Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Extra TP?

Hella!
64%
Yes.
36%

Total votes : 25

Postby Sail Man » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Last year we forgot our cold weather gear. Fortunately we had a friend camping with us who stopped in Reno on the way in to hit a store for us to save our asses from freezing.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby gypsy68 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 pm

saline nasal spray
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Dental floss. (You'll thank me later)
Q-tips
extra shoe laces
Aspirin
Vinegar
Moo Goo
Super glue
a spare tent
a lot of lighters
dry roasted peanuts
a GOOD can opener
a surge protector
a hank of cotton rope
safety pins
draw string garbage bags
4" pipe union w a cap for pounding rebar
"girl stuff" and ziplocs to put them in (even if you don't think you'll need them)
and finally...
a cubic fuck load of beer
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

4" pipe union w a cap for pounding rebar

Would this be a t-shaped piece of pipe used as a guard (and larger striking surface?) What's it made out of? Is the cap between my hammer and the end of the rebar, or . . . ?

I'd be much obliged if Robbidobbs or someone could elaborate. I've only owned my own shade since last August, and am looking to make the rebar pounding go by more quickly next time. I wear gloves, but I'd like some extra buffer between me and the rebar.

Searching under "4 inch pipe with cap" at Amzn has not been as illuminating as I would like, even when I narrow it down to Tools and Hardware.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Go to hardware store:
buy a 3/4" galvanized pipe that's 4" long with threads at both ends
buy a 3/4" end cap to screw onto it
use some glue to keep it on. This is a long term tool.

The goal is to have a surface that's slightly larger than your 1/2" rebar stakes to pound on.

2 years ago, someone at camp loaned Gonzo one of these, and it is da Bomb! Thank you, whoever you are.

We now have one of our own. Clever tool-using monkey.

For t-stakes: invest in a t-stake pounder. $40. They are amazing!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Fantastic, Robbidobbs! Thanks very much. I'll be so pleased to try it out.
Savannah

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

robbidobbs wrote:

For t-stakes: invest in a t-stake pounder. $40. They are amazing!

Have had my T post driver for 40years.. 18inches of 2 1/2 inch pipe with a steel plate weided in the end... Then I bought a puller. 15$ @ Harbor Fr.. The handle broke at the pivit point. so Install a hunk of square steel most of the way up the handle and drilled for the pivit pin.. Getting T post out is not always a cinch..
unjonharley

Postby duder9000 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:22 am

Baby wipes. For EVERYTHING (dish "washing", noseblowing, french baths).

I recommend the ones without all the extra aloe and scented crap, especially when using for dishwashing.
duder9000

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 am

duder9000 wrote:Baby wipes. For EVERYTHING (dish "washing", noseblowing, french baths).

I recommend the ones without all the extra aloe and scented crap, especially when using for dishwashing.

I'm an all stainless steel person.. Wipe out/off every thing then boil and remove from heat for a quick air dry.. Keeps the food poison away..
unjonharley

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:18 pm

unjonharley wrote:
duder9000 wrote:Baby wipes. For EVERYTHING (dish "washing", noseblowing, french baths).

I'm an all stainless steel person.. Wipe out/off every thing then boil and remove from heat for a quick air dry.. Keeps the food poison away..

We used spray bottles one with water and soap for washing dishes, another with plain water for rinsing. However this year will all be paper plates, cups and bowls. The only thing I want to have to wash are my chilled beer mugs and champagne glasses, and pots and pans.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I keep a few plastic wrapped sporks in my car door, like the ones you get with fast food. They have come in handy more than once on camping trips.

extra duct tape (try gorilla tape) extra rope or parachute line, extra pocket knife. I have found each of these three things under the tent or shade floor when I packed up to leave. Remember to peek under there for the thing you swore you just saw when you are setting up. I don't bring two drilling hammers, but that's another thing that gets covered up during set-up, along with tent stakes.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Re: Post something I'll forget to bring!

Postby Rabbette » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 am

A jacket and coat. That was the only thing I forgot to bring but luckily remembered before entering the burn. Stopped at a thrift store and got some pretty snazzy ones to wear.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:32 am

I forgot gel insoles this year, but Motsky managed to get a text out to Danger, who picked up a pair for me before Gates. Feet saved.

(He forgot the hooker C187 & I requested, but I eventually got past it.)
Savannah

Postby Raymaker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 am

an extra suitcase, we crammed everything into 2 suitcases and two carry on bags this year, one suitcase weighed 88lbs so American Airlines fined us $200 extra for that, another suitcase would have cost us $50 (?) extra only.
Raymaker

Postby Rabbette » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:55 am

Raymaker wrote:an extra suitcase, we crammed everything into 2 suitcases and two carry on bags this year, one suitcase weighed 88lbs so American Airlines fined us $200 extra for that, another suitcase would have cost us $50 (?) extra only.

Aww what a rip.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby skibear » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 am

Raymaker wrote:an extra suitcase, we crammed everything into 2 suitcases and two carry on bags this year, one suitcase weighed 88lbs so American Airlines fined us $200 extra for that, another suitcase would have cost us $50 (?) extra only.

You could fly on Southwest, like me, & have no baggage fees for 2 large checked bags & one large carry-on.
I weigh the suitcases and after initial packing one weighed 60 lbs & 2nd weighed 53 lbs. After removing much stuff
(repurchased some in Reno) & transferring some heavy items to the carryon both checked bags weighed 49.5 lbs.

They only charge $50 for the 3rd bag. (too much to Schlep thru airports as I age !)

My only thing I removed & regret I didn't replace was lamps. My camp had a power grid but I only brought 2 lights & the
one with a weird R-14 bulb soon broke. Luckly I had a number of hand held LED lights.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Savannah wrote:(He forgot the hooker C187 & I requested, but I eventually got past it.)

I just don't know how you enjoyed your burn?

Don't forget a few extra pairs of sunglasses. Some years, I go through 3 pairs. Some years I go through 1. So I bring plenty. And normally any that are lost turn up when we de-dust at home.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Ow, sorry to hear it Raymaker. You may also want to try to pack a lightweight soft-side duffle bag when flying and space seems tight. That's saved my ass a few times, so has shipping some of the excess home separately (places like UPS Store or Fedex/Kinko's can box as well as ship for you).

We forgot a random assortment of things, none of it absolutely essential. A rubber slip-mat (like the kind they have in commercial kitchens or behind bars) for the shower - we use it in the kitchen back at home, and totally spaced on packing it. I also forgot a bin of my playawear, I forgot a box of power strips (luckily we were able to get word to a campmate arriving later in the week), and we forgot a few bottles of booze (how it got separated from the rest of the stuff we'd been stockpiling, I'll never know).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 pm

A pillow and pajama bottoms, but I saw a post on ePlaya en route and it jogged my memory so I picked them up in Salt Lake. Somehow, with the other spur of the moment items, it cost me $84....... at Walmart!
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Elorrum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm

yep pillow. seriously half the times I go camping I forget this. I can make to with a balled up fleece jacket, but a pillow is so much nicer.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Rectal thermometer
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby Eddie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:17 am

MOOP_Nazi wrote:Rectal thermometer

You know how to tell the difference between a rectal thermometer and a regular one?

The taste. :roll:
Eddie

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks