What exactly do you think the admin is suppose to do?

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

What exactly do you think the admin is suppose to do?

Postby angrykittie25 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:00 pm

There have been a lot of posts basically flogging the admin, specifically technopatra because she is doing what she volunteered to do. Everyone sees the TOS and Community Guidlines when they register their screen name. I am sure a lot of people don't read them, but that is their problem. What I am wondering is what exactly do you want the admin to do? Would you rather there be no admin and have the board and possibly Burning man shut down or get sued for content that some anonymous user posts that no one deletes or makes clear that burning man is against such content. I am curious to everyone's thoughts on this matter.
angrykittie25

Re: What exactly do you think the admin is suppose to do?

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:15 pm

angrykittie25 wrote:There have been a lot of posts basically flogging the admin, specifically technopatra because she is doing what she volunteered to do. Everyone sees the TOS and Community Guidlines when they register their screen name. I am sure a lot of people don't read them, but that is their problem. What I am wondering is what exactly do you want the admin to do? Would you rather there be no admin and have the board and possibly Burning man shut down or get sued for content that some anonymous user posts that no one deletes or makes clear that burning man is against such content. I am curious to everyone's thoughts on this matter.

you are inarguably right kittie...what more could be said?
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:07 am

cowboyangel wrote:you are inarguably right kittie...what more could be said?

"think more, type less".... comes to mind, since you asked.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

Postby Tancorix » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:26 am

Simply Joel wrote:"think more, type less".... comes to mind, since you asked.

Many of us need to do that including myself. I really miss that edit button.
Tancorix

Postby stuart » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:28 am

what exactly do you want the admin to do?

nothing differently
stuart

Postby Sensei » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:01 pm

What Stuart said.
Sensei

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:25 pm

If I write
Worship my every post

I'll be roundly castigated, wont I?
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BAS » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:59 pm

I'll be roundly castigated, wont I?

Nah, I just plan on ignoring that post! :? DOH! :oops:

On topic, all I want the admins to do is keep things running smoothly, and they seem to be doing just that! :D
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:03 pm

what exactly do you want the admin to do?

Make DVD Burner king of the world.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:08 pm

angrykittie25 wrote: what exactly do you want the admin to do?

Come out cruising on the Playa Cruiser and have margaritas.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby angrykittie25 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:55 pm

Well this thread is much more civil than I expected. It looks like only the people who regularly support the admin's actions have decided to make comments, which is great. I'm just wondering why all the people who complain aren't posting any comments. This isn't a thread to invite you in for a nasty flame war. I really am curious as to what those who diagree with admin decisions, think would make this place more to their liking.
angrykittie25

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:02 pm

angrykittie,

The people that usually complain only complain when something good is going on.

Oh wait a minute, this thread has something good going on. you're right.

How come there are no complaints? :shock:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby stuart » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:07 pm

so then, by this definition, camp israel is a good thing.

<sorry, just helping out with the civility thing>
stuart

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:15 pm

stuart wrote:

so then, by this definition, camp israel is a good thing.

<sorry, just helping out with the civility thing>

man.....that thread is cursed.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby blyslv » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:00 pm

I'm available for spankings, if that's what the admin decides.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:35 pm

Soon the Eplaya will fade into the playa and we can be free from our pent up anger that the outside world does to us.

Though, I think the flaming is much less this year then last year, but we do have almost two months to go.

Which reminds me of a joke:

A little rabbit is happily running through the forest when
he stumbles upon a giraffe rolling a joint.

The rabbit looks at her and says,
"Giraffe my friend, why do you do this? Come. Run with me through the forest! You'll feel so much better!" The giraffe looks at him, looks at the joint, tosses it and goes off running with the rabbit.

Then they come across an elephant doing coke. So the rabbit again says, "Elephant my friend, why do you do this? Think about your health.
Come. Run with us through the pretty forest, you'll see, you'll feel so good!" The elephant looks at them, looks at his razor, mirror and
all, then tosses them and starts running with the rabbit and
giraffe.

The three animals then come across a lion about to shoot
up...

"Lion my friend, why do you do this? Think about your
health! Come. Run with us through the sunny forest, you'll feel so good!" The lion looks at him, puts down his needle, and starts to
beat the shit out of the little rabbit. As the giraffe and elephant watch in horror, they look at him and ask, "Lion, why did you do this? ... He was merely trying to help us!"

The lion answers,

"That little fucker! He makes me run around the forest like a fucking idiot every time he's on ecstasy!"

End of story.

I guess the moral is that each and everyone of us is an individual and sometimes going by the book is not going to work. Guidelines are just that -guidelines. They can be cold and indifferent. We are people warm and fuzzy. Lets treat each other as such.

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby angrykittie25 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:25 pm

So you complain about the injustices the admin has done to you by crossposting all over the board, and you come to this thread, where your opinion is asked (as well as others opinions), and you tell a joke about drugs and animals? I guess I'm just a little confused.

I guess the moral is that each and everyone of us is an individual and sometimes going by the book is not going to work. Guidelines are just that -guidelines. They can be cold and indifferent. We are people warm and fuzzy. Lets treat each other as such

If you mean "going by the book" as following the rules you agreed to, then yes they will work, with the help of the admin. The rules are not cold and indifferent, they are just general rules. How can guidelinges be warm and fuzzy? They are a safe guard for the people who own/created this site. I guess I am just wondering how your post had anything to do with how you think this board should be run. I really was hoping to hear if you had alternative ideas on how this place should be. Or atleast why you seemed so suprised when the admin took action against your avatar. If I were to put something like that on the board, I would expect something to happen.
angrykittie25

Postby Sensei » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:53 pm

Sounds like he got over it... Way to go, AZ.
Sensei

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 pm

angrykittie25 wrote:So you complain about the injustices the admin has done to you by crossposting all over the board, and you come to this thread, where your opinion is asked (as well as others opinions), and you tell a joke about drugs and animals? I guess I'm just a little confused.

<its how the bunny thought that he could treat everyone in the same way including the Lion. But it was mainly just a joke. A little humor to ease some tension?>

If you mean "going by the book" as following the rules you agreed to, then yes they will work, with the help of the admin. The rules are not cold and indifferent, they are just general rules. How can guidelinges be warm and fuzzy?

<guidelines cannot be warm and fuzzy, but it is how they're appied to the individual is how to remove its coldness and you do it by being personalized- (more below on this). This may sound dumb, but its like the difference of Andy Griffith and Barney Fife. Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying techno is barny which is way I went into the animosity part to explain the cold approach>

I am just wondering how your post had anything to do with how you think this board should be run.

<it was stated in my post if my defense didn't have an effect then its not my fault for trying to change it. As I stated orginally, it was more upset that I didn't recieve a reply to asking whether my Caution! Center Camp Group Sex Ahead was a violation as well. Stickmen can be just as provoking I guess and I didn't what to expelled from eplaya as AZ. And as techno stated the reason for not replying was that she thought I was joking. Which I do alot. So I had to come to her and case study to get a answer and not just to make a change. if a changed developed from my argument well that would be good too.

There was a time when I was first came to eplaya in the 90's, still recovering from an intentional heavy metal poisoning because I had stood up for and fought for other people rights in my community, that I didn't have much of a humor. Every post was so serious and many of you had formed your first impression of me. Some have come to see me as more then then and those my old Barny Fife ways.>

I really was hoping to hear if you had alternative ideas on how this place should be. Or at least why you seemed so suprised when the admin took action against your avatar.

<Was it the actions of an administration or of just one individual? Remember, I had thought it to be innocuous and suprised that it drew the attention. I would have post the many PM's that I did recieved to show you how many different people saw how to approach the same guidelines and all of them took a nondemeaning personalized stance>

Remember what Herself said, "when will you realize that you are not a member of this group, (double standard be damned)"

Now about those written double standards of highly erotic content. I hope they don't go because I had just pointed them because when I get back from BM, I hope to give you the blow by blow of a real live encounter with the strange kind and not this fantasy shit.

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:07 pm

If we use the personalized approach to others there might be less animosity. A case in point is the stop burning man web and related discussions. if everyone takes a defensive position then were does the mediation begin. It takes a person that can see their position and where they are coming from to form a connection with them to start from.

I saw them to be much like me and my defense of the greater yellowstone area and that is how I approched them in my emails that none of you saw and I began to see two people and not just too adversaries. They saw my concern for them in those emails as well.

I made some posts indefense of their position and I also countered their position with the logical approch. BM can be both a bad thing and a good thing to the playa. Other eplayans took the one of the same approach that BM is also a powerful source to combat other dangers to the region and this was a great help- i.e. the power plant. They can realized that the BM money that is wasted by being spent on law enforcement could be used in land rehabilitation around the playa making BM a very good thing for solving problems were caused by BR users other then BM.

before long Maia was contemplating sharing a beer with me and worried that she would have to do so with techno perhaps something she would never imagined doing so in the first place.

As I have always told everyone, someday BM will have to move especially if it grows bigger, but most of the other users will have to do so too, except hikers, mt bikers and horses- remember this area was slated by conservationists as a wilderness long before BM got there. Perhaps BM could still be there too with out the vehicles then. I'm sure many past BMer's would think that a good thing. But that's a discussion for another thread.

thanks Angrykitty for asking more input. Can you be my pyschologist when I get on the playa. I might not need one, but I can tell everyone that your my psyc?

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:27 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:
thanks Angrykitty for asking more input. Can you be my pyschologist when I get on the playa. I might not need one, but I can tell everyone that your my psyc?
Sure. It'll be a lie short of a baby sitting miracle. But BM is about (amoung many other things) playing with the limitations of reality.

(P.S. as a leading baiter of both BBR and the Stop Burningman folks, I have to say if they had ever backed off, gone off the attack and just started talking about thier concerns without throwing around overwrought speech acts and accusations, they would have recieved a civil hearing from me. Maybe I wasn't as capable of the bigness of spirit that you are, but my objections to them were more behavioral than philosophical.)
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: but my objections to them were more behavioral than philosophical.)

Spankings for all for bad behavior!

I'm first!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby spanky » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:00 pm

spankings are my department ;) we should hold a ePlaya spanking on playa where everyone gets to spank everyone else for the year's posts. Yarr!

But, cruising on the playa with margaritas sounds way more fun... Hell we should have a ePlaya Spanking with Margaritas Cruising the Playa Party Thursday Night! (oh boy:!:)
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:33 pm

ObTopic:

Take out the trash.

Literally.

That is all...
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986