420 wrote:Order your tape from one of the resources mentioned. I would not count on home depot to have it or for them to have it there if you special ordered it. Shit happens and it might not be there. Of course if that happens you can go with the 3 inch wide gorilla tape that Connie mentioned...

I wouldn't count on it either, but if you have them order some, why not have extra?
StickyChron

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 04, 2011 11:19 am

StickyChron wrote:If you're driving up from San Francisco, you can stop at the Home Depot literally right off Interstate 80...

Is that Hercules, Fairfield, Sacramento, Reno? They set those things up to be seen from the freeways. I think there's one in Richmond, too...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby StickyChron » Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 am

I was talking about Vacaville.
StickyChron

Return to Shelter & Camping