Black Rock City's Next Top Assassin

Black Rock City's Next Top Assassin

Postby TheBrilliantHen » Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 am

Do you have what it takes to be Black Rock City's Next Top Assassin?!

Trashistan will be conducting a competition based loosely on the game sometimes known as "assassin" or "gotcha." We have modified the game to suit the constraints of the playa.

Here's how to play:

-Come by Trashistan and pick up your game token.
-During the day, wear the token prominently on your chest when you want to play, remove it when you do not.
-Kill weapon is a water gun or spray gun. Bring one to the playa or procure one. Size (and range) are not everything, but they may help. It's best not to use something which could be mistaken for a real gun.
-Your target is not a specific person. This is a free for all between all players. While wearing a token, you may kill anyone with a token, and be killed by anyone with a token. Kills only count if both of you are wearing your token.
-Simultaneous kills are possible if shots are fired before received.
-If you are killed, you must remove one token (presumably, the one you are wearing) and give it to your killer.
-Once killed, you may don another token from your bank of kill trophies, or sit on your laurels and bank what you have.
-Resourceful assassins may find other ways to procure tokens, including but not limited to convincing Trashistan to give you another (perhaps the most difficult method).
-The Temple is a safe zone. No kills within temple walls. You may wish to remove your token when visiting the Temple in order to avoid ambushes when leaving...or not, as you see fit.
-The competition opens Monday morning as soon as Trashistan wakes up.
-The competition continues through Friday day. Submit your game tokens before sundown Friday, when the winner will be declared.

Winner receives the grand prize, along with the coveted title, "Black Rock City's Next Top Assassin."

You can find Black Rock City's Next Top Assassin on facebook, and we will eventually have a web page outside facebook, for those of you wise enough to avoid the necronomicon that wants to swallow your soul.

Please spread the word and/or post your opinions and/or questions here, so we can get a little publicity, eh?! We are interested in any gameplay suggestions you may have, as well.
TheBrilliantHen

Postby graidawg » Sun May 01, 2011 11:37 am

when i was younger we used to play this with many different wepons the most implausible being a banana and shouting bang.
also you could mail clocks to people as bombs.
however i imagine that BRC has limited mailing oppurtunities

It does however sound fun and leads to many many possible entertaining strategies because everyone knows the english make the best assasins . . . .
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby capjbadger » Sun May 01, 2011 11:48 am

YES!!!!

I played with the idea myself a few years back, but always had too many projects and such to run a game.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

graidawg wrote:however i imagine that BRC has limited mailing oppurtunities

Actually, there is a post office in center camp. I think you have to bribe the surly clerks to take the mail in, but anyone can deliver it, as I understand.
It also has a cancellation mark, so you can get something canceled as coming from BRC.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby graidawg » Sun May 01, 2011 1:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Actually, there is a post office in center camp. I think you have to bribe the surly clerks to take the mail in, but anyone can deliver it, as I understand.
It also has a cancellation mark, so you can get something canceled as coming from BRC.

i could mail stuff from BRC to england? that would rock! postcards from a city that isnt there! woo hoo
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby capjbadger » Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 pm

graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

i could mail stuff from BRC to england? that would rock! postcards from a city that isnt there! woo hoo

Yes, there is a fully disfunctional post office while the city is there.
I got a care package from friends back home through them last year. :)

Ok, back to plotting! :twisted:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby jkisha » Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Sounds like a fun idea. Though if I were playing, I would either forget I was wearing the token and get killed or be so concentrated on playing that I miss half the sites of the city. :(
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 01, 2011 4:33 pm

graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

bring your own stamps, they only have first class within the states, if they have anything.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Sun May 01, 2011 5:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

bring your own stamps, they only have first class within the states, if they have anything.

thank you fishy now to go complain as to why Great Britain is group country 5 i mean its going to cost me an extra 18 cents to mail a postcard! anyone would think you 'mericans didn't have a special relationship with us.......

I sometimes thin that special relationship means we get a reach around

edited to add i am going to look forward to assinating (thats like assisinating but much much more fun) some american wannabee's lol (i am going to die soooo quickly if i play)

oh safe zone suggestion = hundred yards round the camp. you know because if i came up with a plan so will someone else........
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby fbcota » Sun May 01, 2011 11:15 pm

This makes me soo happy, if I remember its on!
fbcota

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:18 am

graidawg wrote:edited to add i am going to look forward to assinating (thats like assisinating but much much more fun) some american wannabee's lol (i am going to die soooo quickly if i play)

oh safe zone suggestion = hundred yards round the camp. you know because if i came up with a plan so will someone else........

Wannabees eh? Last I checked, we got Osama, not the UK. You couldn't beat us in 1775-1783, nor in 1812-1815 and not even when you supported our enemy in 1861-1865. The best you've got is James Bond, and he's Scottish. ;P lol

Your safe zone is simple. Take off the token. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby graidawg » Mon May 02, 2011 1:46 am

capjbadger wrote:
graidawg wrote:edited to add i am going to look forward to assinating (thats like assisinating but much much more fun) some american wannabee's lol (i am going to die soooo quickly if i play)

Wannabees eh? Last I checked, we got Osama, not the UK. You couldn't beat us in 1775-1783, nor in 1812-1815 and not even when you supported our enemy in 1861-1865. The best you've got is James Bond, and he's Scottish. ;P lol

-Badger

hey the only reason you have ever won against us is we let you. At least we have Bond, you guys have whats his name. . . . . er oh yea you dont have an equivalent :twisted:
i wouldnt call the second war you mentioned a win, you guys on your home turf couldnt beat us even though we were busy with napoleon and we still gave you a few sound thrashings!

And sided with the enemy in a civil war? hmmm anyway there are some still think that ones still going on, hasnt texas threatened secession recently?

i had to look all of those dates up on wikipedia i confess

this is definately a case of see you on the playa (jeez i am so asking for a soaking here)
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 am

graidawg wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

-Badger

hey the only reason you have ever won against us is we let you. At least we have Bond, you guys have whats his name. . . . . er oh yea you dont have an equivalent :twisted:
i wouldnt call the second war you mentioned a win, you guys on your home turf couldnt beat us even though we were busy with napoleon and we still gave you a few sound thrashings!

And sided with the enemy in a civil war? hmmm anyway there are some still think that ones still going on, hasnt texas threatened secession recently?

this is definately a case of see you on the playa (jeez i am so asking for a soaking here)

Ummm... Hello? Jack Bauer? Jim Phelps? Jason Bourne? Maxwell Smart?? :P
*sigh* How soon they forget... ;)

Let us win? Oh please... They fought damn hard to keep the colonies, and damn near did it if your generals hadn't been more worried about personal glory rather than winning the actual war.
As for 1812, yeah, neither side gained any land, but we got you to stop taking our sailors and you never tried to invade again. Plus we thrashed you at New York, Baltimore and New Orleans. The whole affair was pretty much an expensive stalemate for both sides.

Yes, the UK was building warships for the south. You ended up paying us a lot of money for the damage caused by those ships.
Last I checked, no one outside of a few fringe nutjobs have mentioned leaving the union in a long time. :)

I did too to make sure I had the dates right

Yep, a soaking you will have. Beware watery boobytraps buddy... :twisted:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby graidawg » Mon May 02, 2011 2:57 am

Jack Bauer? Jim Phelps? Jason Bourne? Maxwell Smart??

oh please renegades, mistakes and comedic characters. not one is what they are meant to be. they spend more time fighting there own government than the enemy. though i will admit bourne could probably take Bond.
jack bauer would get a kicking from bond and the other two dont count.

somehow i think getting soaked in the desert will be a good thing, cooling and refreshing and i am famous for my ability to die well, having spent 12 years losing a lot in medieval combat and the like.

actually i am thinking of all the ways some theme camps could get a lot of kills now.

dont you love wikipedia? supporting pointless arguments since 2001 (looked up on wiki as well)
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Bob » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 am

Sounds great, but anyone within a mile of that stupid fucking temple should be fair game, or acceptable collateral damage.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sail Man » Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am

graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

yep, just make sure to bring stamps, postcards, envelopes etc as they don't sell them there. They also make great gifting items.

Just don't try to mail playa dust home. Those whacky postal nuts will think it's anthrax :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 am

graidawg wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

-Badger

Well then, there's always Thunderdome instead :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 pm

graidawg wrote:Jack Bauer? Jim Phelps? Jason Bourne? Maxwell Smart??

oh please renegades, mistakes and comedic characters. not one is what they are meant to be. they spend more time fighting there own government than the enemy. though i will admit bourne could probably take Bond.

somehow i think getting soaked in the desert will be a good thing, cooling and refreshing and i am famous for my ability to die well, having spent 12 years losing a lot in medieval combat and the like.

actually i am thinking of all the ways some theme camps could get a lot of kills now.

dont you love wikipedia? supporting pointless arguments since 2001 (looked up on wiki as well)

Hey now... Don't diss Mr. Smart. He'll beat you with a shoephone. ;)

Oh? What medieval combat? SCA?

I can see some camps forming their own hit squad teams and hunting in packs. Lone assassin vs a team. Lone guy has no chance if the team does things right. :twisted:

hahaaha yeah

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby graidawg » Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm

capjbadger wrote:
graidawg wrote:Jack Bauer? Jim Phelps? Jason Bourne? Maxwell Smart??

Hey now... Don't diss Mr. Smart. He'll beat you with a shoephone. ;)

Oh? What medieval combat? SCA?

I can see some camps forming their own hit squad teams and hunting in packs. Lone assassin vs a team. Lone guy has no chance if the team does things right. :twisted:

hahaaha yeah

-Badger

SCA? I'm not sure more beating each other with swords etc.
there are many many many ways this could get silly very very quickly. which is excellent
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Rule suggestion:
"No Immortality Rule"
No "dead man" bombs that go off when the attacker comes up to take the token. Otherwise the dead man would just get a token again for the kill and thus become basically unkillable by these "playa rules". (using extra tokens to "respawn")

Rule would look something like:
"You may only kill a target if you are currently "alive" and wearing your token in a visible manner. Any other loophole that would allow a "Immortality effect" to occur that we didn't thnk of is also disallowed."

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

graidawg wrote:SCA? I'm not sure more beating each other with swords etc.
there are many many many ways this could get silly very very quickly. which is excellent

I've been sword fighting due to Ren Faires for the past 15 years, so I was curious what group you were fighting with. :)

Yeah, which is why I'm currently thinking of rules exploits so I can suggest new rules to close the loopholes. It's the QA tester in me. Can't help it. ;)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Rule Suggestion:
"Don't kill civilans Rule"
No "tripwire", autonomous style "bombs", landmnes, etc. No device that a non-player can trigger.
Devices that the attacker directly triggers (string pull, remote, etc) so that only the target is hit are allowed.

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm

@TheBrilliantHen

Hmm.. I just re-read the rules.
"-Kill weapon is a water gun or spray gun. Bring one to the playa or procure one. Size (and range) are not everything, but they may help. It's best not to use something which could be mistaken for a real gun. "

Only water guns? No water ballons (picking up the MOOP of course), buckets, claymores, etc?

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 pm

i got dibbs on Ygmir's Firetruck....

everyone
gets wet, let larry sort them out afterwards.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i got dibbs on Ygmir's Firetruck....

everyone

I thought this was "Assassins", not "Carpet Bombing Run 2011". ;)

*Moves Simon to top of list*

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 02, 2011 2:04 pm

i play to win.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm

and i'll be bringing TWO dopplegangers with me instead of my usual one, so good fucking luck tracking the real me down...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Mon May 02, 2011 2:12 pm

everyone

*tosses keys to Simon*

I might propose, we "dose" the water with patchouli, and maybe blue dye, so, as to identify "hippy smurfs" later..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Unless we get a LOT of players, good fucking luck tracking ANYONE down. It will be a needle in a haystack hunt. Hopefully the tokens wil be visible from a bit of distance.

Guess I'll just have to kill 3 of you. ;)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon May 02, 2011 2:18 pm

ygmir wrote:

everyone

*tosses keys to Simon*

I might propose, we "dose" the water with patchouli, and maybe blue dye, so, as to identify "hippy smurfs" later..........

Personally I always favored my idea of walking into Center Camp with an air cannon full of flea powder for the ones sleeping on the benches.

-Badger

capjbadger

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance