Water Trucks.."One More Time"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Water Trucks.."One More Time"

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:50 am

The water from the water truck is "NOT" POTABLE!! This means that the water from the water truck has NOT been treated to kill all the little LIVING thing that float around in it. If you get some of these little critters in your eyes, ears nose, mouth or up YOUR.. You could become VERY sick. Some water boron sicknesses can last for months or longer.
Many people at Burning Man will tell you. They have washed behind the water truck for years. That they have not gotten sick from it. I say: That's nice, I don't want to be the one that gets sick. Some may have become ill and blamed it on other things. These folks just don't want to believe the water is NOT POTABLE.

Is that condincending enough?
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby Bob A » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:30 pm

Lake Water, River water and the ocean are not potable, but people swim in them. Aren’t the springs around frog pond and maybe frog pond itself used by people to swim in?

Just because water is not potable does not mean you can't swim in it just don’t drink it. Water is graded I believe class A is drinkable class B is swimable and anything below that well .....

So what class water are the pumping, not A for sure, is it B I doubt it would be any lower with the number of people around and environmental issues.

Bob A
Bob A

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:21 pm

I have a brother that was brain damaged from swiming in non flowing water.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby ness » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:13 pm

they take well over a 1,000,000 gals of water...Its flowing
ness

Postby ness » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:30 pm

If you dont trust the water then stay the hell out of it, but dont take it on your self to keep everyone else away from it.
ness

Postby Tancorix » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:26 pm

I've survived Frog Pond water for 2 years now with no adverse effects. Again simply don't drink the stuff.

There's a lot of people saying don't do this, don't do that...it's all part of the slippery slope that will eventually kill off the event as we know it.
Tancorix

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:46 pm

The hot springs are off-limits during the event, but god forbid that would stop some jerkwad from implying on the eplaya that they weren't.

Re: "potable", the health dept is typically just as concerned wrt to tanks used to transport or store the water as they are with the source water, and I've seen enough rats, vermin and other trash floating around in tanks and tank trucks to agree with their approach. YMMV.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob A » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:21 pm

Bob wrote:The hot springs are off-limits during the event, but god forbid that would stop some jerkwad from implying on the eplaya that they weren't.

I assume you mean me since I'm the only one in this thread who mentioned the springs. Forgive me for not being precise enough for you. I was not referring to using the springs during the event. I was talking about the rest of the year when people do you use them. And I was asking if people swim in Frog pound since from reading the restoration info on the main web site they talk about public areas places to picnic and day camping. I'm guessing people would only want to day camp there if they could swim someplace around there. Not during the event of course, that would be too much strain on the Eco system.

Bob A
Bob A

Postby Badger » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:24 pm

And I was asking if people swim in Frog pound since from reading the restoration info on the main web site they talk about public areas places to picnic and day camping.

I wouldn't quite call it a swim. Soak while standing, siting paddling about - in some areas. Not really big enough for a good swim.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Stormy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:26 pm

Bob A wrote:
Bob wrote:The hot springs are off-limits during the event, but god forbid that would stop some jerkwad from implying on the eplaya that they weren't.

I assume you mean me since I'm the only one in this thread who mentioned the springs. Forgive me for not being precise enough for you. I was not referring to using the springs during the event. I was talking about the rest of the year when people do you use them. And I was asking if people swim in Frog pound since from reading the restoration info on the main web site they talk about public areas places to picnic and day camping. I'm guessing people would only want to day camp there if they could swim someplace around there. Not during the event of course, that would be too much strain on the Eco system.

Bob A

I've swum in Frog Pond and know others who have done it for years. I don't recall any of them getting sick. Just like swimming anywhere else, don't get water in your mouth if you can help it.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:27 pm

diffrent thread and the topic is still funny.

CALLING ALL PRINCE'S AND PRINCESSES. YOUR KISSES WILL BE NEEDED FOR ALL BURNER PEOPLE THAT HAVE TURNED INTO FROG'S FROM THE WATER TRUCK'S "FROG POND" WATER.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Simply Joel » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:17 am

When all else fails, re-read your ticket to the event.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

please sir, may I have some more.

Postby mopsy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:28 pm

If the water isn't potable then how do they carry it in the trucks?
mopsy

Postby Badger » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:07 pm

If the water isn't potable then how do they carry it in the trucks?

They'll probably have a fire line. my understanding is that the (or one of the) water trucks was involved in an accident recently.

Did you say dust?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:25 pm

Wasn't the dust. It fell in the creek.

The crew building the NUMI plant next to the shop should pick up the slack.

Uhuh.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:42 pm

damn this gets funnier and funnier. :lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

water trucks

Postby Honey » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:50 am

I have been running a water truck for the film industry for 10 years and I,ve taken one up to the Burn 2 times. I camp at frog while I'm there and
I can tell you this. That water is better then what most of you pull out of your tap ay home! Are the trucks clean? NO! People swim in them and operators draft water from other sources all year. But should you cook with or drink from ground or spring water ? Not if you have a choice! The only thing on this topic that matters is that people stay fhe fuck away from the springs during the event !!! If the owener of the property trips on too many people out there we loose the water rights. No dust control no event!
Honey

Re: water trucks

Postby midgetsonparade » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:26 am

Honey wrote:I have been running a water truck for the film industry for 10 years and I,ve taken one up to the Burn 2 times. I camp at frog while I'm there and
I can tell you this. That water is better then what most of you pull out of your tap ay home! Are the trucks clean? NO! People swim in them and operators draft water from other sources all year. But should you cook with or drink from ground or spring water ? Not if you have a choice! The only thing on this topic that matters is that people stay fhe fuck away from the springs during the event !!! If the owener of the property trips on too many people out there we loose the water rights. No dust control no event!

Huuzah bitches! Thats that.
midgetsonparade

Return to Politics & Philosophy