vacuum sealing

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

vacuum sealing

Postby licious d » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 pm

this is my first burn i dont really know what to expect besides what ive read on here but..

i thought it might be a good idea to vacuum seal prepared foods to save room, reduce MOOP and maybe be a convenient way to heat up food..has anybody done this or have any thoughts on this?

i also thought this would be a great way to compact trash and other items.
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby BaconHand » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 pm

We use a vacuum sealer every year to pack good meals with minimal garbage. It's quite common within my local community of burners actually.

I wouldn't worry about compacting your trash, but I do recommend getting something with a lid to keep your garbage in (think ammo can).
BurningMan 2011 honorarium: http://www.s-conductor.com / http://kck.st/hiCSRf
We need your help to make it happen. Please visit the website for more information.
BaconHand

Postby ibdave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Hey, welcome home newbi... welcome..

Lots of info here, do a search and you should find something... 8) 8) 8)

search here sucks, but ya never know..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby licious d » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 pm

BaconHand wrote:We use a vacuum sealer every year to pack good meals with minimal garbage. It's quite common within my local community of burners actually.

I wouldn't worry about compacting your trash, but I do recommend getting something with a lid to keep your garbage in (think ammo can).

--------------------------------
great!

i think for the trash it might be good for stuff like wrappers and make it easier to stow away for the ride home?
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm

We vacuum pack everything, including our clothes.

We VP and freeze the meats especially.

With clothing, it saves spcce, but more importantly keeps everything dust free until it's time to wear it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby licious d » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 pm

ibdave wrote:Hey, welcome home newbi... welcome..

Lots of info here, do a search and you should find something... 8) 8) 8)

search here sucks, but ya never know..

hello! n thank you for the welcome :D

o yeah ive done plenty a searchin n much thread reading but everything that came up under vacuum sealing was very unrelated but got to read some pretty entertaining stuff
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby licious d » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 pm

jkisha wrote:We vacuum pack everything, including our clothes.

We VP and freeze the meats especially.

With clothing, it saves spcce, but more importantly keeps everything dust free until it's time to wear it.

vacuum sealing clothes sounds like a great idea! thanks :D
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 am

But will you have room for the unsealed stuff on the way back? I never figured out the return portion of sealed clothes.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 am

Fortunately, it's never been a problem, we take a huge plastic bin we use for the dirty clothes hopper. Everything is in it's own individual bag too, which sounds wasteful, but having fresh, dust free clothing to put on after a shower is heaven.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BetaBox » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

I VP for a couple of reasons:

1) The bag is tough. What can I say, i am a man with minimal patience at times and tend to shove and what not. ATTN: Playa dust. You are not allowed to start consuming my beef jerky before I am.
2) guaranteed no carbonated food from the dry ice.
3) The meat can float all day long in the cooler water, and I don't worry about juices flowing into my cooler water/sprayer water.
4) Portions are pre-made for instant gratification ready for any type of storage environment. Ziplocks at -70C suck.
5) I pre-buy my favorite sandwich from Zoccolis in Santa Cruz and vacuum pack the bread into a manageable size(sucks but SOO worth it).
6) Pre-frozen smoked meats(or whatever) can be dropped into a pan of boiling water while still in the plastic. Easy cleanup pulled pork/tri-tip.
7) I have a love/hate relationship with oxygen.
BetaBox

Postby teardropper » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm

For clothes, I just use the very largest zip lock bags. You can open them and reseal the rest. Works very well.

I can see that for single portions of food, especially meat, vacuum seal would be great. Baggies DON'T work to keep out water, as in the cooler melt, or the meat juice in, as in nasty, contaminated cooler water and what do you do with it? That is exactly what I would use if I didn't have an ancient motorhome with working gas refrig and freezer.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:50 pm

teardropper wrote:

For clothes, I just use the very largest zip lock bags. You can open them and reseal the rest. Works very well.

I can see that for single portions of food, especially meat, vacuum seal would be great. Baggies DON'T work to keep out water, as in the cooler melt, or the meat juice in, as in nasty, contaminated cooler water and what do you do with it? That is exactly what I would use if I didn't have an ancient motorhome with working gas refrig and freezer.

I found a dollor store waste basket that fit in the cooler.. Keeps the juices where they belong..
unjonharley

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:13 am

A vacuum sealer is worth every penny of the expense it takes to buy a good one. Half the fun is finding stuff to vacuum seal when you first get it.

My personal favorite. Miniature colored marshmallows. Throw and handful in the bag and seal it up. You get this pretty awesome abstract blob of pastel colors all swirled and squished together. Cut the bag open and let the air back in, you have a bag of colored marshmallows again.

This can be repeated as often as you like with the same results on the same marshmallows.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby graidawg » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 pm

CapSmashy wrote:A vacuum sealer is worth every penny of the expense it takes to buy a good one. Half the fun is finding stuff to vacuum seal when you first get it.

My personal favorite. Miniature colored marshmallows. Throw and handful in the bag and seal it up. You get this pretty awesome abstract blob of pastel colors all swirled and squished together. Cut the bag open and let the air back in, you have a bag of colored marshmallows again.

This can be repeated as often as you like with the same results on the same marshmallows.

i am now tempted to buy a vacuum sealer just for this one thing. I dont even like marshmallows particularly
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Sail Man » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:43 pm

CapSmashy wrote:A vacuum sealer is worth every penny of the expense it takes to buy a good one. Half the fun is finding stuff to vacuum seal when you first get it.

I bet you also microwave twinkies too, Cap :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:17 pm

I dunno. Smashy seems like a Deep-Fried Twinkie man to me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

graidawg wrote:

i am now tempted to buy a vacuum sealer just for this one thing. I dont even like marshmallows particularly

They have Wal Marts in the UK? Got a good one, cheap, there.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 pm

TomServo wrote:
graidawg wrote:

They have Wal Marts in the UK? Got a good one, cheap, there.

not yet wal mart bought asda though but i dont go to super markets if i can avoid them.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Actually, I think you could do the same thing with pompom's, too, and not have to deal with marshmellows. And with a heavy enough book and a zip lock you could do it on the cheap. Of course, my sister says they don't have good ziplocks in the UK.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 pm

seal_a_mealed an AK-47 round for ya graidawg!

TomServo

Postby graidawg » Sun May 01, 2011 4:39 am

we dont have anything like ziplocks over here, i got a t shirt mailed to me by MDF in a ziplock, they are way better than we have, i will probably buy some ziplocks to give to friends when i get back here.

TomServo that is cool, bring it to the playa i will put that in my treasure chest.
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Sail Man » Sun May 01, 2011 3:04 pm

TomServo wrote:seal_a_mealed an AK-47 round for ya graidawg!

:D I do mag's like that as well. I even ran across a you tube video on using a food saver to seal rifles in mylar bags.

Good thing they were'nt around when I was younger, probably would have tried to vacuum seal my younger brothers. :roll:

Sail Man

Postby TomServo » Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Must be better than that crap they packed old rifles in. I was cleaning my 1918 Swedish Mauser for days, before I ever fired it.

TomServo

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 01, 2011 7:22 pm

TomServo wrote:Must be better than that crap they packed old rifles in. I was cleaning my 1918 Swedish Mauser for days, before I ever fired it.

Try a supplus miatary motorcycle packed in that shit.. Even the tools in the tool bag..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm

cosmyleen?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sun May 01, 2011 9:12 pm

FIGJAM wrote:cosmyleen?

That's the stuff..
unjonharley

Postby havoc » Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 am

CapSmashy wrote:My personal favorite. Miniature colored marshmallows. Throw and handful in the bag and seal it up. You get this pretty awesome abstract blob of pastel colors all swirled and squished together. Cut the bag open and let the air back in, you have a bag of colored marshmallows again.

most awesome thing i've read all day. i am also tempted to get a vacuum sealer just for this.
havoc

Postby Sail Man » Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am

TomServo wrote:Must be better than that crap they packed old rifles in. I was cleaning my 1918 Swedish Mauser for days, before I ever fired it.

I'm thinking of using these instead of cosmoline gun storage bags

Sail Man

Postby licious d » Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm

wow that sounds amazing!!!
great stuff posted on here! as far as resealing our camp is going to get a cheap vacuum from the thrift store to reseal the magic bags :D
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby TomServo » Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 pm

licious d wrote:

wow that sounds amazing!!!
great stuff posted on here! as far as resealing our camp is going to get a cheap vacuum from the thrift store to reseal the magic bags :D

Hopefully it comes with instructions. If not Ill post a video of how to use it. Be patient with the machine!

TomServo

Return to Food & Drink