I want to skydive into burning man!!!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

I want to skydive into burning man!!!

Postby tobiasilver » Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey I would LOVE to skydive into burning man. it would be unfairly epic. does anybody know how to make this happen? I saw the burningsky camp, but they require 100 jumps which i'm not even close to having. I've been once so i would need a tandem partner who knows what their doing. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Can't wait!

Toby
tobiasilver

Postby ygmir » Tue May 25, 2010 4:31 pm

He's looking for a tandem partner.......

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sham » Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm

There are no tandem jumps into BRC and there is no way around the experienced jumper rules. The best you're gonna get is a seat on the plane to observe a plane full of partially clad hippies jumping, while you land safely with the pilot.

You can google Burning Sky and contact them for the ticket to observe.
Sham

Postby Sham » Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 pm

http://burningsky(dot)org
email: ken(at)burningsky(dot)org

There are a limited amount of spots on the skydiving plane for people wishing to experience something amazing and take some outstanding pictures. Rates have always been reasonable, but not sure what they are this year.

Edited months later (7/6/11) to change email address and website to something less bot friendly.
Last edited by Sham on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sham

Postby k8e » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

why aren't tandem jumps aloud?
k8e

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Probably because winds are difficult there.
gyre

Postby Sham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 pm

k8e wrote:why aren't tandem jumps aloud?

Tandem jumps are not aloud (allowed) due to safety issues of inexperienced skydivers jumping into BRC. You MUST be an experienced skydiver with 100 jumps under your skirt and you will be allowed to jump.
There are observer seats on the planes (see links above) and you will get a great view of BRC from the sky. After the divers jump, the nose dive towards earth is pretty extreme. It's a good thing I wasn't wearing underwear! :shock:
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Shambala wrote:It's a good thing I wasn't wearing underwear! :shock:

Ewww! I hope you didn't hit anyone...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Shambala wrote:It's a good thing I wasn't wearing underwear! :shock:

Ewww! I hope you didn't hit anyone...

Just be thankful cows don't fly!

Roger that...no newbie jumpers at BM! This is not the place to bring your beginner jumping skills.

Now then, as a pilot (of dragons)...why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good flying machine?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Re: I want to skydive into burning man!!!

Postby VividViews » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Tandems aren't done by our camp for a simple reason. A tandem rig is someone's $6000-$8000 investment in a means of making a living. These are full-time, professional instructors who use the gear to feed their families, keep a roof over their head, etc. The playa is simply too harsh of an environment to jeopardize that gear.

There are no restrictions or rules against making a tandem jump into Burning Man and you don't have to jump with Burning Sky. We don't have a monopoly on the playa. Anyone with the certification, training, gear and airplane can share the space. It takes considerable advance planning and isn't cheap to ferry a plane and the needed fuel but it can be done. Be sure to coordinate with the airport

Chris - BurningSky.org
- Chris Norton
VividViews

Return to Transportation